BakeSpace.com Member Forums
Welcome to the BakeSpace.com forums. Please email us at babette@bakespace.com once you have register so that we may quickly activate your forum account. Please provide us with your username so we can find your account. Thank you!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

September Wine ~ Cabernet Sauvignon
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    BakeSpace.com Member Forums Forum Index -> Monthly Wine Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Who gets to choose the next wine?
imstuffed
20%
 20%  [ 1 ]
ddpie
40%
 40%  [ 2 ]
bobthedude
40%
 40%  [ 2 ]
Total Votes : 5

ddpie
Elite BakeSpacer

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2009 6:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have 3 new ones to try. I'm hoping to get to some this weekend Wink
ddpie
Elite BakeSpacer

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2009 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Name: Cabernet Savignon, Columbia Crest, Two Vines
Price: 4.99
Year: 2006
PHOTO of bottle:

Short intro from the wine maker about the wine:

Review:
With the label promising notes of cherry, vanilla and oak, I found this Cab to be a bit disappointing. It was a bit too dry for my taste, which I don’t really mind, provided there is character. It was a rich deep garnet color, the bouquet was fruity and that’s about where the good impressions ended. However, I can’t be too harsh…it was at least drinkable.

Would you buy again?: mmmm, probably not

Wine Pairing Ideas/Recipes:
I ran for a tasting plate of applewood cheddar, vermont cheddar, semi-sweet chocolate, salty nuts, and even a green apple….trying desperately to coax something out of this wine. I got nadda. The only thing that tasted good with it were the two cheddars. If I were to drink it with any meal, it might be a red tomato sauce of some sort.
ddpie
Elite BakeSpacer

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2009 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Name: Casillero del Diablo
Price: around the $14 range, I think!
Year: 2007
PHOTO of bottle:

Short intro from the wine maker about the wine:
Nothing much on the back label, but I found the website here:
http://www.casillerodeldiablo.com/en/ficha_productos_carmenere.php

Review:
The color was awesome and again, as the last one, looked promising. The bouquet was a little flat and at first sip, I thought it was really young. (yeasty smell) So I decanted it even though it was an ’07 thinking that would help. I got very subtle cherry notes, but again, nothing much else… although the tannins were softer than the previous Cab I tried tonight. Maybe my palate is way off or something, because after visiting the site and seeing the description, I was left wondering….coffee? where were the coffee notes? LOL

Would you buy again?: I loved everything about this wine but the taste….in fact, I didn’t want to waste the bottle, so I blended it with an Oliver’s Winery black cherry that I had on hand just so I could have something drinkable. LMAO

Wine Pairing Ideas/Recipes: I got nothin’ because I didn’t give it a chance with even my tasting plate. 

P.S….I’m so bummed, I was so looking forward to Cabs this month…I must be having a run of bad luck!!!!
EC
Elite BakeSpacer

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2009 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dajana- since wouldn't YOU be welcome?

http://www.facebook.com/home.php?#/eric.cronwell?__a=1

http://bakespace.com/?ericmsdw2007
BobtheDude
Capo di tutti Capi

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2009 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awesome! When I bought my B.C. Rich Warlock (it's a very pointy, black, heavy metal looking guitar) I got a bottle of Casillero del Diablo Merlot to christen it with (for obvious reasons Wink). I haven't been able to find it since.

I don't remember if I liked it or not. Not that it matters if I did, I was 21 at the time and my palette was even less sophisticated than it is now. Smile

ddpie
Elite BakeSpacer

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2009 4:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bob, I think I bought that one at Kroger hehehehe

You know what really sucks is that I had tried several cabs that were really good (right before we started the wine club) and so it was before I started my wine journal.....now I can't remember for the life of me what they were. I remember one in particular that I could taste like all these notes, which kept changing with everything I ate, and remember thinking...so that's what everyone is talking about.

I seriously wish my palette would hurry up and grow up LOL
ImStuffed
Over 10,000 Posts Club

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2009 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok....here it is...

Name: Ed Hardy '77 Tattoo
Region: says its a product of france
Price: under $10

Short intro from the wine maker about the wine: No intro. Apparently Mr. Hardy is relying on his clothing line fame to carry him into the wine industry?
Review: the bouquet is floral, the flavor is I dunno....I can't pin point it. All i know is that it only tastes good if I slurp it. otherwise its boring.
Would you buy again?: My kids were impressed with the bottle name...and ya, the bottle looks pretty cool but I have a feeling there are other better Cabs out there. I did get it from Whole Foods so I was expecting a little more from the bottle. When I bought it, I had NO idea who Ed Hardy was LOL
Wine Pairing Ideas/Recipes: doesn't taste good with Pineapple casserole, thats for sure. I inhaled my taco so fast, I have no idea if the wine tasted good with it or not Shocked Corn chips are a safe bet.

My Recipes: http://bakespace.com/?imstuffed
My Food Blog: http://peacefulcooking.blogspot.com/
My Fun Blog: http://letsridethebus.blogspot.com/
My Twitter: http://twitter.com/imstuffed
BobtheDude
Capo di tutti Capi

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2009 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's my first one. I have another one in the works, but I need to go to work. Heh.

Name: The Little Penguin
Region: SE Australia
Price: 6.50

Short intro from the wine maker about the wine: Unfortunately I can't find the bottle...
Review: I didn't let this one breath much, too impatient to get going. Heh. It has a rich, spicy aroma, with some green in there too. Pretty smooth, with a light taste, kind of tart. Earthy and you can actually taste grape. There is an herbal taste in there that I can't place. Dry, definitely.
Would you buy again?: Maybe, if just to try it in tomato sauce.
Wine Pairing Ideas/Recipes: I would drink this with rich stuff, like cheese (sharp would be best, I think) or braised lamb. I would love to make a red sauce with sausages with it, I think that would be wicked good.

ImStuffed
Over 10,000 Posts Club

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2009 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Name: Columbia-Crest Grand Estates
Region: Washington
Price: on sale for $8.99 I think
Year: 2006

Short intro from the wine maker about the wine: The Grand Estates wines are created with an artisans winemaking approach. Each distinguished vineyard selected for this wine is paired with unique oak barrels to bring out the best balance of flavors during the aging process. The assembly or assemblage of the final blend showcases this perfectly balanced win with a distinctive richness featuring black cherry and cocoa flavors. This style has become the signature of this Cabernet Sauvignon and a benchmark for Washington quality.

Review: I enjoyed this bottle a lot more than the Ed Hardy that I had previously. it was a tiny bit sweeter and went down smoothly.

Would you buy again?: yes

Wine Pairing Ideas/Recipes: It went real nicely with DD's Italian Style Herb Bread. Not so great with fried chicken

My Recipes: http://bakespace.com/?imstuffed
My Food Blog: http://peacefulcooking.blogspot.com/
My Fun Blog: http://letsridethebus.blogspot.com/
My Twitter: http://twitter.com/imstuffed
ddpie
Elite BakeSpacer

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2009 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

did I miss anyone? Spryte? did you do one?

Well I only counted 3 this month me, Danielle and Bob.

so vote people, let's get our groove on! LOL
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BakeSpace.com Member Forums Forum Index -> Monthly Wine Chat All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5

Jump to: