BakeSpace.com Member Forums
Welcome to the BakeSpace.com forums. Please email us at babette@bakespace.com once you have register so that we may quickly activate your forum account. Please provide us with your username so we can find your account. Thank you!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Thanksgiving Ideas

Post new topic   Reply to topic    BakeSpace.com Member Forums Forum Index -> Cooking S.O.S.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Babette
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2006 4:20 pm    Post subject: Thanksgiving Ideas Reply with quote

Tips and tricks for dealing with Thanksgiving dinner.
Babette
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2006 4:39 pm    Post subject: Past BakeSpace Pantry Entries Reply with quote

HusbandLover 09-03-2006
Any recommendations regarding specific recipes, planning, style, etiquette, ect. I will be hosting for my first time this year and am very excited/nervous.

Becky 09-13-2006
Husband let me know what type of dishes you might want to serve and maybe I can suggest some --

Stephen 09-16-2006
I sent you an email. I have made some specific suggestions. but I also have collected about 15 years of recipes from Bon Appetit,Martha Steward and Gourmet. I have settled on some favorites that suit the family palate, so you may want to try something different. Still, I'd love to help.

Amy 09-16-2006
Hi, I'm new to this bakespace thing. But I have a recipe that I got off a message board last year for Stuffing made in the crockpot. It is very good and so easy!We'll see if this posts correctly. I am copying it from Word. The doctored up Pepperidge Farm? Sure!

Slow Cooker Holiday Stuffing
(Pam/Fan of Pern)

2 large packages ('more than enough to stuff a 12-14 pound turkey') Pepperidge Farms Herb Seasoned Cubed Stuffing Mix
defatted home made vegetable, chicken or turkey stock
extra light olive oil
chopped onion
crushed garlic
chopped celery
chopped green and red pepper
sliced fresh mushrooms
additional add ins (optional):
chopped nuts
simmered giblets, shredded
fresh oysters
water chestnuts

Mix stuffing mix with warm stock, according to package directions. The soup stock is substituted in equivalent amount for the butter/margerine and water liquid suggested. Remember you are making two packages, so double the amount of liquid given on the package for one package. Allow to cool while fixing vegetables.

Gently sauté the listed vegetables in the order given in the oil until tender but not colored. You can pick and choose the vegetables you want; these are our preferred mix. Measure out two cups of the sautéd vegetables and mix gently throughout the prepared stuffing. You can also mix in any of the optional additions to your taste.

Using an olive oil mister, or non-stick cooking spray, spray the oven safe crockery insert of a 6 quart oval slow cooker (my Hamilton-Beach one is oven safe to 375ºF). Put the stuffing mixture into the insert, place the insert into the slow cooker, cover, and cook on HIGH for 45 minutes. Reduce heat to LOW, and cook for 4 to 8 hours; it is ready after 4 hours but holds well on LOW up to 8 hours.

If you have a newer crockpot, say five years old or newer, that cooks hot, you’ll need to adjust the cooking time. Cook on HIGH for 45 minutes; cook on LOW for only an hour, than turn to Keep Warm if you have that setting for three to five hours.

Angi 09-18-2006
I would recommend making new recipes ahead of time at least once or twice. That way you don't have any surprises come up that could ruin the menu or make you stressed.

Annie Belle 09-19-2006
What does your family usually do? Any special traditions or foods that you just "have to have" or it wouldn't be Thanksgiving?

In my family, everyone pitches in with the food. The hostess generally provides the turkey and dressing; everyone else fills in with a variety of dishes. That way it isn't so overwhelming to provide food for the entire family. Here's a typical meal: turkey, cornead dressing, green beans, occoli & rice casserole, green salad, green jello salad (with pineapples and nuts), cranberry salad, and for dessert: pies and whatever anybody wants to ing. This list is "the staples" and if someone wants to add something, they just ing it.

Lee 09-22-2006
Here is a traditional Thanksgiving dish. We have made it for generations.
Turnip/Carrot Mash
This is a dish I used to make only at Thanksgiving. I loved it so much that I began making a ton of it and freezing the rest in serving sizes! If you don't like turnip/rutabaga, try this way.

8 servings
40 min total
10 min prep
Change to: servings US Metric
2 lbs carrots
2 lbs turnips or rutabagas
cream or milk
butter
salt
pepper

Boil carrots and turnip/rutabaga SEPARATELY.
When done, mash each SEPARATELY using as much cream, butter, and seasonings to your taste.
Just before serving, drain any liquid formed at the bottom of the bowls and GENTLY combine them both.
You should be able to see both carrot and turnip/rutabaga pieces in the combined dish.
ENJOY!
NB: Depending on your preferences, the amts of carrot vs turnip can be regulated. Leftovers freeze well.
Thanksgiving

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2006 9:24 pm    Post subject: Turkey Reply with quote

One year I deboned a turkey. My girlfriend came over and we did it together, drinking wine and photographing the results. ( I thought about doing a web page.)It took about an hour and half to do it and we didn't cut each other!

The turkey was stuffed with a cornbread and sauage stuffing, rolled, tied and roasted. The best part about it was that everyone liked it. No fighting over white or dark meat. The leftovers fit easily into the refrigerator.

Since then I have done chickens numerous times and smaller turkeys.
Deboning is a great idea for those of you who think outside the carcass!

By the way I saw Martha do it on her old tv program and downloaded the instructions from her website.
Lovecooking
Garde Manger Chef

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2006 5:01 pm    Post subject: Mosaic Turkey in a paper bag Reply with quote

I have always made my turkey in a paper bag, following in my mother's footsteps.

Directions:
Thaw per instructions on turkey and clean well, removing giblets and neck. Butter the inside of a brown paper bag using a whole stick of butter or margerine. Stuff bird if desired. Place bird, breast side up on bag and close (roll or staple). Make small slit where timer is located and allow time to pop up outside of bag.

Place in large roasting pan and cook as directed for roasting turkey.

When timer pops up remove from oven and open carefully, releasing steam from inside of bag.

The best way to slice is to remove the entire side of the breast and cut in half inch slices.

For more fun try Mosaic turkey:
Before baking, loosen the breast skin on the top of the turkey and carefully put fresh spice leaves between flesh and skin.

Here is a picture from a few years ago!
http://www.bakespace.com/index.php?mode=photo_album&act=view&pho_id=2&p_id=4644
anita
Chef

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2006 2:00 pm    Post subject: thanksgiving Reply with quote

Smile I would suggest you bake the turkey and make the gravy. Then each guest could bring the rest using their special recipes.

Nita Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BakeSpace.com Member Forums Forum Index -> Cooking S.O.S. All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: