BakeSpace.com Member Forums
Welcome to the BakeSpace.com forums. Please email us at babette@bakespace.com once you have register so that we may quickly activate your forum account. Please provide us with your username so we can find your account. Thank you!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

~ Good Morning - WEEKEND - February 1 & 2, 2014 ~
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    BakeSpace.com Member Forums Forum Index -> The Breakfast Club
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dutchmom4
Pro Chef

PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2014 4:59 am    Post subject: ~ Good Morning - WEEKEND - February 1 & 2, 2014 ~ Reply with quote

Good Morning, Friends!

Happy February!!

Today is already planned. A few errands, but mostly baking/cooking experiments. I have a busy week ahead, so spare meals will be in the freezer. What are you doing today?

~~Vicki

http://bakespace.com/?dutchmom4
dutchmom4
Pro Chef

PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2014 5:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We have another 5-7 inches in our forecast today. Karl will be clearing our roof and his mom's roof again!!

Ann - Have fun going through all your cookbooks. Hoping the critter count will rise soon. So nice to read that your temperatures will climb to 42 degrees.

Fan - What a blessing your ovarian check is over for another five years. We had fish, too. But, I made fish tacos with loads of salad and a little guacamole inside the tortillas.

PattiT - What did your husband say about your roof? Have fun at Madison's swimming event today!

Greetings to all who pop in this weekend!

~~Vicki

dutchmom4
Pro Chef

PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2014 5:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

P.S. I am making cinnamon rolls for as a surprise for Karl, due to all his outside work. If you want one, please drop in. Very Happy

~~Vicki

Ann_Marie_PA
Pro BakeSpacer

PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2014 5:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vicki - Jim made cinnamon rolls Thur afternoon, they were delicious! He made enough for me to take to work yesterday, the people rave about them. Smile

PattiT - Mom gave me Grandma's (her Mom) cookbooks a while back and when we were cleaning the house out my sister had Mom's cookbooks sitting out, I just pointed at them and Sis told me to take them. Sat here and looked through them one night, had to laugh...most of them were from me!! Very Happy Every time I would tell Mom that we made some thing and how good it was she'd say, "send me the recipe!" One is a community cookbook from when we lived on the farm, the other is a Betty Crocker cookbook.

Fan - critter count is slowly going down, there were 4 that were to go home yesterday, two left before I left at 3:30. So that would be put the critter count down to 9 (if all 4 went home).

My poor kitties, their skin is so dry from the furnace running and being inside. Pet Willow and all the dry flakes come up, Leo has been licking one spot and now he has no hair there. I did put some Vaseline on it this morning, hoping to help the itch plus keep that area covered.

Will be an interesting mix of weather today, right now it's 33º and they are saying the high is to be 44º. Woohoo --
heat wave!! Cool

Better get around here, need to scrub the kitchen floor and clean the bathrooms up too, run the sweeper.

Later,
Ann

fanmajie
Pro BakeSpacer

PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2014 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Happy weekend everybody, make it rock Very Happy

Ann-Marie, enjoy the heatwave, your day off and the cookbooks. I have my Grandmother's cookbook too Cool . The recipes are old-fashioned Dutch style food, but you don't need a lot of kitchen equipment to make them. It was published for the first time in 1910, my copy is a reprint from either 1928 or 1930. The story goes that my grandfather bought it for her as a birthday present when he was working away from home.
PattiT, the fish is hake. Battered and deep fried and off course Myo begged for some. Laughing
Vicki, poor Karl. He so totally deserves his cinnamon rolls. That is if I don't drop in first Wink
I went for a grocery run this morning and stumbled upon a fund raising gig from the "Voedselbank". http://foodfighters2013.wordpress.com/2013/02/20/initiative-against-food-shortage-in-the-netherlands-de-voedselbank/
They asked every customer to buy one or two food items and donate it to them. Things like pasta, rice, canned beans, canned meat or fish, cooking oil, coffee or tea. Was a bit embarrassing to see that some people with the most luxurious and expensive groceries were donating less than others from whom I know they don't have that much themselves.
My weekend is pretty much filled with bills and trying to collect the paperwork for my income taxes. I have some questions for my financial advisor. But first I need to hang out the laundry.

知人者智,自知者明
Ann_Marie_PA
Pro BakeSpacer

PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2014 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Found this:
http://www.lifeloveliz.com/2014/01/30/151-sensational-soup-recipes/
Martha
Capo di tutti Capi

PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2014 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Everybody!

Ann - Thank you for the collection of soup recipes! I've been looking for something different to try. You know what you could try for the kitty's dry skin? Get some fish oil capsules (I think they have them at the Dollar Store) and prick one with a pin and squirt it on their food. It's supposed to help.

I decided to go out and shovel since there's a thaw. It is 36° so I figured I'd better get up the thick frozen stuff on the driveway. Now it's down to bare concrete for the first time in ages.

I had a disaster with my baking for the club this week! I made a Lemon Meringue Pie. It looked so beautiful... but the filling didn't set!! I put it in the refrigerator in the hopes that it would get thicker, but it never did. I don't know what I did wrong. Oh well, I made another batch of piecrust and made a cherry pie instead. It was still a little warm when I delivered it... I hope nobody noticed. On Thurs I had already made some cookies (Choc Swirls, Almond Biscotti and Molasses) so there was plenty of desserts to go around. They were having a special Barbecue Ribs Dinner so they were expecting a lot of customers.

Is everybody planning something special for tomorrow's Super Bowl Game? Jim doesn't actually watch the game, he just checks in occasionally to see the score because he always buys a couple of squares in the Super Bowl pool. Wink I like to see the new commercials, but I can always see them on the internet. I'm going to make a pizza for us to munch and maybe some of those Cinnamon Rolls that "Dutchmom" was talking about.
dutchmom4
Pro Chef

PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2014 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good Evening, Friends!

Due to the snow, the few errands turned into a couple errands. Even with our street mailbox cleared, the mail truck was stuck in front until neighborhood men pushed her out. Karl would have helped... still cleaning his mother's roof until sunset.

I did far less baking/cooking than planned. The cinnamon rolls were an experiment for those who are allergic to nuts, coconut, etc... He enjoyed the rolls. Smile

Ann - What a joy to read about your warmer temperatures.

Fan - Didn't see you drop in yet. Maybe tomorrow. Smile Thanks for mentioning hake. I haven't bought any for a long time.

Martha - Reading your post, your cooking/baking sounds delicious. Did you make cinnamon rolls, as well? You are having warmer temperatures, too.

~~Vicki

Ann_Marie_PA
Pro BakeSpacer

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2014 5:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Morning,

So much for the warmer weather:

THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN CLEVELAND HAS ISSUED A WINTER WEATHER ADVISORY FOR SNOW...WHICH IS IN EFFECT UNTIL 1 PM EST THIS AFTERNOON.
* ACCUMULATIONS...ADDITIONAL SNOW ACCUMULATIONS OF 2 TO 4 INCHES CAN BE EXPECTED BY 1 PM THIS AFTERNOON.

SPECIAL WEATHER STATEMENT
Sunday, Feb 2, 8:15am
...DIFFICULT TRAVEL EXPECTED THIS MORNING FROM SNOW...
SNOW WILL CONTINUE ACROSS THE AREA IN THE WAKE OF A COLD FRONT THIS MORNING. THE SNOW SHOULD BEGIN TO TAPER OFF LATE THIS MORNING FROM WEST TO EAST. ADDITIONAL SNOWFALL ACCUMULATIONS OF 1 TO 3 INCHES ARE POSSIBLE BEFORE THE SNOW ENDS. FLASH FREEZING IS POSSIBLE ON UNTREATED SURFACES AND THIS WILL LIKELY CAUSE SLICK SPOTS.

Vicki - I seen on the Weather Nation channel (our new weather station on TV) that you were getting some big snows up there -- 8 inches+ if I remember correctly. Whew!! After all the rain we had yesterday and to wake up to this snow, ugh...blah. Sad

Martha - Jim shoveled too right down to the bare cement for the sidewalks. Can't tell it now. Confused

On the DirecTV they took off the Weather Channel, said they wanted more money and the negotiations didn't go well...they added Weather Nation to their line-up.

Got the downstairs cleaned up yesterday, will be doing the upstairs today. And I won't be running to Walmart or any other store like I had planned. Won't be out on those icky roads today.

Hope everyone has a good time with the game tonight. We don't watch, neither of us are interested in football. And like Martha said, we can watch the commercials on TV.

Stay safe! Stay warm!
Ann

Ann_Marie_PA
Pro BakeSpacer

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2014 6:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Waiting for Jim to call to let me know he got to work ok so I am surfing a little bit on the Web, found this:

http://www.chef-in-training.com/2014/01/75-pudding-mix-desserts/
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BakeSpace.com Member Forums Forum Index -> The Breakfast Club All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: