BakeSpace.com Member Forums
Welcome to the BakeSpace.com forums. Please email us at babette@bakespace.com once you have register so that we may quickly activate your forum account. Please provide us with your username so we can find your account. Thank you!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

MONDAY, Sept. 30th, 2013

Post new topic   Reply to topic    BakeSpace.com Member Forums Forum Index -> The Breakfast Club
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ann_Marie_PA
Pro BakeSpacer

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 1:31 am    Post subject: MONDAY, Sept. 30th, 2013 Reply with quote

Morning,

Wow, the last day of September...this month flew by too. I've always been told the older a person gets the faster the days go. Crazy.

Feel somewhat better just not a 100%. Still have it in my sinuses and stupid little dry cough every so often, thank goodness for Halls cough drops.

Hope everyone is doing well. Was kind of quiet this weekend on here.

Take care,
Ann

pattit
Pro BakeSpacer

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 5:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good morning Ann and all others who stop in today. Seems like we are in for another nice day, we have had so many in a row it is unbelievable. Not complaining mind you. I am going to make roast beef with carrots and then I will use the broth to cook some noodles in. It us supposed to get even warmer so I wanted to make this will it is still a little cool out.
Hubby got home fairly late from the race, I had just gone to bed. I guess I will hear all about it this evening when he comes home from work.
Stupid government, this is the last thing my son James needs. The way I understand it is he is supposed to go to work even though he won't get paid and there is no guarantee he will get retroactive pay when things get sorted out!! How can they expect you to work knowing you might not get paid?? He has no savings thanks to a certain someone so I don't know how he will pay his bills. I can already predict hubby's reaction, it isn't our problem, don't worry about it.
I got a letter in the mail saying my insurance premiums are going up, co-pays will be higher for major things and coverage wont be as good. I guess I will have to look around again, hate to go through all of that again.
On the bright side of things, had a good time with my SIL yesterday. BIL had to stay home to take care of some branches. We went to lunch in town and it was very good, then off to the orchards. I thought I got the right size container but when I got home and SIL put them away, the container I got last time was twice that big. I guess I won't be making any more applesauce and that is probably a good thing for my back. Plus I don't have any more containers.
Guess I will go get the laundry started.

http://photostosharewithbakespace.shutterfly.com/pictures
fanmajie
Pro BakeSpacer

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 5:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good morning everybody, have a fantastic day Very Happy

Ann-Marie, are you still on sick leave today? Yeah, the last of September. Time flies when you are having fun Laughing , the boss will be back from vacation next week already. Probably time won't fly by that fast then Wink
PattiT, glad you had a good time and a good harvest yesterday Very Happy . No roast beef for me today, probably chicken, peanuts and veggies with either rice or noodles. I'm still at the office, so there's still time to decide on that.
TTYL

知人者智,自知者明
carolyn
Pro Chef

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 9:22 am    Post subject: Hi Reply with quote

Hi to all I been very busy with canning canned the last of the tomatos so i am done canning for the year.
My dr said my surgery went very well and all i have left is a big old scare that will be there forever. sad. he lifted the restrictions so he said i can do what i want to.
Helped hubby winterize the camper yesterday so the lines dont freeze up this winter. doing a little babysitting for a friend trying to keep busy. made a few apple pies sat. hubby brought me home some wolf river apples from his moms and they are big so dont take a lot to make a pie. they are a colder weather apple so some place may not grow them.
Patti hope your doing well with your family i know its hard to deal with. think of you often,
and are poor Deb hope she is doing ok. think of you to deb.
grandma that looks like a nice camper for storage that is a good idea. to get rid of clutter stuff.
Ann i hear you on the sinus stuff have a bad time with that also.even tried rinsing but not much help.
Martha good to here from you to.
Fan looks like you are keeping busy still love all the pictures of your town so many beautiful pictures. to bad your boss is coming back so you cant work at your own pace. well better get some laundry done have a great day

Tyler's Aunt
Capo di tutti Capi

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Carolyn - Glad to hear you got the all clear from your doc! Wolf Apples huh? Never heard of that one before. Is there another apple you would compare them to? My favorites are Macouns (small, very crisp and sweet), but they haven't turned up yet. I was thinking they'd be out in mid-September. Crying or Very sad

Martha - That's great about the bricks. I remember when I was living in New Orleans, I had a tree in the front yard that would have looked great with a rock garden around it, so I went to a few nurseries to see about getting rocks. YIKES! They were like $8 a pop! I wasn't thinking about New Orleans being built on swamp, so there were no rocks there lol. Needless to say, I skipped the rock garden. Just as well since the tree came down in Hurricane Katrina. I'm with you in wondering about night cramps - I get them in my feet and/or legs all the time. I even tried eating a banana before bed for the potassium, but that didn't work either.

Gramma/Patti - That's awesome about Robby's book. You must be soooooo proud! Laughing

Ann - Sorry to hear you had to skip out on the TOH. Just as well though being so run down as it is. Sad

PattiT - Sorry you've been in such physical AND emotional pain lately! Hopefully Nick will get good results tomorrow and some of that will be alleviated. Re: the one-pot spaghetti, I'm guessing too much acid in the tomatoes broke down the pasta strangely to make that weird texture??

Vicki - OK, so what exactly are Dutch Croquettes?

Fan - About the books you picked up, you said something about pics from your grandparents. Pictures they took are in the books you found? If so, that's really cool! I know it's all what you're used to or what you grew up with, but I nearly fell out of my chair when I read that you had picked up horse meat. There's probably about .02% of the American population who would go for that. It would be right up there with cat or dog. I still wonder if I may have inadvertently eaten it as a kid ... and enjoyed it?!?! Embarassed Crying or Very sad Embarassed My best friend and I had gone to stay at my grandparents' and my grandfather took us to a fast food restaurant, Jack in the Box, for lunch one day. We all had a cheeseburger, and they were so good, he got us all another round. Not long after that, the restaurant was shut down for serving horse meat!! Not sure if it was in that particular one and if I ate it, but I was horrified!! We were probably 10 at the time - not that I'd react much differently now. LOVED your B&W fog pics!

Ideas anyone ... I was invited to participate in another Marx Foods recipe challenge. This time, it's Sweet to Savory, so we all received four sweet ingredients (vanilla beans, granulated honey, coconut sugar, and crystallized fennel flowers) and need to use two of them in a savory dish. My brain automatically went to BBQ sauce and some big meaty beef ribs, or boneless short ribs, but one other person has already posted their recipe, and they did short ribs. Now I'm thinking maybe a rub for a pork roast, or in some sort of jerk seasoning??? One prob is that I was going to have my sister and BIL over for dinner that night, and my BIL is super picky - nothing on the bone, doesn't eat lamb, would prefer not to eat pork even ...

BLOG: http://hyethymecafe.blogspot.com/

fanmajie
Pro BakeSpacer

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Carolyn and Chris,

Carolyn, congrats on the bill of health and don't worry about the scar. I think we have passed the showing off our body period and went over to show off our bikini's or swimming suits phase. But since the season for that is over, you'd better make sure and enjoy the apple pies first. Wink
Chris, I know I'd got hanged in the UK for it and probably got lynched in the USA. Most countries in Europe don't take to horse meat either, except for a few small areas in Italy, the Hungarians and the Frisians. Rolling Eyes Glad you liked the foggy pics. Smile
Do you really have to use two of the sweet ingredients in one dish? My first thought would be to combine the coconut sugar with soy sauce and braise the pork ribs.
The pictures are collected by local historians in the last century and they have been very active in publishing village photo albums. Main objective was to preserve the histories you'd never get to hear in school, but learn from your family. Publishing the photo albums caused a new wave of oral local stories and histories to record and pass on. Especially from a period that wasn't really recorded as history yet, but about to become history since a lot of the people on the pics had passed away already. I found two siblings of my maternal grandfather in a school pic and almost about 20 something relatives of my grandmother in three other school pics dating from 1905 to 1921.

知人者智,自知者明
Tyler's Aunt
Capo di tutti Capi

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fan - What a treasure to have those books then! I've been doing a lot of genealogy research online, but because of the Armenian Genocide, no matter what sites I try, crazy spellings I use, etc., I can't get past my grandparents. Sad I was just talking about that with my sister as a matter of fact. I know that my grandmother's mother came over to the U.S. She died of cancer, so she may have come and gone (so to speak) before being included in a census here, but there should be some record of her death, etc. My grandfather's family is a whole separate issue - no idea what the deal was with his father. Even when he died, my grandmother didn't know his name to put it on my grandfather's death certificate, so it just shows Unknown and his last name, which was not the same name as his mother. She had two or three marriages, and even though I know her maiden name, I can't find any record of her either. Confused

My sister said to heck with her hubby, so I might go with the pork roast. I'm thinking of cooking it with onions and apples in the pan, so whatever I do for a rub with the vanilla and/or coconut sugar and/or granulated honey, etc. will ooze into and flavor the apples/onions as well. Then maybe a micro-green salad with a citrus vinaigrette and the fennel flower crystals over that ... You only have to use two of the ingredients, but I always try to incorporate as many as possible.

BLOG: http://hyethymecafe.blogspot.com/

Post new topic   Reply to topic    BakeSpace.com Member Forums Forum Index -> The Breakfast Club All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: