BakeSpace.com Member Forums
Welcome to the BakeSpace.com forums. Please email us at babette@bakespace.com once you have register so that we may quickly activate your forum account. Please provide us with your username so we can find your account. Thank you!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

TGIFriday 10/11/2013

Post new topic   Reply to topic    BakeSpace.com Member Forums Forum Index -> The Breakfast Club
View previous topic :: View next topic  
fanmajie
Pro BakeSpacer

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 5:23 am    Post subject: TGIFriday 10/11/2013 Reply with quote

Good morning everybody, have a brilliant start of the weekend Very Happy

The deed is done. I went out to inspect the locations in the rain with a colleague as reinforcement. Practically drowned on the way to get there. Sad
Same story on the way back, we were so totally drenched.
Martha, I love spiders, but do they love me too? Wink Unfortunately the facility manager already had been removing stuff and probably chased the spiders away. Crying or Very sad Is driving a lawn mower very difficult? I mean if you know how to drive a car, it shouldn't take too long to get used to a lawn mower.
Ann-Marie, how are you today?
Gotta start with some household chores and I might turn up the heater for a short while, it's damp and chilly in the house.

知人者智,自知者明
pattit
Pro BakeSpacer

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 6:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Damp and chilly here also. We are to have 6 to 8 inches of rain by the end of today. I opened the basement door and could hear water coming in from some where, but I can't risk going down those stairs. I know we needed rain, but this much at one time is not welcome. I heard there are lots of road closings due to flooding in our county.
So much for hubby picking tomatoes when he gets home today.
Tomorrow we are going to get some things done at James" house and then at 1P.M. Madison has a double header for softball, if the fields aren't flooded. Sunday, whatever we didn't get done on Saturday we will finish up. James' will be out of town so he told Wanita it would be alright for her to come get the rest of her stuff. It will be nice to say goodbye, but also heartbreaking. Especially knowing where James' will be this weekend. With his girlfriend, not sure where he learned this behavior, I am disappointed in how he went about all this. But he is my son, and I love him.
To those who asked, I have never fallen in the garden before, so I never thought to take the phone with me. You are right Martha, never expected to be like this. Hubby seems to forget also, he asked me yesterday if I would like to go for a hike in the mountains of Sunday. Where we go is a state park anyway and I am not sure it will be open. Other than the handicapped trail I can't do that anymore. We loved it so much too. I have an appt. Tuesday with my neurologist, not sure how she can help me, but I sure hope she can.
**Fan, glad you didn't run into any spiders, right now we are battling crickets, they keep getting in our basement and they are very loud.
**Ann, how are you doing on the antibiotics? Hubby is on two very strong ones, I have him eating yogurt every day. I got CDif from the ones he is on, I sure don't want him coming down with that.

I need to get in the shower and get some things done today, stay dry everyone.

http://photostosharewithbakespace.shutterfly.com/pictures
fanmajie
Pro BakeSpacer

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi PattiT, looks like you are having a roller coaster weekend ahead of you. Must be really tough seeing this divorce developing. Hang in there.
Is the soreness getting any better?

知人者智,自知者明
dutchmom4
Pro Chef

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good Afternoon, Friends!

Do you ever have a day when you do something totally different than you had planned? This morning, we planned on going to one of my favorite parks for an extended walk. Instead, we stopped a two estate sales. AND, I found a reversible winter coat, which will certainly feel cozy later on!

((PattiT)) - You have so much going on with so many family members. I hope you get answers during your appointment next week. Regarding yesterday's post: Many of the foods that Fan refers to are common here, but don't hold the Dutch name any longer. Just talking about Hutspot at the Farmer's Market spurred conversation about the farmer's taste for it and another customer's variation. One also mentioned potatoes and kale. Smile

Martha - Sounds like you mowed the lawn on a perfect day yesterday. We freeze meals a lot, with our coming and going. The frozen meals are unbaked, but the soups are cooked.

Fan - I hope you feel cozy as you do your household chores.... especially after that soggy day. What did you make for dinner this evening?

Vicki

http://bakespace.com/?dutchmom4
Ann_Marie_PA
Pro BakeSpacer

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi all,

Fan - wish you were here the other day. I was moving some sheets out of the hallway closet and when I moved the last stack nearest the wall there was a H-U-G-E spider. I calmly went and got the sweeper, sucked it into the sweeper. Sorry, I don't mind spiders...and long as they are OUTSIDE!!! I couldn't get over how big it was, still makes me shiver.

PattiT - the antibiotics are working, making me tired though. Just glad this stupid sinus stuff is going a way, gets annoying after a while.

Martha - has been nice here too during the day, cool at night. The night sky has been beautiful with all the stars, so clear.

Work is still busy, 22 critters when I left today. They are thinking that in January we might be a bit slower because of insurance changes. Scary.

Better get around here, have a few errands to take care of.

Later,
Ann

fanmajie
Pro BakeSpacer

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ann-Marie, I don't want them in my house either and funny enough they don't like my house. As soon as one appears it usually falls victim to Myo.Shocked
Vicki, I ended up with spaghetti, chicken and mushrooms Very Happy

And yes sometimes there are days that so totally goes not according to what I planned.

About the stampotten, the Belgians call it stoemp, I'll list a few varieties according to their popularity.
1 Sauerkraut, either with pork chops or sausages
2 Curly kale, with pork or beef
3 Carrots and onions, with pork or beef
4 Dutch endive uncooked wilted by the heat of the cooked potatoes, with pork or meatballs
5 Brussels sprouts, with pork, beef or cheese. Make it classy and serve it with (leftover) Boeuf Bourguignon and a glass of red wine.
6 Caulifower or brocolli, goes with cheese, pork and beef
7 Brown beans, only with pork, preferably bacon and pickles
8 Celeriac, with pork or cheese
9 Spinach in the same way as Dutch endive, goes with beef
10 Lettuce in the same way as spinach and Dutch endive, with pork or beef.

Apart from no. 4, 6, 9 and 10 they are typically dishes for the colder season. Beef is always presented at the side, just as pork chops. But if you have a small amount of smoked bacon cut in cubes, then most people fry it till crispy and mix the bacon with the fat into the mash. Or they mix it with fried minced (beef) meat with fried onions. It enhances the flavour when the potatoes you are using are crumbly and have a dry taste, i.e. really need quite a bit of gravy. Making the mash creamy with only milk or cream is sometimes killing the taste. Especially for no. 1, 2 and 7. For no. 1, 3, 5, 6 and 8 adding a bit of mustard also can enhance the flavour too, giving it a small kick.
Chicken can be served at the side, but in general not with no. 2, 7, 8 and 9. And you also have to take into account that it's difficult to get a proper gravy from chicken, so most people prefer beef or pork.
Morning class dismissed for now Wink Gotta go for my croissants and coffee.

知人者智,自知者明
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BakeSpace.com Member Forums Forum Index -> The Breakfast Club All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: