BakeSpace.com Member Forums
Welcome to the BakeSpace.com forums. Please email us at babette@bakespace.com once you have register so that we may quickly activate your forum account. Please provide us with your username so we can find your account. Thank you!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

TGIFriday, 9/13/2013
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    BakeSpace.com Member Forums Forum Index -> The Breakfast Club
View previous topic :: View next topic  
fanmajie
Pro BakeSpacer

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2013 12:29 am    Post subject: TGIFriday, 9/13/2013 Reply with quote

Good morning everybody, Very Happy have a smashing Friday.

Only two hours of office time left for this week and then...... the weekend, almost. Still have to take Myo to the vet's this afternoon. No pics today either. Flickr is out due to maintenance and on top of that the network at our office is very wobbly and slow. Looks like it takes forever to send an email or open a file. Could it be Friday the 13th in 2013?
TTYL

知人者智,自知者明
tango
Capo di tutti Capi

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2013 3:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi all

I'm sorry I haven't commented on all y'alls posts

they are trying to get the infection under control. changed the antibiotic I was on. My blood level is too low, should be 12 but it's 6.8, They don't know where it's going?? My left kidney is enlarged & they don't know why?? My iron level is also too low, have me taking 3 doses of iron daily.
Plus they took me off of my blood pressure meds cause my pressure is too low. All that has zappy my energy level plus the pain. Right now if I get up my head starts spinning. They told me to get back right away if I get too dizzy & my heart starts pounding. I go to Chapel Hill Monday hopefully to get some answers!! So all I can do right now is rest . It's been 11 weeks yesterday that I had the surgery!!

Thank you all for praying for me!!

Love Tango

dutchmom4
Pro Chef

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2013 5:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good Morning, Friends!

I just went to the Farmer's Market wearing jeans, light sweater, and jacket. Tuesday's temperatures climbed to 94. This morning temps dropped into the 40's. We head to my grandson's soccer game tomorrow morning with temps in the upper 30's. What a change!

AND, I have my first bushel of Cortland apples! These apples first arrived at the market Tuesday. I have a Dutch apple cake as an experiment. The dehydrator is ready to dry apples, too. Leeks, peppers, plums, and tomatoes are here, too.

Fan - Hoping the vet's visit goes well today.

(((Tango)))
- You definitely remain in my prayers.

~~Vicki

http://bakespace.com/?dutchmom4
grammadotcom
Pro Chef

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2013 5:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good morning ladies,
Tango- You remain in my thoughts and prayers too. Hope you have a better day today.
Vicki- it was cooler here this morning too. It is only 66 right now. Apples sound good. I will have to go and get some next time I go to town.
Fan- I miss your pictures you usually have on here.
Hello to everyone else that comes on today.
Pattit, Ann, Debbie, Carolyn, hope you are all feeling better.
Well I went to the dentist the other day and got my permanent dentures. They look pretty good, They feel a little different than the temps do, so I have to get used to them. but they look better.
We went to a yard sale yesterday and I got an awesome deal on a Kitchen Aid stand mixer. I really didn't need another one, but I have always wanted a larger one. I got the 5 qt bowl lift one. for $125.00 with a citrus juicer, shield and meat grinder.
I need to go and clean it up and try it out.
I am planning on cleaning house today. We are going to have a small kitchenette area in our bedroom, for the winter,, We bought an apartment size refrigerator and have a cabinet with microwave and toaster and coffee pot in here already. Our house is in 2 sides that we have a breezeway we have to walk through, and it is very cold in the winter. So we will only have to heat the one side unless we have company. We could almost make this place a duplex the way it is setup.
I guess I had better get up and get busy. I need to baby proof the house where we will keep the baby next week. Actually we are not going to get him until after Jimi's wedding.{Thank You very much} Her mom is going to keep him until then, She just isn't able to keep him all of the time. She did say that she can take him on the weekends when her dh is home.
here is a picture of my new mixer, it makes my old one look tiny.

https://picturesforbakespace.shutterfly.com/pictures
Tyler's Aunt
Capo di tutti Capi

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2013 7:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good morning ladies. I was bummed out this morning to notice that I had to turn the lights on while getting ready for work. That's a sure sign that the days are getting shorter, but at least the temps aren't so high! Still wondering if I'll hear from a woman who approached me about baking Paklava for a wedding she has coming up. I met her at my niece-in-law's shower and ran into her again at the wedding. She brought it up both times, but I haven't heard from her yet. She was interested in the Chocolate-Almond-Toffee version I brought to the shower. http://hyethymecafe.blogspot.com/2011/04/almond-chocolate-and-toffee-paklava.html

Fan - Loved your double rainbow picture. Looks like a travel ad or postcard or something. One of the things I love about Izmir Kufte is pouring some of the extra sauce over my Pilaf. I didn't realize until recently that Izmir is a place. Here's the one I make (sometimes baked, sometimes fried/browned first). http://hyethymecafe.blogspot.com/2011/02/izmir-kufte.html

Martha - Sounds like great fun volunteering to do desserts for the Elks Club. I love going to cultural festivals and seeing how everyone works in the kitchen together. Always looks/sounds/smells like they're having a great time.

Ann - By all means, if scrubbing bathrooms and floors gives you a great sense of satisfaction, who am I to stand in the way of that ... what time should I be expecting you? Sorry, but I only have one bathroom for you to work on. The kitchen floor is pretty big though, and the grout between the tiles could use some work. Wink

Gramma/Patti - Wasn't it you who scored a couple of Black Friday deals on KitchenAids a year or two ago? How do you find all these deals?!?! Love your new tag line.

Patti - Sorry to hear your son is going through a bad time, but like you said, better now than if there were kids in the mix. I always said that about my folks...if they had gotten divorced when they should have, rather than trying to stick it out "for the kids," they would have gotten along great! They could have lived in a duplex and my Dad would do all the yard work and repairs, and Mom could have sent over some food now and then, but they dragged it on for waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay too long!

Tango - Sorry to hear you're having such a hard time of it. I had no idea! I knew you hadn't been posting much but was hoping you were off playing over the summer and making up for lost time. {HUGS}

Vicki - Thanks for the reminder about apples! I better look for my Macouns. I completely missed the window somehow last year and was truly bummed out when I realized that! Those have been my favorite since I first had them back in high school. It's like eating a guilt-free candy apple; sweet and crisp. Yummmmmmmmmm

Have you guys tried the semi-new Instance Chocolate Cream of Wheat? I had gotten a sample in the mail several months ago and made a version of an Armenian dessert with it, but then I forgot about it. I recently tried a chocolate bread and it turned out REALLLLLLY good, so I used it again in a Banana Bread last week. That was good too, but with all the wedding stuff going on, I wasn't paying attention to it, left it out for too long, and it got moldy on me. Crying or Very sad I can't wait to try the yeast-bread version again. The aroma reminded me of Pannetone, so I want to try it with fruit and nuts. My sister suggested chocolate/cherry. We'll see.

Chocolate Farina Bread: http://hyethymecafe.blogspot.com/2013/09/chocolate-farina-bread.html

Chocolate Banana Bread:
http://hyethymecafe.blogspot.com/2013/09/chocolate-banana-bread.html

Any big weekend plans? I think I'll follow up on Vicki's comment about apples and hit the farmer's market tomorrow. Might as well pop into the Amish store while I'm out that way. That's about it ... unless I take Ann's due and do something about my kitchen floor (no fun). Wink

BLOG: http://hyethymecafe.blogspot.com/

pattit
Pro BakeSpacer

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2013 7:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have the widows all open again, I love the times when you don't need heat or air conditioning. We are going to see if our friends from Philly want to go to the orchards tomorrow. I need to get some apples and pears.
On the way back from my sisters the other day we found an Amish market. They had such good prices that we are looking forward to going again since it is way closer than the one we used to go to. I think my favorite thing we got there was there "Grandola" cute name huh. It is sweet and a little salty.
**Fan, I would never have known it was Friday the 13th, now I will be nervous. I hope you get some answers about poor Myo and that it is something easy to take care of. Enjoy your weekend.
**tango you are still in my prayers and will stay there until I hear that you are A-OK. I certainly can see why your energy is zapped. I sure hope that you get some answers and solutions on Monday. Please let us know how it went.
**Vicki, I am glad you were able to get to the Farmers market. I think I will check out some dehydrators, I don't like how long I have to use the oven to do it. I bet your cake will be delicious.
**Patti, I have a bowl lift KitchenAid and I love it. What a steal, and getting attachments even more wonderful! The attachments are very pricy I got mine a little at a time. I love having the meat grinder to make sausage myself instead of buying the fatty stuff at the store. For Christmas I got the pasta attachments, that is wonderful also.
**Chris, I swear I remember chocolate cream of wheat when I was young, I loved it so I will have to keep an eye out for it at the grocery store. I saw your bread and it looked delicious. We have the same problem as you, things getting moldy before we finish it. I have to keep telling hubby that the reason that store bought bread etc. lasts so long is because it is full of preservatives.

I have all the beds stripped and fresh linens on and the windows open so that our guests can pick which bed they like best. Hubby is predicting that they will pick mine (the Sleep Number bed.) I moved some things of mine to the guest room in case that is what they choose. I am so excited for them to get here, but I just got a call that Paul got called in to work. He is a fireman.
Speaking of which, did you see the tragedy at the hew Jersey shore? Those poor people just got most of the clean up from Sandy, now a lot of it is burnt. So sad.
I probably won't get a chance to post until Monday but will be thinking of all of you often.

http://photostosharewithbakespace.shutterfly.com/pictures
Tyler's Aunt
Capo di tutti Capi

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2013 8:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Patti - I know, I was bummed about the Banana Bread. Really should have thought to freeze half of it for another time since we had so much running around to do then. Crying or Very sad Hey, no giving up your room for guests! Unless they're in their 90s or something, then it's OK. Wink I love our Amish market for all of the spices, etc., but I get the feeling that most of their stuff really isn't Amish, just re-packaged. I'll definitely keep going to replenish my spices, if nothing else. Much cheaper than the grocery store or online. Have fun at the orchards!

grammadotcom
Pro Chef

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2013 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes that was me Chris. I got 2 and a couple of my dds got one each, I gave one of mine to Jeanna [my oldest dd] her mil loves it. I think Lowes screwed up when they did the Black Friday sale and let more of them go than they had planned for $19.00 each. LOL!!! That was their loss. I happened to see this one in the sale paper for yard sales and made sure I was there early enough to get it. I wasn't sure if I wanted it until I saw it though.

https://picturesforbakespace.shutterfly.com/pictures
fanmajie
Pro BakeSpacer

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2013 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh my, it's getting crowded in her Laughing . Love to see you all popping in Very Happy
I took Myo to the vet's and everything went well and bad. Good thing is that Myo has got her vaccinations and a painkiller. Bad thing is that she has mouth problems again and is scheduled for sedation and treatment next Tuesday. Another good thing was that she was furious and scratched the vet. She's obviously not giving up on anything yet Wink
Tango, hang in there, I'm still praying for you too. Take care.
Vicki, lucky you. Dutch apple cake is wonderful. Have fun at the soccer game tomorrow.
Grammadot, you did it again. That's an amazing deal. Glad to hear your dentures look good. Now I'm waiting to see you smile Wink .
Chris, I checked your Izmir köfte. Looks very yummy and basically quite similar to what I do. Only I use cilantro and harissa in my köfte. Harrissa is basically a chilipaste with some other spices. And I usually simply fry them in a Dutch oven. And I usually make the sauce with canned plum tomatoes, onions and parsley. But sometimes I make the köfte more hamburger shaped, fry them and serve them like the butcher's wife suggested with cucumber in a garlic yogurt dressing or with tomato salsa and lettuce with Turkish bread.
PattiT, have a fun weekend gathering guests and apples. I hope it all works out with a nice harvest of apples. Maybe I should get me some apples too and make some "appelmeisjes" Smile
I think I'm gonna help Myo chilling out on the couch. See you all tomorrow.

知人者智,自知者明
Tyler's Aunt
Capo di tutti Capi

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2013 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fan - LOL Harissa is actually the National Dish of Armenia. It's really kind of a chicken or lamb porridge. I remember the first time I saw reference to it outside of an Armenian household was in a magazine several years back. It didn't explain it but made reference to it being Tunisian, which thoroughly confused me. Then I started hearing about it more and more and was really excited about that - thought it was an odd choice, but still ... Then I found out it was the Chili Paste. I have since made it myself and love it, but that cracked me up. Then a year or two ago, I was participating in a recipe challenge for Marx Foods and found that there is actually a third version, which is an Algerian dessert made mostly of ground almonds.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    BakeSpace.com Member Forums Forum Index -> The Breakfast Club All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: