BakeSpace.com Member Forums
Welcome to the BakeSpace.com forums. Please email us at babette@bakespace.com once you have register so that we may quickly activate your forum account. Please provide us with your username so we can find your account. Thank you!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Looking for Moon Mountain Torte

Post new topic   Reply to topic    BakeSpace.com Member Forums Forum Index -> Recipe Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ElisaBeth

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2006 4:28 am    Post subject: Looking for Moon Mountain Torte Reply with quote

I am looking for a recipe for Moon Mountian Torte. I've had it several times from bakeries, but I can't locate a recipe. I would like to make it for the holidays.
calamity jane
Commis Chef

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2006 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, I have never heard of this one. Perhaps it also has another name? Can you tell us anything about this so perhaps we can come up with something close?
calamity jane
Commis Chef

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2006 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My apologies ElisaBeth. I looked up the moon mountain tort. I didn't find a recipe but I did find a description. It looks delicious. I'll look around some more.
Moon Mountain Torte
Domed mountains of chocolate and crunchy hazelnuts rest on a cake layer laced with rum and hazelnut cream. On top is a rich chocolate glaze sprinkled with white and dark chocolate curls
elisabeth
Commis Chef

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 8:34 am    Post subject: Moon Mountain Torte Reply with quote

I'm not sure what the origin is. I never heard of it until I recently moved to North Carolina. The hazelnut and chocolate is so delicious. Thanks for your help.
cyberchef
Garde Manger Chef

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2006 4:12 pm    Post subject: Moon Mountain Torte Recipe Reply with quote

The origin is an Italian dessert called, "Dolce Baci". It has been re-interpreted in the southern U.S. as the Moon Mountain Torte. I hope this helps!

MOON MOUNTAIN TORTE

10 ounces bittersweet chocolate, chopped
3 1/2 ounces unsweetened chocolate, chopped
13 ounces butter
8 ounces hazelnuts, toasted and chopped
13 1/2 ounces egg yolks
9 ounces egg whites
1 cup super fine sugar
Parchment paper
Pan coating (as needed)

Coat 10-inch spring form pan and place a parchment circle on bottom.

Melt chocolates and butter in bowl over low simmering water or in double boiler. Once melted, set aside to cool slightly.

Toast hazelnuts in a 350 degree F oven for 15 minutes until golden brown. Let cool then rough chop in food processor. Mix into chocolate butter mixture.

In a small mixer with whip attachment, whip yolks with 1 cup of sugar until very thick and pale (about 5 minutes). Fold into chocolate nut mixture, transfer to another bowl.

In clean, small mixer with whip attachment, whip egg whites with remaining super fine sugar until stiff (but not dry) peaks form. Fold egg whites into chocolate/yolk mixture to lighten and until completely incorporated.

Pour into 10-inch spring form. Bake in 325 degree F oven for 1 hour and 15 minutes or until cake is well risen and wooden skewer comes out moist-crumb.

Let stand 15 to 20 minutes and then loosen sides of spring form and remove to cool completely. Store at room temperature.

To Assemble the finished Moon Mountain Torte:

1 Moon Mountain Torte slice
2 ounces hot fudge
1 dollop fresh whipped cream
3 small white chocolate curls
1 large dark chocolate curl
1 small dark chocolate curl
3 to 4 oz hazelnuts, toasted and shaved
Powdered sugar
Small strawberries, sliced into quarters

Cut 10-inch cake into 10 servings. Place one slice in middle of dessert plate. Pour hot fudge over top of cake to form 2 pools on either side of cake. Place the dollop of whipped cream on top of the cake slice. Place sliced strawberries on the plate to one side up against the cake slice.

Then, place a small white chocolate curl and large dark chocolate curl in the whipped cream and one small dark chocolate curl and 2 small white chocolate curls on strawberries. Dust entire cake slice with powdered sugar. Then, sprinkle with hazelnut dust.

This dessert can also be made as smaller, separate cakes. This makes service and assembly easier and able to be done ahead of service time.
http://www.commercialappeal.com/news/2009/jan/07/home-cooking-catherine-laurenzi-bridges/
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
anita
Chef

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2006 5:17 pm    Post subject: torte Reply with quote

Smile That sounds sooo yummy. I am definetley going to try it. Chocolate is my downfall. Thanks for finding it,I bet alot of others will try it too.

Smile anita
Babette
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2006 6:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Looking for Moon Mountain Torte Reply with quote

ElisaBeth wrote:
I am looking for a recipe for Moon Mountian Torte. I've had it several times from bakeries, but I can't locate a recipe. I would like to make it for the holidays.

This was posted today on bakespace.. Smile
http://bakespace.com/index.php?mode=listing&act=show&lst_id=5676
elisabeth
Commis Chef

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2006 12:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Looking for Moon Mountain Torte Reply with quote

Thank you! However, the Moon Mountain Torte I tried had mounds of hazelnut moouse (or something of the sort) on top of the cake.

Your recipe sounds good, I may try it and then make hazelnut praline mounds on top.

Thanks again.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BakeSpace.com Member Forums Forum Index -> Recipe Chat All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: