- Cooking Time: 75-80
- Servings: 6-8
- Preparation Time: 10
BackstoryThis recipe comes from a cooking book called 色香味食谱 ：林美慧 家常菜 [Sexiang weishi : Lin Meihui jiachang cai] / 林美慧 [Lin Meihui] = Savory aesthetics : home-style easy Chinese cooking / Lin Mei-hui. Taibei: Culture & Life Publishing Company, 1998.
I love to use this book, because it has a lot of soups in it and because it proves that not all Chinese dishes are complicated.
- - 3 lbs of stewing beef, cut in bite-size pieces
- - 3 tablespoons of oil
- - 2 spring onions, sliced
- - 2 star anises
- - 2 tbsp of soy sauce
- - 1 tbsp of sweet beanpaste
- - 2 tbsp of sugar
- - 1 tsp of corn starch
- - 2 tbsp of tomatopaste
- - 5 cups of water
- - 2 cups of carrot chunks
- 1 Blanch the meat shortly in cooking water and drain
- 2 Heat 3 tablespoons of oil and fry the spring onions with the star anises until fragrant
- 3 Ad the pieces of beef and stirfry them until coated with the oil
- 4 Mix soy sauce, sweet beanpaste, sugar, corn starch and tomatopaste and add to the beef
- 5 Add the the water, bring it to the boil and simmer softly and uncovered for 40 minutes
- 6 Then added some big chunks of carrot and simmer for another 25 minutes till the liquid is reduced close to having the consistancy of a sauce.
- 7 Garnish with chopped cilanthro