BakeSpace.com Member Forums
Welcome to the BakeSpace.com forums. Please email us at babette@bakespace.com once you have register so that we may quickly activate your forum account. Please provide us with your username so we can find your account. Thank you!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

How do you cook flavoured mash?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    BakeSpace.com Member Forums Forum Index -> Cooking S.O.S.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Babette
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2007 10:21 am    Post subject: How do you cook flavoured mash? Reply with quote

How do you perk up mashed potatoes?
Jane
Garde Manger Chef

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2007 7:43 am    Post subject: Winter Mash Reply with quote

I find that mashed potatoes can get quite boring so I throw my potatoes in boiling water with whatever other veggies I have on hand such as parsnip, carrots, yams etc. Then after 20 min. or so I drain them and mash them all together with some cream and butter, salt and pepper. If I'm feeling particularly fat that day I use milk...
auntiEM
Garde Manger Chef

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 2:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't perk my mashed potatoes up with extra ingredients but I make sure the seasoning is great. I add my salt (don't be stingy--at least a teaspoon is needed) and a stick of butter to the bowl prior to adding my boiled drained potatoes. I allow the potatoes to set in the bowl for at least a minutes so the butter will melt.

I mash the potatoes slowly until potatoes are fairly well mashed and the butter and salt is incorporated. Continuing to mash, I add milk as necessary to make a good consistency. It is impossible to put a measurement on the milk because so much depends on the potatoes--I never know. Less is better since you can add milk but not take it away. Evaporated milk is great in mashed potatoes. I don't normally buy evaporated milk just for this purpose, but if I have some on hand it will be in my mashed potatoes.
anita
Chef

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 1:06 pm    Post subject: potatoes Reply with quote

Smile Mashed potatoes are great with sour cream and chives diced in them.

anita Smile
Cary
Junior Sous Chef

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2007 6:41 pm    Post subject: Mashed Potatoes Reply with quote

I add a head of roasted garlic to the potatoes when mashing.
If you add butter to your potatoes, try caramelizing some onions in it then add it to your mash.
Liberal amounts of salt and pepper are a must
karen
Junior Sous Chef

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2007 9:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Mashed Potatoes Reply with quote

Cary wrote:
I add a head of roasted garlic to the potatoes when mashing.
If you add butter to your potatoes, try caramelizing some onions in it then add it to your mash.
Liberal amounts of salt and pepper are a must

I just bought some potatos... I've been trying to find some way to make them.. thanks for posting this (and all the other above). If I remember to take a photo I will and post it.
Babette
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2007 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK.. this is going to sound stupid. but does anyone use an electric mixer to mix their mashed potatos? Does it work?
demartino
Chef de Cuisine

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2007 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It won't get all the lumps out, but it should do the trick. Start with the paddle attachment to break up the cooked potatoes and get them down to a more manageable size. Then switch to the whisk attachment, add some butter or half and half, and whisk (slowly at first) to incorporate both the liquid and air, until you get a fairly uniform, light consistency.

Jason
culinarilyobsessed
Executive Chef

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2007 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm a simple girl, not usually wanting too much "perking up". Good mashed potatoes to me just require the right amount of butter, milk/cream, and salt and pepper.

If you want creamy mashed potatoes cream cheese is a good addition.
Motherof2Boys
Capo di tutti Capi

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2007 5:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I always use a electric mixer. My mom started doing it and I just followed along. Maybe it's called being lazy, but I don't care it gets the job done!! Laughing

I've added sour cream, shredded cheese, cream cheese, butter, salt & pepper to sort of make a twice baked potatoe without the baked potatoe. Put in greased casserole at 350 for 20 minutes, top with cheese allow to melt and serve. My kids love it.

Jen

http://bakespace.com/?motherof2boys
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BakeSpace.com Member Forums Forum Index -> Cooking S.O.S. All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: