BakeSpace.com Member Forums
Welcome to the BakeSpace.com forums. Please email us at babette@bakespace.com once you have register so that we may quickly activate your forum account. Please provide us with your username so we can find your account. Thank you!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

December Wine - Shiraz
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    BakeSpace.com Member Forums Forum Index -> Monthly Wine Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Best Wine Taster Review | Shiraz
imstuffed
18%
 18%  [ 2 ]
espressojoe
9%
 9%  [ 1 ]
bobtheDude
9%
 9%  [ 1 ]
spryte
18%
 18%  [ 2 ]
culinaryAlchemist
9%
 9%  [ 1 ]
ddpie
36%
 36%  [ 4 ]
Total Votes : 11

ImStuffed
Over 10,000 Posts Club

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2009 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok everybody...time for a group hug!!! LOL

My Recipes: http://bakespace.com/?imstuffed
My Food Blog: http://peacefulcooking.blogspot.com/
My Fun Blog: http://letsridethebus.blogspot.com/
My Twitter: http://twitter.com/imstuffed
CulinaryAlchemist
Pro BakeSpacer

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2009 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

{{{{{{Group}}}}}}... HA HA HA

I think it was Joe that brought it up originally.... My Billy Goat Shiraz that I loved so much was a screw top as well.... and I have had several Prosecco (Italian Champagne) bottles that had screw tops or even had to be opened with a soda bottle opener...

I think it had something to do with several years of bad cork crops (droughts or something caused the trees to produce less dense bark (cork)... the corks were leaking due to their inferiority and a lot of wine "corked" more so than usual, since a vintner looses I think about 5-10 percent from corking normally... so the new screw caps ensure that the vintner looses fewer bottles to corking each year.

For me it's more aesthetic than anything... I enjoy popping a cork more than unscrewing a cap... It's part of the mystique of wine.... But, I would rather unscrew a cap than have a bad bottle of wine that cost me 25 bucks.

http://bakespace.com/?culinaryalchemist
http://www.twitter.com/CulinaryAlchemy
ddpie
Elite BakeSpacer

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2009 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey guys! I know I've been MIA for awhile but I have been doing my wine "homework" this month, just haven't taken the time to post them. Luckily, I did take my notes and write up 2 reviews, the third is only from memory (YIKES lol).

First up:
Name: Shiraz, Yellow Tail
Price: 6.99
Year: 2007
PHOTO of bottle:

Short intro from the wine maker about the wine: some gibberish about sweeping plains and leaping kangaroos….then this description; “bounds forward from the glass with berry and vanilla oak aromas. Subdued earthy tones with soft ripe sweetness are displayed in perfect harmony with fine tannins….”

Review: Although I did do this tasting at the beginning of the month (along with another that follows) I did take notes. I have to say, between the two, I was a bit disappointed in this particular one. In spite of the (promising) full fruity nose, I thought it fell a bit short and found it a bit simplistic in structure. (maybe my palate isn’t as virgin as I thought???? HA!) Fruit (berry) forward it was, but that was it. I was so looking forward to the vanilla and oak, and yet, nada. It had maybe a hint of spice, particularly pepper, but not very much. It was a bit “hot” as they say, I’m assuming because it was so young (?), and I didn’t find the tannins fine or soft, but more bold. In fact, it held up better to a sharp Edam cheese than a (non-smoked) Gouda.

Would you buy again?: At first I thought yes, but not after trying the next one (review follows)

Wine Pairing Ideas/Recipes: The label claims it will compliment pasta, steak or even a “fillet of kangaroo steak”. While I’m not sure about the kangaroo…lol, I do think it would also go well with a tomato based pasta dish. I tried it with pepperoni slices and the pepper really came forward and although not my thing, someone else might care for it, in fact they might love it with a spicy pizza.

Second try:

Name: Shiraz, Barossa (Peter Lehmann)
Price: 15.99 (ok, I splurged LOL, after all, it was for Christmas day!)
Year: 2005
PHOTO of bottle:

Short intro from the wine maker about the wine:
Peter Lehmann is regarded as the master winemaker of Australia’s famous Barossa. Peter Lehmann Wines, too, is internationally recognized as one of Australia’s most respected, energetic and innovative quality wine producers delighting wine lovers around the world. (whew, they’re all about themselves, heh?)

Review: As I mentioned in my last review, I preferred this Shiraz well over the other one. (so I guess they have the right to brag, heh?) It had a deep, rich nose, fruity but also with subtle hints of chocolate and oak. I took a few sips then I decanted it and so glad I did, it opened up even more and I could denote specifically the plum and spices, particularly vanilla (but maybe that was the chocolate?) The tannins were soft and round and it had a smooth finish.

Would you buy again?: yes, yes and yessssss

Wine Pairing Ideas/Recipes:
I had my favorite “tasting plate”, my “usual” array of various cheeses, herb crackers, raisins (no fresh fruit on hand) and some 65% cacao chocolate. It went well with (non-smoked) Gouda, but the (slightly) smoked cheddar really brought out the oak notes as did the herbed (garlic, rosemary and thyme) crackers. So I’m guessing it would go fantastic with bbq (salty sweet, but not sour bbq) or even a grilled steak. Mmmmm, better yet, lamb, yes, wished I had some lamb. Although it was more of a semi-dry to dry, it really went well with the bittersweet chocolate as well, which was surprising considering apparently (or so I've read/heard) you’re supposed to choose a wine sweeter than the chocolate when pairing the two???

Third try:

Little Penguin
Year: 2007
Photo: if you watched the wine video Babs posted, it's the first one he tried
Cost: I think it was around 8.99? (can't remember 'cuz I bought several different bottles at once)

Review:
I'm totally going to be lazy on this one because, well, first of all I didn't take notes on this one (and it's been several days since I tasted, so bear with me). I remember it having a fruity nose, was promising, but it was too dry for my taste so I couldn't really enjoy it. It fell a bit flat, especially compared to the last one I tried. The tannins were bold so I thought it could stand up to strong flavors so I had it with some herbed goat cheese on plain crackers just to try to coax something out of it. The tangy/saltiness of the goat cheese calmed down the tannins but it still fell short on flavor for me.

Would I buy again? probably not. But I suppose someone who has a more refined palate than mine and who likes very dry wine might like it.

Side note: I had capped the bottle and left it in the fridge thinking I might try to cook something with it. Just to be fair, I tasted it again and it was slightly better. So my final thoughts would be that maybe this wine was a bit too young and would be better if I had shelved it at least for a year or so. I think I will use it for some burgandy mushrooms, I'll let ya'll know how that works out for me Wink
ddpie
Elite BakeSpacer

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2009 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, and BTW, if no one else steps up to the plate (or Qui's not around to choose) I'll raise my hand for picking next months selection. I have a pretty good idea (for a white) that I think will satisfy everyone's palate Wink
spryte
Pro Chef

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2009 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have that Yellow Tail downstairs right now. It was a hostess gift. =)

Spryte's Place Blog
lissah
Executive Chef

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2009 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yellow Tail is my favourite chardonnay...yummy!

spryte
Pro Chef

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2009 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lissah... that Chardonnay is often what I pick up when my mom is in town.

Spryte's Place Blog
ImStuffed
Over 10,000 Posts Club

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2009 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just picked up a Black Swan Merlot Shiraz....caught my attention for some reason.

My Recipes: http://bakespace.com/?imstuffed
My Food Blog: http://peacefulcooking.blogspot.com/
My Fun Blog: http://letsridethebus.blogspot.com/
My Twitter: http://twitter.com/imstuffed
BobtheDude
Capo di tutti Capi

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2009 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yellowtail is one of my go-to wines when I need something inexpensive and reliable. I usually get the Merlot, it is pretty good in a red sauce. I don't think I've had the Shiraz though. I just picked up a Bogle Chardonnay to make my dinner with tonight and all I can think of is the character from Labyrinth. Smile

ddpie
Elite BakeSpacer

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2009 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spryte- is your Yellow Tail the Shiraz? I'd be interested in hearing your take on it.

Bob- I almost picked up the YT Merlot too, just to try it out but ended up getting a cab sav (dif brand) instead. Is it really dry?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BakeSpace.com Member Forums Forum Index -> Monthly Wine Chat All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 8 of 10

Jump to: