- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
- Large Frying Pan with cover
- 1 lb. lean ground beef
- 1 cup soft bread crumbs
- 1 egg slightly beaten
- 2 tblsp chopped onion
- 2 tblsp water
- 1 clove garlic chopped
- Dash of pepper
- 1 tblsp vegetable oil
- 2/3 cup chilli sauce
- 2/3 cup grape jelly
- Mix ground beef, bread crumbs, egg, onion, water, garlic, and pepper together.
- Form by hand 20 to 25 meat balls.
- Place the oil in a warmed large frying pan.
- Brown the meatballs lightly in the oil.
- Place cover on pan and cook over low heat for 5 minutes.
- Remove meatballs and drain the excess fat from the pan.
- Combine chilli sauce and grape jelly into the pan on medium high and stir until it melts
- Simmer for 10 to 12 minutes until sauce thickens.
- Once the sauce is smooth place meatballs back in the pan and baste sauce over the meatballs.
- Here are three ways to serve the final dish.
- Place sauce over the brown rice, followed by the meatballs.
- Take sub bread open up and hollow out some of the middle of the bread. Drizzile sauce into the middle followed by the meatballs.
- Put toothpicks in meatballs.
NotesThis dish is rated Fleishig and can be eaten with meat meals.
Episode Summary :
Today Bubbe shows you her way to make meat balls.
The yiddish word of the day goes out of control.
So much happening on this episode.
Before we start thank you to everyone that have worked with us so far.
Moving on to the episode...
This week the music has more of an italian feel to it.
When Bubbe was growing up there was no food processors, clean hands, or even a blender. All they had back then was a plain wooden smooth bowl and a chopper called a hackmesser.
On this episode Bubbe wants to show you how they used to do it so she is going to demonstrate the old fashion way.
In it she takes a pound of lean hamburg and plops it into the wooden bowl. After adding other ingredients she begins chopping away. Get the recipe here.
Bubbe rolls up all of the meat together into 20 balls of meat. These eventually end up in a pan.
So now it is time for the yiddish word of the day. Today it goes out of control. The word starts out being fleishig meaning meat. All of a sudden Bubbe starts talking about kneidlach meaning balls. Before we know it we are talking about milchig meaning milk and finally Parave which is neither milk or meat.
We still need advertisers so if you think you are the one email us firstname.lastname@example.org. It is also our pleasure to announce that we now have black t-shirts available located in our store.
Meatballs go out of the pan and sauce mixture gets made. The meatballs go back in and get covered.
Finally 3 separate dishes become created one with toothpicks, one made into a sub sandwich, and then there is brown rice with meatballs.
But when all is said and done. After the credits are all said and done a final surprise. Our friend Cali from GeekBrief provided us with an amusing clip from her show where she sings Hava-Nagilah. Visit her site at http://www.geekbrief.tv.
Visit our contact page to learn all the ways to contact us.