- Cooking Time: 75-80
- Servings: 6-8
- Preparation Time: 10
- - 3 lbs of stewing beef, cut in bite-size pieces
- - 3 tablespoons of oil
- - 2 spring onions, sliced
- - 2 star anises
- - 2 tbsp of soy sauce
- - 1 tbsp of sweet beanpaste
- - 2 tbsp of sugar
- - 1 tsp of corn starch
- - 2 tbsp of tomatopaste
- - 5 cups of water
- - 2 cups of carrot chunks
- 1 Blanch the meat shortly in cooking water and drain
- 2 Heat 3 tablespoons of oil and fry the spring onions with the star anises until fragrant
- 3 Ad the pieces of beef and stirfry them until coated with the oil
- 4 Mix soy sauce, sweet beanpaste, sugar, corn starch and tomatopaste and add to the beef
- 5 Add the the water, bring it to the boil and simmer softly and uncovered for 40 minutes
- 6 Then added some big chunks of carrot and simmer for another 25 minutes till the liquid is reduced close to having the consistancy of a sauce.
- 7 Garnish with chopped cilanthro
NotesThis recipe comes from a cooking book called 色香味食谱 ：林美慧 家常菜 [Sexiang weishi : Lin Meihui jiachang cai] / 林美慧 [Lin Meihui] = Savory aesthetics : home-style easy Chinese cooking / Lin Mei-hui. Taibei: Culture & Life Publishing Company, 1998.
I love to use this book, because it has a lot of soups in it and because it proves that not all Chinese dishes are complicated.
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
TECHmunch Austin 2013 Food Blogger Community Cookbook
The Real Deal Apple Recipes.
Rainbows Of Vegan LoveSee More
Edamame and Radish Slaw
Lisa Lovegood's Butterbeer Cake
Rustic Whole Wheat Garlic & Herb PizzaSee More