BakeSpace.com Member Forums
Welcome to the BakeSpace.com forums. Please email us at babette@bakespace.com once you have register so that we may quickly activate your forum account. Please provide us with your username so we can find your account. Thank you!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

November Wine ~ Gewurztraminer
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    BakeSpace.com Member Forums Forum Index -> Monthly Wine Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Please vote for December's Wine Stewardess
girlichef
62%
 62%  [ 5 ]
jmgallo
25%
 25%  [ 2 ]
ddpie
12%
 12%  [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 8

ImStuffed
Over 10,000 Posts Club

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2009 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh shoot I forgot to pick some up at the store!!!

My Recipes: http://bakespace.com/?imstuffed
My Food Blog: http://peacefulcooking.blogspot.com/
My Fun Blog: http://letsridethebus.blogspot.com/
My Twitter: http://twitter.com/imstuffed
ddpie
Elite BakeSpacer

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2009 7:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well it's been a couple of weeks and I'm just now getting around to posting the two that I've tried so far. This first one caught my eye because, well, I guess that's obvious! Can you believe I found this? HA! However, hubby refused to even taste it because he was drinking Blue Moon that night Rolling Eyes oh well, his loss.....

Name: FireHose
Price: around $6-7
Year: 2008
PHOTO of bottle:
and yes, I realize that's a white wine in a red wine glass, but all of my white wine glasses are green LOL

Short intro from the wine maker about the wine:
It was a little tough getting these pics I tell ya!!!!

Review:
Although regrettably, I really didn’t get the “mango or passion fruit”, it was very fresh, light and clean tasting. Not at all overly sweet like some Gerwurztraminers that I’ve had in the past. I’d call this one a semi-dry. Forward notes were crisp green apple, followed by slight peach (was that supposed to be the mango ya think?), that left your mouth watering, with a very clean finish.

Would you buy again?: oh yes, absolutely! This one ranks pretty high up there. In fact, it might be making an appearance on my Thanksgiving table.

Wine Pairing Ideas/Recipes:
I had already finished dinner and was headed out to the hot tub with this one, but I couldn’t resist tasting it with something. So I grabbed a few pepperoni slices and as the label suggests, I could see it going very well with peppery and/or spicy foods. In fact, I think it would be perfect with an antipasto platter, doing a good job of cleansing the palate for the next course.

Ok, next up......and yes, I totally cheated and got the pics from a website because I threw the bottle away Sad But this one ended up being my fav of the two....

Name: Fetzer, Valley Oaks
Price: 7.99 (maybe 8.99?) I really should pay more attention, sorry
PHOTO of bottle:

The wine is deep golden straw colored, with a nose of dried apricot, spicy peach, a touch of rose petal and honeysuckle. In the mouth, crisp green apple, honeyed apricot, and peach flavors meld with the traditional spicy flavors of Gewürztraminer. This medium-bodied wine’s off-dry style strikes the perfect balance between its sweetness and bright, crisp acidity. This fresh, soft wine is a true delight to sip (editors note: it absolutely was!), especially when paired with many ethnic food styles, such as Asian or Hispanic cuisines.

Review:
The nose for me was more apricot than anything and at first sip I was pleasantly caught off guard with a slight effervescence that danced on my tongue. Mid notes were more of a tart cherry followed by a very clean finish. Very nice. Not too sweet, not too dry, perfect for me. I thoroughly enjoyed every sip of this wine, I found myself wishing I had bought two bottles. (one of those after every sip you’re saying, “oh yes, this IS good”)

Would you buy again?: oh yes, most definitely, it’s on my Thanksgiving list.

Wine Pairing Ideas/Recipes:
Recommended from the producer: Sauce Weight: Light to Medium Acidity of dish: Low Preferred Cooking Method: Smoked, Grilled, Chilled Base Ingredients: Crab, Mussels, Shrimp, Poultry, Pork Bridge Ingredients: Oranges, Tropical Fruit, Curry, Ginger, Cinnamon, Clove, Sweet Onions, Soy Sauce, Honey Cheeses: Jalapeño Jack, Smoked Gouda, Smoked Mozzarella.

However, I’d like to add….I’m thinking it would pair great with smoked turkey, dressing and even sweet potatoes.

The site has some pretty nice looking recipes too...with wine suggestions:
http://www.fetzer.com/all_recipes.aspx
spryte
Pro Chef

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2009 7:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Name: Fetzer

Region: Valley Oaks, California

Price: $7.99 (on sale)

PHOTO of bottle:

"It’s often called gavurtz because it’s hard to say, and even harder to spell. This wine, though, is a secret weapon, great for taming spicy foods or sipping on its own. Enjoy the honeyed apricot and peach flavors in the glass, and breathe deeply to capture the aromas of rose petals and honeysuckle. Lots of people love this wine, even if they’ll never spell it. Just ask for gavurtz. We’ll know what you mean."

Review:
very clear yellow color
the cork smelled spicy... smells like wine...

Me ~ sweet, no squinchy face... not too sweet... Tandoori Chicken made the wine spicer... and it was sweeter after Sweet Coconut Curry Rice... burps fruity... kinda thick viscosity

Jon ~ sweet... goes well with Tandoori... burped peachy

(yeah... we're wicked classy)

Erin ~ smells winey... pretty good actually... peachy... fizziless champagne

Andrew ~ appley... same after... no aftertaste... would be nice used as liquid for fruit cocktail

Would you buy again?: Yes... I actually liked it one!

Wine Pairing Ideas/Recipes: It went very well with Spicy Curried Potato Pockets, Tandoori Chicken and Sweet Coconut Curry Rice.

Name: Chateau Ste. Michelle

Region: Columbia Valley, Washington

Price: $10.99

PHOTO of bottle:

The magical combination of sun soil and water - the "terroir" of Washington state's world class growing region produces bright spicy Gewurztraminer grapes. A slow, cool fermentation preserves the wine's characteristic spice notes. Grapefruit and citrus flavors are lively on the palate in this refreshing medium-dry wine.

Review:
paler yellow than the Fetzer

Me ~ smells like wine... kinda squinchy face... sour sour apple... sweeter after Spicy Curried Potato Pocket.

Jon ~ smells like outside... sour-er... I don't mind sour... likes this one better... awful wine taste leftover... can taste grapefruit...

Erin ~ definitely wine... peachy... hitting the back of my mouth more... wants to suck on it, like hard candy... def taste grapefruit... loses sour after Spicy Curried Potato Pocket...

Andrew ~ more grape-y... like a snake-bite shooter... after burn like kerosene... 1st one was two sweet... this one is spicy like a peppercorn...

Would you buy again?: Probably not, not being a wine drinker... If I needed a Gewurztraminer... I'd choose the Fetzer.

Wine Pairing Ideas/Recipes: It went very well with Spicy Curried Potato Pockets, Tandoori Chicken and Sweet Coconut Curry Rice

So Erin & I like the Fetzer better and Jon & Andrew like the Chateau Ste Michelle.

And I enjoyed the Fezter... not merely tolerated it. =)

Spryte's Place Blog
spryte
Pro Chef

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2009 8:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yay!!! We tried the same one DD... I wonder what kind my mom is picking up. She plays along when we're in the same place. I'll be up there next week!

Spryte's Place Blog
ddpie
Elite BakeSpacer

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2009 8:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

spryte wrote:
Yay!!! We tried the same one DD... I wonder what kind my mom is picking up. She plays along when we're in the same place. I'll be up there next week!

hahahahahhaha, that second one you did? I almost got that one too!
BiscottiQueen
Executive Chef

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2009 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Man, my mom just picked me up 3 bottles of wine... I'll have to look to see if any of them are this to play along this month. If not, I may try to grab one you ladies haven't tried. I LOVE wine...

Just to let you know, I've played 2 month previously and TOTALLY forgot to post my reviews. But I had a good buzz and was trying to remember how I felt about them?! Laughing

http://fromseed.blogspot.com

Try some of my custom biscotti here:

http://biscottiqueen.etsy.com
Babette
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2009 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK.. I'm in! Smile I really need a glass of wine right now. Smile OK, need might be a stretch.
ImStuffed
Over 10,000 Posts Club

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2009 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Babette wrote:
OK, need might be a stretch.

then I must be stretch armstrong

My Recipes: http://bakespace.com/?imstuffed
My Food Blog: http://peacefulcooking.blogspot.com/
My Fun Blog: http://letsridethebus.blogspot.com/
My Twitter: http://twitter.com/imstuffed
jmgallo
Executive Chef

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2009 6:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, great minds think alike this time around huh?

I won't bother reposting all of the info from the seller, since DD already did that! As you can see though, I got mine at World Market for $8.99 Smile

Review:
Sadly, we didn't like this as much as DD did! To be fair, my husband and I both drank more than our fair share of Gewurztraminer in Germany, and we aren't big on sweet wines anyhow. That makes us more than a bit biased. Add that to the fact that we drank this wine while eating dessert and it was sugar overload! While this was a bit crisp, it was just a little too fruity for me. I think it would be very good in a white sangria, though!

Would you buy again:
Ehh, probably not.

Wine pairings:
Best bet, I'd serve this with a really spicy Thai or Indian meal. I think it would cut the heat really well, as the bottle implies! Also, like I said a summer spritzer or white sangria would be good!

Note to self:
Stop buying wine because of cute names and bottles Smile
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Jojobean-Designs/123158681086848
Kitchen: http://bakespace.com/?jmgallo
ddpie
Elite BakeSpacer

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2009 7:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LOL Jo! I'd never even seen this wine until I was looking specifically for gerwurztraminer.

I love when we end up with the same one, I like hearing mixed reviews and different opinions!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BakeSpace.com Member Forums Forum Index -> Monthly Wine Chat All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5

Jump to: