BakeSpace.com Member Forums
Welcome to the BakeSpace.com forums. Please email us at babette@bakespace.com once you have register so that we may quickly activate your forum account. Please provide us with your username so we can find your account. Thank you!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

THANKSGIVING 2006 - Share your story
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    BakeSpace.com Member Forums Forum Index -> Cooking S.O.S.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Babette
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2006 11:06 am    Post subject: THANKSGIVING 2006 - Share your story Reply with quote

Happy Thanksgiving - let us know how you celebrated your Thanksgiving. Triumphs, mishaps, funny moments and whatever's on your mind -

And don't forget tips for leftovers -
Laura66
Commis Chef

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2006 11:23 am    Post subject: Our Family Thanksgiving Reply with quote

What a day.... our turkey almost didn't make it. Remind me to never, never leave the success of the turkey in anyone else's hands. It's not worth it. My poor cousin Karl - he tried to baste, but juice got everywhere. And I mean everywhere. It was almost as if he never saw a baster before. I also assumed he had read the directions and realized that you don't cook a turkey at 500 degrees. Hello? But all was not lost.. an hour into I realized something wasn't going well and noticed the temp.
Shwoosh! Day saved.

We also did a pot luck this year (our first time) and let's just say... I'm amazed at how many different ways mashed potatoes can come out. My sister actually called them "Martha's Chunky Potatos" and tried to claim that she followed Martha's recipe to a T - (I think Martha Stewart would have died if she saw her recipe butchered). Anyway, the conversation & wine was great so the fact that the food was less then perfect didn't matter. I'll try to post some photos later (once I fugure out how to get the pic off the camera... )
hollymcdonoughga
Executive Chef

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2006 11:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Praying ya'all had a wonderful Thanksgiving holiday-was sick all yesterday and today and can't hold a thing down and haven't even been able to try to eat a thing Embarassed MDH John has been taking care of me, so I ruint his Thanksgiving. for him and our family
lightningbug
Commis Chef

PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2006 1:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We were all gathered with one turkey in the oven nearly done, one in the fryer outside almost done. Ham was done....

I looked out the window and saw lots of smoke and fire. An old trash fire had stirred up in the mild breeze. It was way out of bounds. We all ran out and grabbed containers and buckets, tupperware things, whatever. Finally got the thing beat down. I was soaked from an out of control hose that got away from me. We were so tired and stinky, but our dinner was fine. In the midst of carrying water, I ask one of the men to keep the fryer turkey in mind.

The lady bringing the homemade rolls, called and guess what? No rolls. So I dug out a quick roll that was done in 10 min. They were fine, not as good as a great yeast roll though.

All in all the dinner was wonderful. Lots to be thankful for.
bug
cookiebakr
Capo di tutti Capi

PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2006 1:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Our Thanksgiving was uneventful. I went to my eldest sister's house - two of her children and their families and my eldest brother and sister in-law were there too. There were 17 of us, a small gathering compared to other years. This was our first Thanksgiving without our dear little mother which put a damper on the festivities. We had tons of good food and lots of conversation - I had a nice time.

Holly - I'm sorry to hear that you weren't well yesterday. I hope you are feeling better today.

Sheryle
monkeybusiness
Pro Chef

PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2006 8:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

HELLO TO ALL BOARD FRIENDS.....So glad to hear everryone had a nice Thanksgiving with thier families! DH and I went to his parents home for dinner and my DMIL really out did herself for dinner except there wasn't anything homemade with the exception of my sweet potatoes.
We then went to my niece's home,where eveyone on my side of the family meant for dinner. I didn't eat again, but DH did! I was in too much pain from my bad foot to even think about walking up to the buffet to see what they all fixed. MY mom was very ill and stayed home and we brought dinner to her and dad. I ws telling my MOM that it just did not seem like THANKSGIVING without seeing her cooking for 3 days and eating all her homemade cooking! God bless her she was in bed with oxygen on her. We do have a lot to be "THANKFUK " for ..that she made it out of the hospital alive!!

A clean house is the sign of a broken computer.

http://bakespace.com/?monkeybusiness6
babs
Chef

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2006 4:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There really isn't a story to tell about my Thanksgiving, BUT I did hear a funny line from my boyfriend's brother-in-law. We were all sitting down starting to fill our plates, when he started to pass around the gravy - he said, "Don't worry, the gravy will save it" (referring to the turkey). I'm not sure if his humor is showing through here.. but the way he said it I about died... Anyhow, I took a photo of my plate and I'm waiting to get it.

Hope you all had a great holiday...

I avoided all shops... life's too short.
gardenpoet
Commis Chef

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2006 4:41 am    Post subject: Thanksgiving Reply with quote

Went to my brother & sister-in-law & cute niece & nephew. Food was pretty good, though most was ordered from a grocer & I'm not thrilled about eating food cooked in plastic My Mom's stuffing and my sweet potato puff and two-layer cheesecake and pumpkin pie were hits. A nice French couple brought good wine. We ate outdoors, though it was a little cool. Nice conversation, fine time had by all.
anita
Chef

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2006 1:39 pm    Post subject: thanksgiving Reply with quote

Sad Ours went pretty well. I did all the cooking and baking. Had about 15 here. This was the first thanksgiving my dad wasn't here, he died february 27th. of this year. My mother has alzhiemer and i really wanted her to have a great day.

Nita Smile
cheryl
Commis Chef

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 12:18 pm    Post subject: Happy Belate Thanksgiving Reply with quote

Will my DH and I spent the day with my inlaws. They live about 4 hrs away. We left ds home (he didnt want to go,,he is 22),dd and her husband went to her inlaws. It was the first time ever I wasnt with my kids on thanksgiving! To weird it was,but I made it....lol DS was asked by his sis to go with them,he chose not to. But she made a big turkey dinner Friday for her BIL's and a SIL and her brother.So he had a good eats there.

Anyhoo we,the 4 of us went out for dinner to a little DINER in a town close to them. Now mind you,where they live there isnt anything better then a Denny's,nothing fancy...lol So this diner we went to had a turkey dinner for ya,not the best. The people were so very nice tho,so that made it a special day. You could tell they dont have much for money either,so I made sure DH tipped them well for their kindness. So that was a gift to me,it made me feel like I shared my kindness. (dh said we will never go out to eat again on turkey day) LOL

We spent 3 nights with inlaws and drove home.

I love reading others holiday stories to Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BakeSpace.com Member Forums Forum Index -> Cooking S.O.S. All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: