- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
BackstoryThis dish is rated Pareve and can be eaten with meat or milk meals.
Episode Summary :
On our first episode Bubbe gives her secret to her famous Jelly Jammies. Does she use grape or cherry?
The show starts out with Avrom introducing the show with the 3 magic words "Feed Me Bubbe."
After some music Bubbe explains today's episode.
Today she is going to prepare her grandchildren's favorite snack. It is very easy to prepare.
Her mother used to make strudel which took a lot of time and energy and a lot of experience. But who has time today for all of that. This is how Bubbe's Famous Jelly Jammies were created.
If you don't want to call it Jelly Jammies you can always call it easy fruit squares.
The recipe and procedure is available here.
The Yiddish word of today is BUBBE which means GRANDMOTHER.
- Non-stick aluminum foil
- 9 by 9 pan
- Large grater
- Sandwich bag
- Stirring spoon
- 1 1/2 cups sifted flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 cup margarine (stick)
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 3/4 cup strawberry jam
- 1 medium apple, peeled and grated (coarse)
- 4 teaspoons lemon juice and rind
- 4 teaspoons of chopped walnuts
- 1/8 teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 tablespoons golden raisins (or dark)
- 1/2 lemon rind, grated fine
- Turn pan over, take aluminum foil and place it over the 9 by 9 pan and fold in the corners
- Flip the pan over and place aluminum foil into the pan. This helps make it easy to place in and throw away keeping a clean pan.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Take walnuts and place in a sandwich bag. Crush with a can.
- Mix ingredients for filling in bowl, set aside.
- Sift together, flour, salt, and baking powder.
- Beat Margarine, sugar, egg, and vanilla together until creamery.
- Add flour mixture until blended
- Don't over beat
- Press 2/3 of the dough evenly in bottom of greased 9 by 9 by 2 inch baking pan.
- Spread filling over dough.
- Flatten pieces of remaining dough and place pieces over filling (does not have to be completely covered)
- Bake at 400 degrees for 25 minutes.
- Cut into squares when slightly warm.
- The recipe should make about 16 squares and freezes well.
- Recipe can be doubled for a 9-by-13 inch pan.