- Cooking Time:
- Servings: 9 scones
- Preparation Time:
- 2 c. flour
- 1/2 c. firmly packed light brown sugar
- 1/2 c. non-alkalized cocoa powder
- 2 tsp. baking powder
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 6 Tb. unsalted butter, chilled
- 1/2 c. milk'
- 1 large egg
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 2 bars (5 oz. each) fruit and nut milk chocolate, cut into 1/4" to 1/2" pieces
- Confectioners' sugar, for dusting tops of scones (optional)
- Preheat oven to 375ºF. Lightly butter a baking sheet.
- In large bowl stir together the flour, brown sugar, cocoa, baking powder and salt. Cut butter into 1/2" cubes and distribute over flour mixture. With pastry blender or two knives used scissors fashion, cut in butter 'til mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
- In small bowl stir together milk, egg and vanilla. Add milk mixture to flour mixture and stir to combine. Stir in chocolate chunks.
- Using a 1/3 c. measuring cup, drop dough onto prepared baking sheet, leaving about 3" between scones. Bake 16-18 min. or 'til cake tester or toothpick inserted in center of scone comes out clean.
- Remove baking sheet to wire rack and cool for 5 min. Using a spatula transfer scones to wire rack to cool. Serve warm or cool completely and store in airtight container. Dust with confectioners' sugar, if desired.
Notes"While these scones are reminiscent in appearance of a favorite childhood creation, one bite lets you know these scones speak chocolate loud and clear. Using milk chocolate bars containing fruit and nuts adds flavor complexity with a minimum amount of work. A glass of cold milk is the perfect accompaniment to these rich scones."
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Italy or Bust
Desperate Housewives: Juicy Dishes & Saucy Bites
Hemp Healthy Cooking: Hemp for BreakfastSee More
Pineapple-Black Bean Enchiladas
Mascarpone Brownies With Honey Chocolate Sauce
Chicken RollupsSee More