BakeSpace.com Member Forums
Welcome to the BakeSpace.com forums. Please email us at babette@bakespace.com once you have register so that we may quickly activate your forum account. Please provide us with your username so we can find your account. Thank you!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

What should we plant in the fall?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    BakeSpace.com Member Forums Forum Index -> Home, Garden & Pets
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gigi421
Pro Chef

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2009 5:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is another plant they suggested planting in the fall that will bloom for a long time.

I love these hydranga trees, this one is next door.........maybe I can get the man to plant one this year.

"People will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel."
ddpie
Elite BakeSpacer

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2009 5:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Patience with the wisteria...it kind of grows like trees or bushes....rest, slow, then grow. Meaning, the first year it won't do well at all it is resting, the second year it does ok, but the third year it takes off.

I have Clematis too, they usually do very well the first year you plant them. Now, some will tell you to cut down the vines to about 18" in the fall, but I have mine climbing up the side of the lattice on our tallest deck (on the west side) and when I just leave the vines, they're FULL of blooms the next year. Whenever I've cut them back, not so well. So I'd try leaving them and NOT cutting them back and see what happens. Clematis like cool feet and hot heads, so plant something low growing around the base or, make sure they're mulched really well and the flower heads will hit the get the hottest part of the sun. FYI....clematis come in different colors as well as different blooming seasons..so you could plant one that blooms early spring, one early summer and one late summer. (Because their blooms don't last very long.)

As for the black eyed susans, so were they all purchased the same time? you just planted them different places? If so, I'd yank 'em and try new plants next spring since they're not doing well in either spot.
Gigi421
Pro Chef

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2009 6:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The susan's have been in since we moved here 6 years ago, the landscaper planted them...............I'm yanking them this weekend.

"People will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel."
ddpie
Elite BakeSpacer

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2009 6:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gigi421 wrote:
The susan's have been in since we moved here 6 years ago, the landscaper planted them...............I'm yanking them this weekend.

oh yeah, then they've come from the same place and they're definitely suffering from the same problem.
fanmajie
Pro BakeSpacer

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2009 6:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ddpie wrote:
Fan- since you don't have much room, maybe you could stack pots in a corner? "build up" so to speak. A large pot, then a medium pot, then a smaller pot on top of that. Or....is there anyplace to hang something from? like do more hanging baskets?

No DDPie, simply no place to hang things like baskets, on top of that the fence is quite wobbly. I do have two pots with big plants [one is somewhat hidden on the picture] and the little tree with the berries. I can't really build that up for there's a window too. If I put in more things in it, I just wouldn't know where to plant myself and friends on nice summer evenings. It looks a bit empty perhaps, but I'm worried that if I put in too much in such a small area the spacy feeling of the place goes down the drain and I might feel trapped.

知人者智,自知者明
ddpie
Elite BakeSpacer

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2009 6:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

fanmajie wrote:
ddpie wrote:
Fan- since you don't have much room, maybe you could stack pots in a corner? "build up" so to speak. A large pot, then a medium pot, then a smaller pot on top of that. Or....is there anyplace to hang something from? like do more hanging baskets?

No DDPie, simply no place to hang things like baskets, on top of that the fence is quite wobbly. I do have two pots with big plants [one is somewhat hidden on the picture] and the little tree with the berries. I can't really build that up for there's a window too. If I put in more things in it, I just wouldn't know where to plant myself and friends on nice summer evenings. It looks a bit empty perhaps, but I'm worried that if I put in too much in such a small area the spacy feeling of the place goes down the drain and I might feel trapped.

right, that's what I was thinking, not too much room to work with there! I could come to visit and just sit with a flower pot on my head....I've been known to wear lampshades...when alcohol was being served of course! LOL Very Happy
fanmajie
Pro BakeSpacer

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2009 6:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DDPie - What do I need to serve to make you wear a flower pot?

知人者智,自知者明
ddpie
Elite BakeSpacer

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2009 6:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

fanmajie wrote:
DDPie - What do I need to serve to make you wear a flower pot?

hahahahaha, it wouldn't take much! I'm crazy like that Very Happy
BiscottiQueen
Executive Chef

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2009 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have blanket flower I put in in the spring and it blooms until late fall. I also have yellow cone flower that blooms through October here. I have pestamon that grows and blooms until almost november. It loves cool nites!

As for what I put in theground in the fall, I do put in my bushes and trees for sure. We're planting some Peach trees this month, along with fall bulbs (crocus and tulips and iris this year) and some rhodedendrea bushes.

I'm transplanting a hibiscus bush too.

For my food, I've put in Cabbage, carrots and brocolli already. I'm putting in radish and lettuce this weekend as well. Its a great time to put in those greens. Its also a great time to put in started onions bulbs into the ground to harvest next year, as well as starting onion seeds in the house to transplant next month.

Its a little late for potatoes, I put mine in the first week of August... but if you find a good short season potato that you plan on eating as a new potato and not storing all winter, you can do potatoes. Smile

Now is also the time to dig up your spring bulbs and split them so you can have more next season. Like tulips and iris's and daffodils. They are good for multipling and not having to buy more to grow more!!! Wait at least 2 seasons before you dig them up from originally planting them... and don't do iris's more then every other year or chance losing blooms in the spring.

I am just curious as to whether or not this is a good time to split perenials?!

http://fromseed.blogspot.com

Try some of my custom biscotti here:

http://biscottiqueen.etsy.com
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BakeSpace.com Member Forums Forum Index -> Home, Garden & Pets All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: