BakeSpace.com Member Forums
Welcome to the BakeSpace.com forums. Please email us at babette@bakespace.com once you have register so that we may quickly activate your forum account. Please provide us with your username so we can find your account. Thank you!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Tuesday, 2 days before Thanksgiving!....
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    BakeSpace.com Member Forums Forum Index -> The Breakfast Club
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ToniTNY
Senior Sous Chefs

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2007 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi everyone. Checking in at lunch time. It's a grey, dreary and chilly day here in New York. Even the ocean is not pretty today.

Debbie - you're going to love that gooey Butter Cake of Paula Deen's. I made it last year for Thanksgiving and it flew out of the pan. It was so easy, too. I don't generally like things made with a cake mix, but that's an exception. I also love FoodGuy's cake from the TOH board that starts with a spice cake mix. Mmmmm!

Eric - congrats on starting your new job. Sounds like it started out the right way. One of my best friends work for Citi as an AVP in large lending. She was in NYC for many many years and then transferred out here to Long Island some time ago. As for that bath - good luck! I hate baths. As soon as I get in the tub or the hot tub, I start thinking of all the things I could be doing, and I make myself nuts LOL! My husband, on the other hand, is a bigger girl than I am. He's in the hot tub every single night of the year. Maybe a brandy or two before bed..... (BTW, my husband's a huge Pats fan also)

Marlene - Think positive. Good luck with your exam. I can't imagine your daughter's travels. What a wonderful experience.

Joybowes - I can just see you flying out of that classroom LOL! You've got lots to do before you go. One of these days I'm going to attempt pumpkin rolls. A friend makes hundreds of them at a clip with her church group for an annual sale. All the women pitch in. I think I"ll just try one at a time.

Debbie - what time will the Texas Sheet Cake be ready? I would love that. So what for not being conventional - I'm making cannolis -- it's traditional for Thanksgiving, if you come from my Italian family!

Ann Marie - I wish we'd get a bit of snow, at least for Christmas. I love snow, but we've gotten very little of it on Long Island the last few years. Actually, we see lots more ice than snow these days, which stinks. I'd much rather drive in snow than ice -- or walk on it for that matter. I'm not too graceful LOL.

Welcome back Grammadotcom - lots of us pop in and out as life permits us. It's always nice to catch back up.

DDP, get your laundry room ready! My daughter's in college, too, but her apartment is less than a block away from us -- somehow she manages to make her way here when the machine is empty and I've just finished cooking! Would you believe I have a daughter who absolutely hates to cook? Oh Lord, where did I go wrong LOL? Luckily, my son cooks, so at least I'm not a complete failure at passing along the gene. Her first apartment didn't even have a stove in it, and she was just fine with that! Go figure.

Tango, I'm ready for pumpkin bread. I made lemon bread last night, and tonight I need to get the pumpkin bread and banana bread baked -- sooner or later.

Well, end of break for me. Another day, another dollar - and another $3.29 for gas! Hi to everyone else that was here or to come. Cya tonight!
EC
Elite BakeSpacer

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2007 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Toni - Go Pats and GO BRANDY, lol!

http://www.facebook.com/home.php?#/eric.cronwell?__a=1

http://bakespace.com/?ericmsdw2007
Ann_Marie_PA
Pro BakeSpacer

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2007 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Taking a break from raking leaves. Man, I hate those two trees we have out back. We've been wanting to get them cut down for the past few months but with the way Jim's work is, we can't right now. Sad

Eric - for me, the epsom salt baths always seem to help...maybe it is a mental thing. Smile Plus I usually take an Advil before getting into the baths, so between the two one of them must work. Smile I might have to do that after raking our backyard.

Toni - I love snow too...don't like green Christmases. Have to tell you this little story, it seemed every year Mom came up for Christmas we would actually get snowed in for a day or two after Christmas. The first year we lived in this little town, Mom got stuck here for 2 extra days before I could take her home! So now, between Jim, Mom and I we have our own little "inside" joke. Smile Her friends always tell her to bring extra clothes and extra dog food for Benji when she comes up here in the winter. LOL!!

The Pumpkin Gooey Cake sounds good! Will add that to my list later. Need to get something to drink then head back to my piles of leaves.

Later,
Ann
EC
Elite BakeSpacer

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2007 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ann Marie - hope you're not so sore that you have to resort to the bath!

http://www.facebook.com/home.php?#/eric.cronwell?__a=1

http://bakespace.com/?ericmsdw2007
Ann_Marie_PA
Pro BakeSpacer

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2007 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eric - yep, had a nice warm bubble bath with some epsom salts thrown in...and an Advil. Smile My legs ache from dragging the leaves down to the woods. Our backyard looks nice now. Smile
ddpie
Elite BakeSpacer

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2007 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi again everyone!

Well I did make some progress today. Got a batch of honey-wheat rolls baked, my pie crust mixed and chillin' for tomorrow, I also caved and made a banana cream pie for Jamie (I said for them not to expect any baked goods til after thanksgiving, yeah, right) I got the cheese sauce done/ready for the green bean casserole, plus I made a chicken, brocolli and rice casserole for tonights supper (funny huh Debbie?)

Tomorrow I'll have to bake my pumpkin pies and bake the white rolls. Then all I'll have to do Thurs is make the green bean casserole. Whew, I really don't know how I used to do ALL the cooking, I'm whipped....

Speaking of which....Yeah, Eric, buck up and take it like a man! (you're right, that's EXACTLY what I'd say to ya, HA! Somehow I just don't picture you in a bath with candles, bubbles and a loofah LOL

Speaking of Eric (jk)..Has everyone seen the bachelor? I didn't want to ruin it for anyone that had it tivo'd....but WOW, hurry up and watch so I can put in my two cents LOL

Debbie- thanks for thinking of my FIL, and I completely understand, there are so many to keep up with on here, it's ok! I wish I had remembered Paula Deens gooey cake, darn it. I would have made that instead of pumpkin pies. Oh well, thanks for jotting down the recipe, I'm going to go add it now!!!

Jennifer & Toni- I don't do Jamie's laundry, in fact, all of my girls have done their own laundry since like middle school. I just have to step over PILES of it in the laundry room, and yes, she brings her bed clothes, comforter, pillows etc (can't say I blame her) LOL Guess I better quit complaining, at least she does it herself Smile

Marlene- good luck on your exam. I agree with everyone else, I think you are way to hard on yourself girl! You're definitely one smart cookie that can hold her own Smile BTW....I have German blood as well. My great grandfather came over from Germany and brought my grandpa (don't ask me where, my grandfather has been gone for quite sometime) His name was VanRager, once here, he dropped the "Van" and kept the surname "Rager" is that common? I really should do a family tree sometime.

Well, gonna go watch the news and get caught up with Jamers. Talk to evreyone tomorrow! Have a good nite!
queenietwo
Capo di tutti Capi

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2007 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, you crazy people. I failed the first exam and I had expected to fail it. This exam, tomorrow night, will be more of the same. I have been burning my brains out and even though I looked up both words in a phrase in my assigned reading I still have no idea what I had read. You can't pass that way.

DD - most of my grandparents came from Luxemburg but some from Germany. The original family name was Fousch, and through marriages it then became Steil, so as that is a French spelling of the name rather than German it is presumed they originated in France. When they emmigrated they arrived in New York and from there they spread out to Wisconsin, Utah, Ohio, Minnesota and then to Saskatchewan. My father's grandparents originated in Germany and emmigrated to New York and then owed a farm which was Wheeling, West Virginia. It was sold off in bits and pieces and Wheeling came about. They were Brinkmeiers. My great grandfather, after the farm sale, had a photo studio in Wheeling.

A relative in Saskatchewan researched for something like 8 years to find out all the family history into the 1700s. He had a book on the Steil family published. A really interesting read with copies of wills, homestead sales and purchases and such.

Marlene
Ann_Marie_PA
Pro BakeSpacer

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2007 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Marlene - that's neat about family history. My Uncle was doing it until he passed a way, now his son is doing it. Would like to email him and see if he could send me the family tree but the poor guy is SO busy. Might have my brother mention it to him the next time he calls.

Watching "A Charlie Brown Thanksgiving"...can't miss anything Peanuts!

Waiting patiently for DWTS to come on at 9, wish they would be put it back on at 8.

Have a good night,
Ann
grammadotcom
Pro Chef

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2007 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Monkeybusiness, I posted on the CCE thread that I wanted to do it. So count me in.
I just got home from my wilton class. I am learning some new techniques for fondant and gumpaste. We made small trinket boxes and carnations tonight. Here is me cake from last week.

Well I have some jobs I need to report on here so I had better get busy on them.Talk to ya'll tomorrow.

https://picturesforbakespace.shutterfly.com/pictures
pattit
Pro BakeSpacer

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2007 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh my, another busy day. I started it off by oversleeping!! I think I really needed it though, so I don't feel too bad. I got the floors all swept and mopped, excess appliances off my counters, pecan pie made, two pie crusts chilling for the pumpkin pies I am making tomorrow, the cranberry conserve made, throw rugs washed. Anyway, lots done today, boy am I tired. Years ago I made up a time line of things to do to get ready for Thanksgiving so I don't forget anything, it really helps me now that I am so forgetful.
**Dd, glad to hear that your FIL is doing well. Hopefully all the scary stuff is over. Enjoy your time with Jamie. Hmmmmm, you are so much like me, I can't help but make stuff when my youngest son comes home for a visit.
**Debbie, I taped the Amazing Race, so I could watch it with my hubby. I only got half of it, something before it ran over so I got a half hour of 60 minutes and half of AR. Rolling Eyes
**Joy, kids can put the fear into you with forgetting stuff until the last minute, can't they? Glad everything turned out okay, and that you were able to go to the DMV, what fun that is!
**Tango, you seem so busy since you quit work, ha ha. Like they say, a woman's work is never done.
**Eric, I am glad that things are going so well for you at work. I am sorry that you are feeling under the weather though. Eric, you are like me, I haven't had a bath in about 20 years. Ha ha. I just love a shower!!
**Jennifer, like I said, kids just all seem to forget those kind of things. I am sure you whipped something good up for Wyatt's snacks for school.
**Grammadotcom, we had a lot of fog and a mostly dreary day here today. Between running the dryer and baking, it was nice and warm in here though. sorry to hear that you were sick last week. Seems like a lot of people are now. That cake was beautiful!!! You are very talented!
**Marlene, it is so nice that you get to hear from your daughter so often. Today's technology is great isn't it. I am sorry that you are having such a tough time with your courses. It is great that you know so much about your family history.
**Debbie, is pumpkin over-kill possible?? I love anything with pumpkin! I am sure that your Texas Sheet Cake with be a hit too. You are right, nothing wrong with keeping your man happy. Wink I got caught in my jammies today also. The UPS man had a delivery for me. Embarassed
**Tony, the price of gas is getting real scary isn't it. Sorry that you had a dreary day like we did here. My youngest son just loves cannolis! and we aren't Italian. I haven't ever made a pumpkin roll either, my SIL keeps saying they are very easy.
**Ann Marie, we got rid of a lot of trees in the last couple of years, so thankfully we didn't have as many leaves to clean up as we usually do.
Something tells me that when your Mom gets snowed in at your house, that neither of you minds it too much. I hope your legs are all better by morning. I watched the Charlie Brown Thanksgiving special also!

Hope I don't make everyone's eyes sore with this long post.

http://photostosharewithbakespace.shutterfly.com/pictures
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BakeSpace.com Member Forums Forum Index -> The Breakfast Club All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: