BakeSpace.com Member Forums
Welcome to the BakeSpace.com forums. Please email us at babette@bakespace.com once you have register so that we may quickly activate your forum account. Please provide us with your username so we can find your account. Thank you!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

SATURDAY, Jan. 4th & SUNDAY, Jan. 5th, 2014
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    BakeSpace.com Member Forums Forum Index -> The Breakfast Club
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ann_Marie_PA
Pro BakeSpacer

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2014 4:53 am    Post subject: SATURDAY, Jan. 4th & SUNDAY, Jan. 5th, 2014 Reply with quote

Hi,

Seems weird typing "2014."

Seems we are to get some crazy weather for the next 3 or 4 days...today it's going to be sunny off and on, windy now but the high of 35º. Here's our weather forecast:

WINTER STORM WATCH REMAINS IN EFFECT FROM SUNDAY EVENING THROUGH TUESDAY AFTERNOON...
* ACCUMULATIONS...FROM 8 TO 14 INCHES FROM SUNDAY AFTERNOON INTO TUESDAY. THE HIGHEST AMOUNTS ARE LIKELY IN THE HIGHER TERRAIN OF THE SNOWBELT OF NORTHWEST PENNSYLVANIA.
* TIMING...SUNDAY AFTERNOON AND EVENING INTO TUESDAY.
* WINDS...GENERALLY LIGHT ON SUNDAY. SUNDAY NIGHT THROUGH TUESDAY 15 TO 25 MPH WITH GUSTS OVER 30 MPH AT TIMES. WINDS FROM THE NORTHWEST SUNDAY NIGHT BACKING TO THE WEST AND SOUTHWEST.
* IMPACTS...SNOW COVERED ROADS. BLOWING AND DRIFTING SNOW SUNDAY NIGHT THROUGH TUESDAY.
* TEMPERATURES...DROPPING SUNDAY NIGHT AND MONDAY TO BELOW ZERO MONDAY NIGHT INTO TUESDAY. MORNING LOWS 5 TO 15 DEGREES BELOW ZERO.
* WIND CHILL READINGS...AS LOW AS 40 DEGREES BELOW ZERO AT TIMES ESPECIALLY TUESDAY MORNING AND WEDNESDAY MORNING.

These are the winters that I remember as a kid...lots of snow and lots of cold. We must be making up for last year, it wasn't this snowy or cold. We had snow and several storms but not like this. Kind of enjoying it actually...guess because I don't have to DRIVE in it. Very Happy

Guess I'll get around here, get cleaned up, want to head to Walmart and Dollar General for a few things before we get snowed in again. Smile

Later,
Ann

Ann_Marie_PA
Pro BakeSpacer

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2014 4:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tell me a memory of yours as a kid in winter.

Mine is I was probably 6 or 7 years old. My Dad had a nice garage at the end of the driveway. The one winter it snowed and snowed we ended up getting plowed out. The man plowed it to the side of the garage. So us kids would get our sleds out, walk up on the roof and slide down on to the snow piles!! What fun!!! Smile Smile
dutchmom4
Pro Chef

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2014 7:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good Morning, Friends!

Sunshine this morning would be perfect for sledding and tobogganing. Snowing later today and Sunday.

Due to my brochitis I have plenty of indoor chores instead of sledding: hemming a pants and a shirt, and other this and that. This most important is taking a nap this afternoon.

Ann - You wanted stories about winter memories, but these were not kid memories. I can remember when we had so much snow that my son's head was over the chain link fence when he was only 2 years old.

One more: I was in college when my car was stuck on a tiny street as I headed toward my driveway (evening). I called every towing service in the telephone book, and they were all too busy. The next morning, my car had been towed by one of these towing services and sent to the city impound lot. Paid a fine and impoundment fee to get my car back. We would not have that problem in California! Evil or Very Mad

~~Vicki

http://bakespace.com/?dutchmom4
grammadotcom
Pro Chef

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2014 8:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello, Vicki and Ann, It is really cold here, but no snow in our area of TN yet.
Jim and I are both down with the flu or something. Haven't been up for any length of time since Tuesday. Not much going on around here any way.
We have to go to Franklin TN to my Social Security disability hearing and it only going to be a high of 8 degrees and a low of 2. Am not looking forward to going out in that.
Ann- I remember playing in the snow with my late hubby and kids about 35 yrs ago. We lived on a farm with a big hill in the back field and we would take big pieces of cardboard and make sleds out of it. {we didn't usually get enough snow to warrant buying a sled] One day we had a huge snow. So we made our sleds and went up the hill and Ricky and I were on one together. Down we went, right straight into a small tree. Luckily we didn't get hurt. But it was funny after we looked back on it.
Hope you all have a good weekend and stay warm.
I read on FB that Debbie was home now. Hope she gets better soon.
Hugs to Tango too.

https://picturesforbakespace.shutterfly.com/pictures
fanmajie
Pro BakeSpacer

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2014 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi everybody, have a wonderful weekend Very Happy

I'm still living in the tropics I guess Wink Actually the Netherlands have only an occasional little snow in winter. Only once in a while there's enough snow to play with, but many winters are passing without snow or ice to skate on. And usually they are hardly problematic, only inconvenient. I can recall only one winter that was really problematic and had the northern provinces rely on army assistance for relief, yet at the same time the southern half of the country had high temps with rain.
It was in February 1979 and started with rain on frozen roads, followed by a real snow storm. Our farmhouse was located outside the village only accessible by a sand road. The villages in the area were scattered in pasture lands with an occasional tree. We didn't get that much snow, but it all ended behind the obstacles in the flat pasture land and the storm blew all the snow up against the buildings and trees causing road blocks and also covering all the ditches in the landscape, so you could't distinguish hard underground from frozen waters.
Our village disappeared from sight totally, our house became a snow hill in the land, with only the roof visible. There was no daylight in the front part of the farm, only from my brothers bedrooms in the attic you could see the white scenery. The back end of the farm, the cow stables, was free of snow and open till the first snow dune about 50 metres away from the house. And that dune totally blocked every view on and road to populated areas. The village people had the same problem, only half of the villagers were able to get out of there houses and see each other and the other half was cooked up inside their dwellings. The army needed three attempts to find the village by helicopter in order to send troops to make the roads accessible again after four days. For us and the other farms outside the villages it took even longer, we had to sit it out till it had thawed enough to distinguish roads from water again. I remember eating a lot of beans, snert potatoes and sauerkraut for two weeks, finishing all our emergency supplies and two weeks of vacation from school Laughing
Grammadot, sorry to hear you and Jim are caught by the flu. Get well soon.
Vicki, I love the towing service story Laughing Bad things always comes threefold as the saying has it.
Ann-Marie, I wish we had come up with that in the winter of 1979. We could have used my brothers bedrooms for going down with the sleds. Cool

知人者智,自知者明
Martha
Capo di tutti Capi

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2014 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Everybody!

I made it to the Elk's last night! A woman who lives down the street came over with her snowblower when she saw me shoveling to get out of my driveway. What a sweetheart! (None of the men in the neighborhood ever pay any attention to me when they see me out there huffing and puffing! In fact, the one that has a snowplow on his truck just waves as he drives by!!)

On the way to take my cookies to the club, I lost it on a curve and went into a snow bank. Luckily, there was nothing solid under the snow like a pole or fire hydrant!! I just went boof into the snow... it was kinda fun. Lucky for me, I had no trouble getting out. Once I made it to the highway, the driving was ok. I passed about 6-8 cars off the road even so! I dropped off my cookies and came straight home.

Today the temp was actually in the low 40's. Whoa, heat wave! But it's supposed to get worse again Sunday and Monday.

Ann - I'll bet you're glad you have a few days off. Maybe this will all be blown over by the time you have to go out in it again.

We used to have a ball in the snow when I was a kid. I had two brothers, so we were always building snow forts and sled runs. We used to bank the snow on the curves like a luge and come down the hill, between the trees.... it's a wonder we never got killed!! We even used to hose down the whole thing so it would be solid ice by the next day and would go even faster!! Shocked The funny thing is... we never got hurt, we never got cold, we never got hungry and we never got bored! I had a great childhood!

Grammadot - Hope you get over the flu. They are already saying there's going to be alot of it this year.

Hi to everybody else! <<Debbie>> <<Tango>>
Ann_Marie_PA
Pro BakeSpacer

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2014 5:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Morning,

We are getting a beautiful show this morning, the sun rise has been gorgeous!! First pink and now a bright orange, lights up the whole living room! I should have gotten ready and gone over to the railroad tracks to take some pictures. It's not that cold out, about 34º. Well, you know the saying, "
pink in the morning, sailors take warning!"

Had an uneventful day yesterday, came home after shopping and just kind of crashed in the chair. Today I would like to scrub the steps leading up to the upstairs. Using Mom's rug scrubber, it's so powerful when it sucks out the water that the rug is dry within a 1/2 hour!

Martha - glad there wasn't anything in that snowdrift you went into. Mom told me years ago, when I was too little to go, that my brother and a cousin got a car hood and went down a hill!! Shocked Could you imagine how fast they went!??!!

Hope everyone has a great day,
Ann

...WINTER STORM WARNING REMAINS IN EFFECT FROM 6 PM THIS EVENING TO 9 AM EST WEDNESDAY...
* ACCUMULATIONS...SNOWFALL OF 1 TO 3 INCHES TODAY...SLIGHTLY LOWER NEAR OHIO PENNSYLVANIA BORDER IF MIXED PRECIPITATION OCCURS. ADDITIONAL SNOWFALL OF 3 TO 5 INCHES TONIGHT. ADDITIONAL SIGNIFICANT LAKE EFFECT SNOWFALL WILL BE POSSIBLE MONDAY THROUGH WEDNESDAY...ESPECIALLY ASHTABULA COUNTY INTO ERIE COUNTY.
fanmajie
Pro BakeSpacer

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2014 7:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good morning Ann-Marie and everybody else, have a great Sunday and stay warm Very Happy

I guess today it's my uneventful day. The weather is sunny and dry, but somehow I decided to stock up my freezer with old fashioned "snert", which takes hours to cook if you start from scratch Rolling Eyes. But it turned out yummy!!
And it makes live a littler easier to get going again, now that my hibernation comes to an end and I have to go back to the office.
Martha, glad you made it safely to and from the Elk's club. Really sweet of your neighbour to come over with her snowblower and help you out.
Ann-Marie, hopefully the storm calms down before reaching your area. Do you have to go back to work tomorrow?

知人者智,自知者明
Ann_Marie_PA
Pro BakeSpacer

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2014 7:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fan - I start back to work tomorrow, a 12 hr then Tue is an 8 hr, off Wed. Hoping the weather clears up a bit on Wed, suppose to go to the movies with a friend from work. Going to go and see "Saving Mr. Banks" with Tom Hanks.

I made Sausage and Vegetable soup, it's in the crock pot and I've cleaned the steps leading to the upstairs, what a chore!! A back breaker for sure!! Started at the top and worked my way down. Had to laugh at Willow, she was sitting on the steps and kept shaking her paws. Silly kitty.

fanmajie
Pro BakeSpacer

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2014 8:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yummy, veggie and sausage soup. Snert is actually a veggie and sausage soup too. Only not suitable to cook in a crock pot I suppose. As soon as the peas fall apart you have to stir very regularly to prevent them from burning.
Do you have carpeting on the steps? I can imagine being happy finished then. I don't have carpeting on my steps and they are really easy to clean.

知人者智,自知者明
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BakeSpace.com Member Forums Forum Index -> The Breakfast Club All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: