RED VELVET CAKE
- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
- 1 cup Whole Milk
- 3 TB All Purpose Flour
- A pinch of Salt
- 1 cup unsalted Butter
- 1 cup Granulated Sugar
- 1 tsp Vanilla extract
- Whisk flour into milk and place over medium heat in a small sauce pan.
- Cook mixture until thickened, whisking constantly.
- Remove from heat and whisk in the Salt.
- Pout into a clean bowl and cover with plastic wrap on the surface. (This will stop the cooking and the plastic will prevent crusting)
- Set aside to cool slightly.
- In a stand mixer, begin creaming the butter and sugar until fluffy.
- Add vanilla extract and mix to combine.
- When milk mixture is slightly cooled; add 1 TB at a time to the creamed butter mixture while the mixer is running on medium speed.
- Slowly but surely the gluten will pull in the butter into a pseudo emulsion.
- You should have an extremely fluffy, light and buttery frosting when completed.
NotesThe Traditional frosting for Red Velvet cake, Ermine is also known as Boiled Milk or Butter Roux Frosting.
It has a boiled milk and flour base that is added to creamed butter and sugar. This gives you a rich but light taste with an ermine-like mouth feel, thus the name. Not quite a butter creme, but close. It's really quite a unique and delicious type of frosting, but does need to be refrigerated though as it does not stand up well to temps above 70 degrees.
I am sure this is part of the reason that it has been forsaken for the more modern Cream Cheese frosting (Which I LOVE on Carrot Cake). But I assure you, if you take the time to make this delicious frosting, you will NOT be disappointed.