'I WISH IT WERE MY BIRTHDAY' CAKE
- Cooking Time: 30
- Servings: 12
- Preparation Time: 20
- 2 sticks, unsalted butter at room temperature
- 6 eggs, room temperature
- 3 cups all purpose flour
- 1 TBSP baking powder
- 2 cups sugar
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 2 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1 cup whole milk
- 3 sticks unsalted butter at room temperature
- 2 cups confectioners sugar
- 12 oz semi sweet chocolate finely chopped
- candy for garnish
- Preheat your oven to 350°F.
- Place the rack in the middle of the oven.
- Spray two, 9 inch round cake pans with cooking spray.
- Line them with parchment paper, and then spray the parchment as well.
- Sift the flour, baking powder and salt together twice and set aside.
- In your electric mixer with the paddle attachment, mix the sugar and butter at medium speed until it is light and fluffy, about 5 minutes.
- Scrape down the bowl and paddle as needed.
- Add the eggs, one at a time, scraping down the bowl after each addition. Add in the vanilla.
- Beat on low speed while you alternate the milk and flour mix in 3 additions.
- Beat only until smooth.
- Divide into prepared pans.
- Bake for 30 minutes, rotate your pans halfway through.
- The cake is done when it lightly springs back when you touch the top with your finger.
- The cake should also pull away slightly from the sides of the pans.
- If necessary, bake longer, checking at 5 minute intervals.
- My cake was done at 30 minutes.
- Let the cakes cool for about 15 minutes before inverting onto a rack. Remove the pans and parchment.
- Allow to cool a couple of hours before frosting
- I made mine in the evening, wrapped them in plastic wrap and stored them on my counter until the next day.
- Melt the chocolate in a bowl set over a pan of simmering water.
- Allow to cool completely.
- With your electric mixer and the paddle attachment, beat the butter and sugar at medium speed until fluffy.
- Add the cooled, melted chocolate and beat for another minute or so, until smooth.
- Frost your cake!
NotesI can't wait for my birthday, so I am celebrating now with this delicious yellow cake and chocolate buttercream frosting!
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Austin Personal Training Recipes
Quick Breads, Muffins and Cakes...Oh My!
Food Travels Through ItalySee More
Smitten Million Dollar Peanut Butter CookiesSee More