- Cooking Time: 30
- Servings: 12
- Preparation Time: 20
- 2 sticks, unsalted butter at room temperature
- 6 eggs, room temperature
- 3 cups all purpose flour
- 1 TBSP baking powder
- 2 cups sugar
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 2 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1 cup whole milk
- 3 sticks unsalted butter at room temperature
- 2 cups confectioners sugar
- 12 oz semi sweet chocolate finely chopped
- candy for garnish
- Preheat your oven to 350°F.
- Place the rack in the middle of the oven.
- Spray two, 9 inch round cake pans with cooking spray.
- Line them with parchment paper, and then spray the parchment as well.
- Sift the flour, baking powder and salt together twice and set aside.
- In your electric mixer with the paddle attachment, mix the sugar and butter at medium speed until it is light and fluffy, about 5 minutes.
- Scrape down the bowl and paddle as needed.
- Add the eggs, one at a time, scraping down the bowl after each addition. Add in the vanilla.
- Beat on low speed while you alternate the milk and flour mix in 3 additions.
- Beat only until smooth.
- Divide into prepared pans.
- Bake for 30 minutes, rotate your pans halfway through.
- The cake is done when it lightly springs back when you touch the top with your finger.
- The cake should also pull away slightly from the sides of the pans.
- If necessary, bake longer, checking at 5 minute intervals.
- My cake was done at 30 minutes.
- Let the cakes cool for about 15 minutes before inverting onto a rack. Remove the pans and parchment.
- Allow to cool a couple of hours before frosting
- I made mine in the evening, wrapped them in plastic wrap and stored them on my counter until the next day.
- Melt the chocolate in a bowl set over a pan of simmering water.
- Allow to cool completely.
- With your electric mixer and the paddle attachment, beat the butter and sugar at medium speed until fluffy.
- Add the cooled, melted chocolate and beat for another minute or so, until smooth.
- Frost your cake!
NotesI can't wait for my birthday, so I am celebrating now with this delicious yellow cake and chocolate buttercream frosting!
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
The Lizz Delicious Cookbook Vol. 1
WorkingBug's Open House Cookbook
Shrimp Recipes That Bubba Would Love (inspired by the movie Forrest Gump)See More
Dark chocolate truffle tart with flax seeds
Khatta Meetha Karela
Roasted Butternut Squash SoupSee More