BakeSpace.com Member Forums
Welcome to the BakeSpace.com forums. Please email us at babette@bakespace.com once you have register so that we may quickly activate your forum account. Please provide us with your username so we can find your account. Thank you!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Making Wine

Post new topic   Reply to topic    BakeSpace.com Member Forums Forum Index -> Monthly Wine Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BiscottiQueen
Executive Chef

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2009 1:32 pm    Post subject: Making Wine Reply with quote

I have NO idea how to make homemade wines... of ANY kind?! I would like to know some basics please?

I have grape vines growing in our yard now, with the orchard we added and I really would like to make wine one day.

I also have watermelons going out in the garden, and someone suggested making watermelon wine. How would I go about this?!

Any reason to drink... I'm tellin' ya! LOL

http://fromseed.blogspot.com

Try some of my custom biscotti here:

http://biscottiqueen.etsy.com
ddpie
Elite BakeSpacer

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2009 4:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Making Wine Reply with quote

BiscottiQueen wrote:

Any reason to drink... I'm tellin' ya! LOL

LOL @ BQ Very Happy

I asked Jim (he's the winemaker and beer brewer, I do the labels and sleeves, but more importantly, I'm the TASTER and DRINKER LOL) He suggests that you go to a local winery or wine/beer making supply store and start there. They will be able to tell you specifics for recipes, ingredients, steps to processing, what basic equipement you'll need, and also help you along the way if problems/questions arise. This is how he started out and says it was most helpful having a "live" person to go in and talk to. He also suggested that you buy a couple of basic home wine making books.

His first wine (as well as his first beer) was made with a kit. (in lieu of buying seperate ingredients) That might be a good place to start too. That way you could "practice" while waiting for your harvest to come in Smile Hope that helps!

Oh, here's a pic I took of his 2004 collection. He's done quite the variety, usually does them in the fall when we can buy fresh grape juice directly from our local vinyards. He didn't do any last fall (forgot to get on the juice list in time Sad Evil or Very Mad Mad ) So now I'll have to wait until this fall.

Matt74
Capo di tutti Capi

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2009 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow awesome.. Looks very professional what are the 5 kinds in the pic

http://theoutlawgourmand.blogspot.com/
Http://bakespace.com/?matt74
CulinaryAlchemist
Pro BakeSpacer

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2009 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OOOOOOO He made Niagra wine... That is what my dad made the last couple years, although I don't have any from the last bottling... Sometimes he makes elderberry too... I have 1 bottle left I am saving for a special occasion.... (Somthing special needs to happen pretty soon, cause I am running out of patience) Wink

http://bakespace.com/?culinaryalchemist
http://www.twitter.com/CulinaryAlchemy
ddpie
Elite BakeSpacer

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2009 4:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Matt74 wrote:
Wow awesome.. Looks very professional what are the 5 kinds in the pic

Thanks Matt, here's what they are:

Seyval Blanc- very dry, buttery, close to a Chardonnay. This one was just a bit too dry for me so I used most of it up last summer using it for wine sauce and making peach Sangria (dang it was good LOL)

Seyval Blush- semi-dry (the blanc, blended with the barrel red) This was a fav amoung the "Zinfandel" type people hahahaha

Barrel Red- concord grape, semi-sweet red, lingering oak finish. (we don't have the luxury of an oak barrel, but he flavors this one with oak chips) Oh I have to say this was my absolute fav. Although, the one he did the year prior was even better

Niagra- a full bodied semi-sweet white. (that might not make sense for a white, but these grapes are very flavorful and rich) This is Jim's favorite too Shane. (Everyone's favorite really) This one was a very good year! He had made 2 batches because the vineyards were loaded, so we were able to purchase more juice. Unfortunately, it's so popular with our friends and fam that it goes fast because we give it away as gifts. For weddings, I usually do a label with the bride & groom's name and the date of their wedding. I give them two, one to enjoy on their honeymoon and one to enjoy on their first anniversary.

Chancellor Noir- a slightly dryer red than the barrel red and it had a more subtle oak finish. With this one, I didn't like it while it was young at all. So I let the case sit for about 4 years and when I finally revisited it, oh man....it was GONE in no time. (not just me, but guests loved it too, LOL I know what you're thinking....DD is a LUSH! HA!)

Since then, he's made a concord grape (no oak) and more Niagra. That was a couple of years ago and between Xmas parties, weddings and hostess gifts, they're already gone.

In fact, aside from only 2 bottles of Seyval blanc, there aaaaaallllll gone Sad sniff sniff. Hindsite, I would have been more diligent about saving just a few bottles of each, to enjoy and compare years later. But I don't have a wine cellar, just a spot under our stairs (that stays cool) and it gets a bit cumbersome trying to store just cases under there. (Plus I really need to quit giving so much of it away). Sooooooo, I'll build a wine rack and get a big stick or cattle prod, maybe that will be enough motivation for hubby this fall. LOL
BiscottiQueen
Executive Chef

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2009 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh wow that is so awesome!!! this will really get hubby's attention... he LOVES his grapes to pieces, and will die to do something like this. In fact, I'm all about being his taster. Very Happy

Thanks so much for the advice, I'll look into a kit and try it with the watermelon this year maybe... I have a winery that opened here in town last fall and I am DYING to try their wines as is. Maybe they will have some good advice. Cool

http://fromseed.blogspot.com

Try some of my custom biscotti here:

http://biscottiqueen.etsy.com
ddpie
Elite BakeSpacer

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2009 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, I almost forgot.....we go to our winery (which also sells all the ingredients and equipment for home production) do a tasting, and then that's how we decide which grape juice to buy in the fall. They tell us what to do, how much to use yadda yadda yadda. So far, every one of the wines that Jim has tried to duplicate he has either hit it right on, or they're just slightly different than the winery.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BakeSpace.com Member Forums Forum Index -> Monthly Wine Chat All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: