- Cooking Time:
- Servings: 9 scones
- Preparation Time:
Backstory"While these scones are reminiscent in appearance of a favorite childhood creation, one bite lets you know these scones speak chocolate loud and clear. Using milk chocolate bars containing fruit and nuts adds flavor complexity with a minimum amount of work. A glass of cold milk is the perfect accompaniment to these rich scones."
- 2 c. flour
- 1/2 c. firmly packed light brown sugar
- 1/2 c. non-alkalized cocoa powder
- 2 tsp. baking powder
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 6 Tb. unsalted butter, chilled
- 1/2 c. milk'
- 1 large egg
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 2 bars (5 oz. each) fruit and nut milk chocolate, cut into 1/4" to 1/2" pieces
- Confectioners' sugar, for dusting tops of scones (optional)
- Preheat oven to 375ºF. Lightly butter a baking sheet.
- In large bowl stir together the flour, brown sugar, cocoa, baking powder and salt. Cut butter into 1/2" cubes and distribute over flour mixture. With pastry blender or two knives used scissors fashion, cut in butter 'til mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
- In small bowl stir together milk, egg and vanilla. Add milk mixture to flour mixture and stir to combine. Stir in chocolate chunks.
- Using a 1/3 c. measuring cup, drop dough onto prepared baking sheet, leaving about 3" between scones. Bake 16-18 min. or 'til cake tester or toothpick inserted in center of scone comes out clean.
- Remove baking sheet to wire rack and cool for 5 min. Using a spatula transfer scones to wire rack to cool. Serve warm or cool completely and store in airtight container. Dust with confectioners' sugar, if desired.