BakeSpace.com Member Forums
Welcome to the BakeSpace.com forums. Please email us at babette@bakespace.com once you have register so that we may quickly activate your forum account. Please provide us with your username so we can find your account. Thank you!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

July Wine - Orange Muscat
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    BakeSpace.com Member Forums Forum Index -> Monthly Wine Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Vote for the August grape picker (LOL)
BobtheDude
33%
 33%  [ 2 ]
Espressojoe
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Girlichef
16%
 16%  [ 1 ]
CulinaryAlchemist
33%
 33%  [ 2 ]
ImStuffed
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
DDpie
16%
 16%  [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 6

girlichef
Chef

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2009 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't tried Meijer, but it is one of the one's I was planning on checking because all of ours have a pretty big selection, too!
CulinaryAlchemist
Pro BakeSpacer

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am SO far behind... I am glad I poked around today instead of just posting the "Tomorrow is.... " Joe should be able to do a review on this as well... Cause I made him drink one over the weekend of the 4th... OK, so MADE a little to strong of a word when it comes to wine... Laughing

I used part of it for a Orange Muscat Creme sauce to pour over the Cambazola stuffed prosciutto wrapped pork loins... Orange Muscat and a Lightly flavored Bleu cheese are awesome together...

Rhubarb and Orange muscat are a pair made in heaven.....

Works well for Poaching pears and Figs as well...

Excellent in Carameled Walnut pie too (When there is no Gran Marnier around)

OK, Must take picture when I get home...

http://bakespace.com/?culinaryalchemist
http://www.twitter.com/CulinaryAlchemy
BobtheDude
Capo di tutti Capi

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, so the liquor store that I go to has, for some reason, stopped carrying all muscats. Or they've moved them. The kid behind the counter was kind of vague and dumb. So I just wound up grabbing a random bottle and it turned out to be very much a dessert wine. Heh.

Oh, I got the corkscrew, Babs! Thanks. Smile I'm going to do a post about it this weekend.

Anyway, here it goes.

Name: Alice White Red Lexia
Price: 6.99
Year: 2006

Short intro from the wine maker about the wine: Red Lexia is a sweet, lusciously red wine with a crisp, refreshing finish that is delightful chilled. Give it a go on it's own or with spicy Thai and Indian dishes or light desserts like fruit tarts and almond cookies.
Review: First off, let's not have any misconceptions here. This is not wine. It is candy. Details? Ok. It's very fruity, peach, red berries and plums. Tastes like it too. I'm not sure they even used grapes to make it. Despite the number of flavors it's not a powerful taste, which is a double edged sword I guess. Very smooth and sweet with a clean finish. Doesn't really taste like wine. Where was this stuff when I was a teenager? I enjoyed it, but not in a "I'm going to buy this for myself" kind of way, more a "my girlfriend didn't drink her wine coolers and I don't feel like going to the store" kind of way.
Would you buy again?: Maybe, if I'm doing a fruit something.
Wine Pairing Ideas/Recipes: Fruit and lots of it. I bet it would be good with trifle, maybe even in a whipped cream or a reduction for a dessert. I actually ate meatball Lean Pockets with it and it went surprisingly well. But I think part of it is that it's flavor isn't terribly assertive. I could see eating it with spicy foods.

espressojoe
Capo di tutti Capi

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 10:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Babbs, GREAT Choice!! Muscat in all its White forms is a special love of mine!! The “Black” Muscats are always too thick, so I stick with the White varieties here.

Orange Muscat’s popularity is growing, and luckily more and more is not as thick and syrupy as used to be common. Its surge in popularity is widely attributed to its relative ease in cultivating in California, a large wine producing region for us in the U.S.

DD, Muscato D’Asti is one of my FAVORITE wines!!!! Love it!!!! It’s ever so slightly bubbly, light, and WONDERFUL on a hot, 120 degree Yuma summer day (or a “cool” 100 degree Yuma summer NIGHT).

Bob, Red Lexia is made with grapes, and thanks to your review, I had to google it and will defiantly try it. It is a “Rose” Muscat, which just blows my mind. I have never heard of a “Rose” Muscat! Normally I don’t care for Rose wine, but “Black” Muscat is always way too syrupy, looks like the Australians found a way to counter this, and redeem both the “Black” Muscat and the Rose Wine, though I’ll have to try a case…err, bottle, to be sure.

Ok, so Bob offered me a “new” form of Muscat, a Rose, and at Shane’s last weekend, I tried an even stranger mix for Orange Muscat. He had an Orange Muscat PORT!!! Muscat, and Port, my two favorite wines married together. Now, my review may be a little muddied from my being a Port snob, but I’ll try to be fair…Will be interesting to see Shane review this same wine.

Sorry, no pics, didn’t think of that then.

Also, sorry everyone, but this is from a local winery in Ramona (just north east of San Diego) that does not go through a distributor, so the only way to get this wine is to go to the winery itself. Will this lure any of you to come out west?

THE REVIEW

Name: Schwaesdall Orange Muscat Port

Price: $21.00 plus tax for a 350 ml bottle

Year: 2007

PHOTO of bottle: Sorry, no photo…Maybe Shane still has the bottle…

Short intro from the wine maker about the wine:
Floral with lime and tangerine up front, berries on the nose with black cherries on the palate and overtones of leather on the finish

Review:
Ok, Schwaesdall Winery was where I was first introduced to Ports, and so I naturally had HIGH expectations here. This wine was very rich and lush, decadent and sweet Nirvana! It was thick, thicker than I normally like Muscats, though the fortification of attempting to transfer it into a Port perfectly balanced the flavor and smoothness. It started very floral with the tangerines, then followed with a light black cherry.

Overall, a very unique Fortified Orange Muscat that sent me to desert wine ecstasy, but not what I would call a Port. I will remember this luscious gem of the San Diego mountains in its own special category. A rare, beyond definition wine!!

Would you buy again?: I didn’t buy this bottle and can’t believe Shane spent THAT much on such a small bottle, but if I had the money and opportunity, yes, defiantly!

Wine Pairing Ideas/Recipes:

Shane served us stuffed figs. First the figs were cut in half, some of the seeds removed, then lightly brushed with cinnamon and white truffle oil. Then stuffed with a mix of Mascarpone and Goat cheese. Was it good? Well, my friend Gill keeps asking “when are we going back to Shane’s”!! He was a chef in the Marines, and he’s willing to drive 3 hours for it, so what’s that tell you?

Ohh, and this was one of Shane’s “simple and fast” hors d’oeuvres!

http://www.bakespace.com/?espressojoe

ddpie
Elite BakeSpacer

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2009 4:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bob- LOL, you so crack me up dude! "Where was this stuff when I was a teenager?" hahahahahhaa, that's how I felt with my last one too.

Joe- I'm so jealous....food, wine and Shane as the host? I imagine it doesn't get much better than that! Sounds like you had a wonderful birthday dinner.

Good to see both of you guys posting....we've missed ya! for reals Wink
BobtheDude
Capo di tutti Capi

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2009 6:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joe: Wait a sec, Red Lexia is a Muscat? I just grabbed a random bottle out of the bargain bin! How weird is that? Heh, I figured it was made with grapes, I was being a bit facetious since it tasted so strongly like other fruit.

DD: Very Happy

ddpie
Elite BakeSpacer

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2009 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, just reporting in.....

Heather, I went to Meijer last nite, one that has a HUGE wine selection.....NO ORANGE MUSCAT to be found! grrrrrrrrr

So the man and I chose to forgo wine and bought Blue Moon beer instead, with orange slices....close enough? LOL

I'm just about out of liquor stores in this area (we've checked in 5 of them) So I suppose I'll just find some other whites to try.
girlichef
Chef

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2009 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LOL! Definitely...I luv Blue Moon w/ oj slices Razz I kid you not, I walked in the door from Meijer about 15 minutes ago.
Even though I wouldn't have been able to buy it today (stupid Sunday rule), I looked. NOPE! None here either...just the same few brands of Moscato!! Very frustrating.

Now I'm craving Blue Moon. Stupid Sunday Rule. I do live close to the border though, so I may have to drive into Michigan and grab some Blue Moon Laughing
ddpie
Elite BakeSpacer

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2009 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

girlichef wrote:
LOL! Definitely...I luv Blue Moon w/ oj slices Razz I kid you not, I walked in the door from Meijer about 15 minutes ago.
Even though I wouldn't have been able to buy it today (stupid Sunday rule), I looked. NOPE! None here either...just the same few brands of Moscato!! Very frustrating.

Now I'm craving Blue Moon. Stupid Sunday Rule. I do live close to the border though, so I may have to drive into Michigan and grab some Blue Moon Laughing

Oh I hear ya girl, that law is so archaic, I can't believe it's still on the books! I think I heard on the news not to long ago that they were trying to change it? Along with the "no purchasing" of alcohol on poll days. WTF? As if the hard core drunk by 6:00pm dead beat is gonna get off his ass to go out and vote anyway??? LOL

Anywho, meantime, we still have some (still in the cooler LOL) come on down Wink ROFLMAO So I guess I totally sound like one of "them", huh? Then again, I have "some leftover"..... that thar is a sign of hope, right? am I right? ar ar Shocked
girlichef
Chef

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2009 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

...be there in 3 1/2 hrs. Shocked

I wish.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BakeSpace.com Member Forums Forum Index -> Monthly Wine Chat All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 3 of 9

Jump to: