Grilled Veggie Hummus Wrap: Top Three Tips for Grilling Veggies on the Grill
Firing up the grill is a summer perennial, but it doesn’t always have to mean juicy steaks and beefy burgers. Summer is rich with fresh and seasonal vegetables, and throwing them on the is the perfect, easy way to bring out their best and boldest flavors.
Grilled veggies are also incredibly versatile, from playing side dish to your favorite carnivorous mainstays, or serving as the centerpiece in a great, light summer sandwich like the Grilled Veggie Hummus Wrap below. But before you get grilling, here are three tips to remember.
1. Pick veggies like your steaks: hearty
The grill doesn’t do delicate very well, so stick to fresh veggies that have some proverbial meat to them. Zucchini, summer squash, red peppers, and corn are all great picks, as they hold up well under heat and can be chopped into thick pieces or left whole. It’s important that your veggies are cut to the same size so they cook evenly, too. Need to go smaller? Don’t forget the skewer!
2. Season, but keep it simple
Grilling brings out the best fresh, natural flavors of just-picked vegetables, so keep your seasoning simple. Often, a little olive oil and salt and pepper are all you need! Marinades are another easy option, too, but be wary of how easily porous vegetables like zucchini will soak up that flavor.
3. Keep an eye out
Many vegetables don’t take long to cook up, so make sure you keep an eye on them. Remember: vegetables, like meat, will continue to cook even after you take them off of the heat, so aim for a little more undone than over. No one likes a mushy veggie!
- Cooking Time: 10
- Servings: 2
- Preparation Time: 10
- 1 medium zucchini, cut in half lengthwise.
- 1 medium yellow squash, cut in half lengthwise
- 1 medium red bell pepper
- 1 medium green bell pepper
- Salt and black pepper
- Olive oil
- 1/2 cup shredded fresh spinach leaves
- 2 8-inch herbed or spinach flavored wraps
- 2 tbsp. Sabra Roasted Garlic Hummus
- Drizzle squash and peppers with olive oil and season with salt and pepper.
- Grill, turning frequently until outer skins of peppers are charred and squash is almost cooked through. Remove from grill and allow to cool.
- Spread each wrap with 2 heaping tbsp. of Sabra Roasted Garlic Hummus. Sprinkle evenly with chopped spinach leaves.
- Peel roasted peppers and remove stem and seeds. Slice into thin strips and set aside. Slice squash thinly on the diagonal.Divide grilled vegetables in half and arrange over Sabra Hummus and spinach in center of wraps.
- Roll one end in and tuck both sides while rolling. Squeeze as you roll to keep shape. Secure with toothpicks and slice in half on the diagonal.