BakeSpace.com Member Forums
Welcome to the BakeSpace.com forums. Please email us at babette@bakespace.com once you have register so that we may quickly activate your forum account. Please provide us with your username so we can find your account. Thank you!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

a more firm "whipped" topping
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    BakeSpace.com Member Forums Forum Index -> Cooking S.O.S.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ddpie
Elite BakeSpacer

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2007 9:13 am    Post subject: a more firm "whipped" topping Reply with quote

I'm looking specifically for a recipe for a whipped topping, for a cream pie for example, that is similar to what you would buy in a bakery or store...you know, one with a firmer body than that of "cool whip" etc. (It's like so thick they usually have it pipped on) Does that make sense?

When I try to do a whipped topping using cream it still doesn't seem to have the right consistency. I've tried this with half and half, heavy cream and "whipping" cream. Or maybe there's a trick? Thanks in advance.
Cary
Junior Sous Chef

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2007 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi ddpie
I would suggest you still use cream however pay attention to the good stuff, butter fat content.
I use heavy cream = 35% BF
Make sure everything is cold. If you beat it enough you should be able to cut it with a knife without it collapsing. I used to use only a whisk would have been OK if I had "Popeye Arms" but since I don't, I use a beater.
Hope this helps.
Cary
julib
Capo di tutti Capi

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2007 10:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i have a recipe for chantilly cream which is a little more dense and can be flavored...you incorporate some gelatin into it for added durability...
i will try to find it.

http://theadventurouseater.com
Sunny
Capo di tutti Capi

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2007 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This one is easy...
use Oetker Whip It. It is a stabilizer for whipping cream.
http://www.oetker.ca/cgi-bin/WebObjects/oetker.woa/wa/page?focus=CA&option=prd_313&destination=page_36

dutchmom4
Pro Chef

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2007 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

STABILIZED WHIPPED CREAM
A Wilton's Cake Decorating Recipe

1 tsp unflavored gelatine
4 tsp cold water
1 cup whipping cream (35%)
1/4 cup icing(confectioners) sugar -- or to taste
1/2 tsp pure vanilla

Combine gelatine and cold water in small saucepan. Let stand until thick. Place over low heat, stirring constantly until gelatine dissolves. Remove from heat and cool slightly.

Whip cream, sugar and vanilla until soft peaks form. While beating, very gradually add gelatine. Whip at high speed until cream is stiff.
Yield: 2 cups

NOTES: Cakes iced with whipped cream must be stored in refrigerator.
This recipe can be used to ice a cake, make outlines or decorate with stars and shells, but not recommended for flowers.
It can only be tinted pastel colours; best to use decorator paste colours.

http://bakespace.com/?dutchmom4
dutchmom4
Pro Chef

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2007 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stabilize it. By doing this, the whip cream will hold longer and you can make it up to 24 hours ahead, refrigerate, and will only lose about a tablespoon of liquid.

Whipping Cream, Stabilized Whip Cream

1 C. heavy cream or whipping cream
2 Tablespoons confectioners sugar
1 teaspoon cornstarch

In small saucepan, place confectioners sugar and cornstarch. Mix to blend.
Add GRADUALLY, 4 Tablespoons or 1/4 c. of the cream, stirring all the while to blend.
Bring to a boil, stirring constantly to dissolve the cornstarch and sugar, and cook until thick.
Remove from heat and let cool to room temp.
Place the cooled mixture in bottom of mixing bowl.
Gradually beat in the remaining 3/4 c. cream. Continue beating until still peaks form.
This can be doubled if needed.

dutchmom4
Pro Chef

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2007 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have also read that if you can get professional whipping cream (40% butterfat), you may not need to stabilize the whipping cream.

ddpie
Elite BakeSpacer

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 4:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow thanks guys, and thanks Vicki for the recipes, I will try them both out and compare and let ya know! Smile
dutchmom4
Pro Chef

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 4:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quick note - I haven't tried either recipe, but I received the recipes for people who have used them with success. Can't wait to hear how they work out.

HerBoudoir
Commis Chef

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2007 8:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I typically use a version of beaten white chocolate ganache when I want to have a very stable whipped cream. The white chocolate when chilled will give you a firmer whipped cream with a great flavor and texture.

Make a white chocolate ganache by chopping 3 ounces of good quality white chocolate (I usually use Ghiardelli) and mixing lightly with 1/4 cup heavy cream. Melt in microwave on 50% power in 20 second intervals, mixing in between, until ganache is smooth. Set aside to cool to room temp.

Chill your mixer bowl and beaters in the freezer. Beat 1 cup VERY COLD heavy cream to soft peak, then add the white chocolate ganache. Beat to firm peak, being careful not to overbeat.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BakeSpace.com Member Forums Forum Index -> Cooking S.O.S. All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: