Where to eat in Vegas: Here’s Your Sin City Foodie Survival Guide
BakeSpace.com is heading to Las Vegas for the annual geek pilgrimage known as CES (Consumer Electronics Show). While we’re excited to check out all the new technology, we can’t wait to sample some of the great food that makes Las Vegas a destination for foodies.
For the past two years we’ve published our “Foodie Survival Guide to Vegas” to list our favorite restaurant and bar picks thanks to our food blogger friends who live in Vegas. We’ve also feasted our way through the Bellagio, MGM, Luxor and several other culinary havens, and realized that our guide needed to be updated.
This year’s updated guide (see below) along with our brief pocket guide (download here – “Your Sin City Foodie Survival Guide“) should definitely come in handy when you’re walking around Vegas dazed from all the technology and hungry as hell.
In the spirit of BakeSpace.com’s grassroots community, please feel free to add suggestions (simply post a comment) to let us know your picks for where go, what to order, and why.
Download the pocket version:
If you’re going to #CES, the twitter hasthag for good food is #CESfood. Use it to let others know where to eat. If you’re heading out to one of the restaurants below, “get social” and send them a tweet before you arrive (you never know how they might reciprocate).
MUST TRY – SHORT LIST:
(if you don’t have much time and want to hit the best spots)
- CLASSIC BREAKFAST #1: HASH HOUSE A GO GO (There’s one in Imperial Palace or you can head out to the original at 6800 W Sarhara – open daily from 7:00am-11:0pm / Fri & Sat 7:00am-2:00am) – Order any hash or scramble.
- CLASSIC BREAKFAST #2: THE PEPPERMILL (there is parking in front and it is really, really bizarre, but with the peak. – open daily 24 hours!
- PANCAKES: Try Henry’s (Cosmopolitan_lv): Kari from @Retrobakery swears by them!
- COCKTAILS: NOBHILL TAVERN (MGM @NobhillTavernLV) - Order a “Cable Car” — it will definitely transport you to a happy place. If you try this, please tweet us a photo @BakeSpace so we can live vicariously through you!
- DINNER: FIAMMA (MGM @fiammalv) - By far the best Lobster Gnocchi we have ever had (you can get it vegetarian too).
- LATE NIGHT BAR: AN EXPERIENCE: FIRESIDE BAR AT THE PEPPERMILL - They shot scenes from the movie Casino here, and the bar’s neon, sunken booths and fire pits are from another era (perhaps another planet). The place is between the Stardust and the Riviera and there is parking in front. To get to the bar, walk straight back through the restaurant area – towards the bathrooms. We have heard that local Vegas talent like Penn & Teller frequent this spot. This is a perfect place to plan a tweetup techies! Just call beforehand to make sure the bar isn’t closed to a private party (it’s that cool).
THE LONG LIST:
- OFF THE STRIP – HASH HOUSE A GO-GO (6800 W Sarhara – open daily from 7:30am-2:30pm) – Order any hash or scramble (coffee also good). You can also go to the IMPERIAL PALACE LOCATION TOO! It’s just nice to sometimes get off the strip.
- BUFFET: We love the WYNN (@wynnlasvegas) – Get the Fluffy French Toast. THE COSMOPOLITAN (@cosmopolitan_LV) has the Wicked Spoon Buffet – sounds awesome… let us know if you check it out.
- LATE RISERS (BRUNCH): MESA GRILL (Caesars @CaesarsPalace) – You’ll love the blueberry coffee cake (YUM!). If you’re still in town on Sunday. SIMON (Palms) has a great Rock & Roll Brunch – we hear that PJs are allowed. Try the Double Dip Roast Top Round on Grilled Baguette or the Cotton Candy & Chocolate Chip Cookies.
- ROOM SERVICE: WYNN (@wynnlasvegas) – Order the Eggs Benedict.
- BREAKFAST 24/7: THE PEPPERMILL – Terrific breakfast! The place is between the Stardust and the Riviera and there is parking in front. Seriously, this place is great for people watching.
- CLASSIC & CHEAP: DU-PAR’S (Golden Gate Hotel on Fremont St.) – Cheap diner goodness.
- TRANSPORT TO PARIS: PAYARD PATISSERIE AND BISTRO (Caesars @CaesarsPalace) – Classic French bistro breakfast. Or try BOUCHON (Venetian @venetianvegas) – Order the Chicken & Waffles, but don’t be fooled by the recipe… this is a very classy joint.
- FOR THE EXPERIENCE: JASMINE (Bellagio) – Sunday Fountains Brunch for the ultimate decadent brunch buffet. Their Sommelier’s are Sara and Nico (they can help you find the perfect glass to celebrate your company’s coverage in Mashable/Techcrunch, ect. the food is a traditional Hong Kong Cantonese as well as regional contemporary interpretations.
- SANDWICHES & BURGERS: CAPRIOTTI’S SANDWICH SHOP (@capriottis) – They have a few locations so just put their name in your location app for an address. They have an extensive vegetarian selection. STRIP BURGER (@stripburger) – Blue Cheese Burger w/Bacon. BLT BURGER (Mirage @bltburgerlv) - Turkey Burger & Spiked Shakes
- EXOTIC FUSION: CHINA POBLANO (The Cosmopolitan @cosmopolitan_LV) – Restaurant by Chef José Andrés that’s Chinese – Mexican Fusion. You read right.. Chinese – Mexican combination restaurant. It’s a fun place, not too pricey. The only downfall is that it’s right by a nightclub so the line around the place is outrageously ridiculous.
- MIDDAY HAPPY HOUR: SERENDIPITY 3 (Caesars @CaesarsPalace) - Happy Hour is Mon-Fri 2-6pm – (Select Draft Beers $2) try the Tropical Tuna Tacos, Kobe Sliders, All-In Nachos, Happy Hour Classic Sunday. Food can be a bit pricey.
- ITALIAN: FIAMMA (MGM @fiammalv) – If you like Italian food there’s no better place in town than Fiamma. Order the Lobster Gnocchi (you can also ask for it without lobster – it’s still that good!) It is by far the best Gnocchi we have ever had. Tell the General Manager Luigi we sent you!
- FUSION: YELLOWTAIL (Bellagio @lightgroup) – Tell Chef Akira that Babette from BakeSpace sent you. This place isn’t cheap, but the food, sake and service is epic. Seriously, some of the most pleasant waiters we’ve ever met. If you have a very large group (more than 20) ask for the private table facing the fountain.
- LOCAL FAVORITE: NORA’S ITALIAN CUISINE: – Order Baked Ziti or Frutti de Mare (off The Strip). Address is 6020 W Flamingo Rd.
- ROMANTIC: MON AMI GABI (Paris Hotel @monamigabilv) A classic French Bistro – open daily until 11pm.
- BUSINESS/IMPRESS: FLEUR DE LYS by Chef Herbert Keller (Mandalay Bay @mandalaybay_LV): If you can afford it. THe plates are small (think tapas). They just remodeled so let us know what you think of the decor. Try the Brownie Lollipops! Also, we’ve really enjoyed THECOUNTRY CLUB (Wynn @wynnlasvegas). They have a Sunday brunch with Jazz that looks fun. Lunch is served until 2:30pm only and it’s “casual business attire” so this is where you go if you want to impress. I repeat, do not go in there with sneakers.
- PEOPLE WATCHING: CRAFTSTEAK by Chef Tom Colicchio (MGM @craftsteaklv): Order the Braised Beef Shortribs and Potato Puree… do it! (You have to tell the Host that you want to sit at the table for people watching.. it’s a special table and we can’t remember the table #, but they will know what you’re talking about.)
- CASUAL: CAPRIOTTI’S SANDWICH SHOP (@capriottis) – They have a few locations so just put the name in your location app for an address. They have an extensive vegetarian selection.
- A SHOW: L’ATELIER (MGM) by Chef Joel Robuchon- Where your tapas are prepared right before your eyes.
- SEMI VEGETARIAN + GREAT COCKTAILS: SAGE (Aria) Chef Shawn McClain combines farm-to-table produce, sustainable searfood and artisinal meats for simple and clean recipes - Appetizers, vegetarian menu and cocktails.
- INDIAN: ORIGINAL INDIA (Paradise Rd. across from Hard Rock Hotel) – This is the best Indian restaurant in town. Located at 4480 Paradise Road, Las Vegas.
- LIFE CHANGING: NOBHILL TAVERN (MGM @NobhillTavernLV) – Order a Cable Car & you will never go to Vegas again without stopping by for a drink.
- HOMEBREWED SAKI & BEERS: SHIBUYA (MGM @shibuyalv) – Tell General Manager Dieter Xiao that Babette from BakeSpace sent you!
- SCOTCH: I’m a HUGE scotch fan, so when I learned that CRAFTSTEAK (MGM @craftsteaklv) has 217 varieties of scotch & bourbon I just about dropped my jaw. Their wine selection is also terrific!
- FRESH FRUIT COCKTAILS: BESO (City Center) – We’ve only had their fresh fruit drinks so we can’t vouch for the food. Try it for happy hour. We’ve heard mixed reviews on the food, but the cocktails were delish!
- COZY NOOK: TENDER (Luxor) - They have a balcony that overlooks the casino with comfy leather chairs for cocktails and an impromptu meetup.
- MAKE AN IMPRESSION: PARASOL (Wynn @wynnlasvegas) - Order the Asian Equation Cocktail.
- WEIRD: DOUBLE DOWN SALOON (@doubledownlv on Paradise) – Try the “Ass Juice Cocktail” (yes, it’s real). This is the birthplace of the “BACON MARTINI.” Happy Hour Mon-Fri (noon to 5pm) $2 Drinks – all beer, top shelf, etc.
- ALL YOU CAN DRINK: BATTISTA’S HOLE IN THE WALL - There are very few places where you can drink for practically nothing, but Battista’s Hole in the Wall is one of them. The place has mixed reviews – try it if you want to see “old Vegas.” Order house wine with dinner & you get free refills.
Happy Hour Cheat Sheet: (please check venue to confirm deals as they may have changed or they have new discounts)
- 2 for 1 draft beers from 3pm-7pm Daily at FIRST FOOD AND BAR (Palazzo)
- $3 Budweisers from 5pm-8pm Daily at WEST WING BAR (MGM)
- 50% off all drinks and pizzas from 3pm-7pm and 12am-4am at SIERRA GOLD (Multiple Locations)
- $4 draft beer with $1 oysters, $1 shrimp and ½ off the signature lobster corn dog and salt & pepper calamari appetizers from 5:30pm – 7pm Sun – Fri. at SEABLUE BY MICHAEL MINA (MGM @seabluelv)
- $5 draft beers from 4pm – 5:30pm Sun-Thurs at DIEGO (MGM)
- Save 25% on drinks from 5pm-7pm Sun-Thurs at TENDER (Luxor)
- $4 beers – 10pm – 12am Daily at NOBHILL TAVERN (MGM @NobhillTavernLV)
- 2 for 1 Patron Tequila and Stoli Vodka Drinks from 3pm-7pm Daily at FIRST FOOD (Palazzo – @FirstFoodandBar)
- $3 Skyy Vodka Cocktails from 5pm-8pm Daily at WEST WING BAR (MGM)
- $7 sangria from 4pm – 5:30pm Sun-Thurs at DIEGO (MGM)
- $8 specialty cocktails from 10pm-12am daily at NOBHILL TAVERN (MGM @NobhillTavernLV)
- $2 Drinks (all beer, top shelf, etc.) Mon-Fri (noon to 5pm) - at DOUBLE DOWN SALOON (@doubledownlv Off Strip on Paradise)
- BINIONS’ CAFE (@BinionsLV): Burgers & Bean Soup w/Cornbread 24/7
- PEPPERMILL FIRESIDE: Order a Scorpion & breakfast 24/7 – celebrity central. The place is between the Stardust and the Riviera and there is parking in front.
- THE OMELET HOUSE – We heard from @TheStripPodcast that the original Omelet House at Charleston/Rancho is “totally worth it for the hot pumpkin bread.” Thanks for the tip!
- BATTISTA’S HOLE IN THE WALL: Bacon wrapped turkey & lamb drizzled w/ balsamic vinegar, but again… the place is called “Hole in the wall.”
- BREAKFAST 24/7: FIRESIDE BAR AT THE PEPPERMILL: Awesome.
- HOT WINGS: HOOTERS (@HootersCasinoLV)- 25 cent hot wings after 1am
- GIRLS & HANGOVER FOOD: THE HARD ROCK (@hardrockhotellv)
- CROWD PLEASER: FIRST FOOD (Palazzo @FirstFoodandBar) – Mojito Lamb Chops to Tortilla Soup
- WOOD FIRE PIZZA: STRATTA (Wynn @wynnlasvegas)
- CUPCAKES: RETRO BAKERY (@retrobakery) – You must try the Butterscotch Cupcakes (Tweet the owner Kari @retrobakery and ask if she’ll deliver).
- ICE CREAM: SERENDIPITY 3 (Caesars @ CaesarsPalace) – $9 Frozen Hot Chocolate. Also try ENOTECA SAN MARCO (Venetian) for Gelato.
- MINI DONUTS (Photo above): NOBHILL (MGM @NobhillTavernLV) – The mini donuts are to die for.
- DESSERT: FIREFLY TAPAS KITCHEN – Banana-Nutella Sandwiches.
- CHOCOLATE: FRANCOIS PAYARD CHOCOLATIER (Caesars @francoispayard) - Truffles.
- PASTRIES & COFFEE: JEAN-PHILIPPE MAURY PATISSERIE (Bellagio @bellagiolv) - You’ve got to check out their mini cakes.
Off the Strip
- GET DIRTY: ELLIS ISLAND BBQ – Order the Ribs and $2 beer.
- BREAKFAST: HASH HOUSE A GO GO – Order Any hash or scramble (coffee also good).
- LOW CARB BREAKFAST: JAMMS RESTAURANT (closes at 3 pm)
- INTERNATIONAL: RAKU (Japanese), LOTUS OF SIAM (Awesome Thai lunch until 2 pm), NAMASTE INDIAN CUISINE (Great buffet under $10, but ends at 3 pm)
Eating at the Conference? From CES’ official site –
Look for a variety Grab-N-Go kiosks located throughout the show floor. These food stations feature pre-made lunches, snacks and beverages. At the LVCC, you can also grab lunch at Banners Restaurant, located in the North Hall Lobby or IFM, located in the South Hall lobby. You can also find great options and restaurants at the LV Hilton and Renaissance Hotel. At The Venetian, you can grab a quick lunch at the food court located on the Casino Level or at the food court located on the Grand Canal Shoppes Level (next to the entrance to the parking garage). There are also many restaurants throughout the Venetian where you can have lunch or dinner.
Download the pocket version: “Your Sin City Foodie Survival Guide“
Need to reach a hotel rep? Try Twitter:
The Cosmopolitan: @cosmopolitan_LV
Planet Hollywood: @phvegas
The Hard Rock Hotel: @hardrockhotellv
Wynn Las Vegas: @wynnlasvegas
The Palms Las Vegas: @palmsvegas
The Venetian: @venetianvegas
Caesars Palace: @CaesarsPalace
Trump Las Vegas: @trumplasvegas
Tropicana Las Vegas: @troplv
The Palazzo – @palazzolasvegas
The Mirage – @themiragelv
Monte Carlo – @MonteCarloLV
Four Season’s Las Vegas: @FSLasVegas
Mandalay Bay: @mandalaybay_LV
Paris Las Vegas: @ParisVegas
Harrah’s Las Vegas: @HarrahsVegas
Treasure Island: @TIvegas
Aria: Aria Official Site
Golden Nugget: @GoldenNuggetLV
Imperial Palace: @ImperialPalace
If you’re a hotel rep & we missed your twitter handle, please feel free to leave it in the comments and we’ll add it to the list. If you think we missed a key location in Vegas, send us an invite to come check your place. You can reach us at @BakeSpace or via e-mail at admin at bakespace dot com.
Special thanks for helping us compile our list:
Mike Dobranski from TastingLasVegas.com. If you aren’t following Mike while you’re in Las Vegas, you’re missing out on the most tapped-in Vegas foodie we know. At least seven of our suggestions came from Mike. Follow him @tastinglasvegas for terrific tips and Vegas finds.
Tara Newman from MGM Grand. Thank you for introducing us to the Cable Car! Life changing.
Manya Susoev from The Light Group. Thank you for the most magical dinner overlooking the fountains at YellowTail. I don’t know how your staff did it, but we fit 60 people around one table and the sake never stopped.
Krystal Steininger from Luxor. Thank you for our private tasting at Tender. Your chef and staff went far beyond the call of duty.
To all our friends, fans and members who helped us put together this list… thank you!
@cmpartygirl, @wordymouth, @inhabitdesigns, @bellyitch, @joscarson, @katmanalac, @fearlessbean, @shetakesthecake, @datatv, @RetroBakery, @Cheap_eats, @MrsWheelbarrow, @requinn, @darlakrusee, @keeponrunnin, @fieldsofcake, @MiaCucina. @dinnerwithdavid, @KatManalac, @wrapstar, @christine426, @alanajoy, @ddh77, @abbiebassett, @mrtraincom, @courmetfury, @startupdotcom, @wynnlasvegas, @thestrippodcast, @cirena, @robmader, C.McAllister, C. Godinez, H. Hilton, J. Martin, D. Mendoza, M. Milliren, G. Witham & J. Conlin.