- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
- 2 cups AP flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup solid vegetable shortneing
- 1 stick unsalted butter, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 4 egg whites
- 3/4 cup evaporated milk (from 12 oz can; save remainder for frosting)
- 1 teaspoon coconut extract
- 1/2 cup sweetened flaked coconut, chopped
- 6 (1 oz) squares unsweetened chocolate, broken up
- 3/4 cup evaporated milk (from above)
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon coconut extract
- 6 tablespoons butter, cut up
- Heat oven to 350 degrees.
- Line two standard cupcake pans with 14 foil or paper liners.
- CUPCAKES: In a medium-size bowl, whisk flour, baking powder and salt.
- In a large bowl, with an electric mixer, beat together shortening, butter and sugar until creamy.
- Add egg whites and beat until very light and foamy, about 3 minutes.
- Add half the flour mixture, followed by evaporated milk and then remaining flour mixture.
- Stir in coconut extract and coconut.
- Spoon a scant 1/3 cup batter into each cupcake liner.
- Bake for 25 to 27 minutes, or until lightly browned on top. Remove from pan, cool completely on a wire rack.
- FROSTING: Place chocolate in the bowl of a food processor. heat evaporated milk just until it simmers; pour over chocolate. Let sit 10 minutes, then pulse processor until smooth. Add sugar and extract. While processor is running, add butter gradually. Process until thickened to good piping consistency. If needed, refrigerate 5 minutes to firm
NotesThis is a recipe from Family Circle that sounds delicious.
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Cooking On The Weekends - For The Love of Food!
Mrs. Claus Cooks for Holiday Entertaining
KITCHEN CAUCUS Liberal HelpingsSee More
Easy Chocolate Tart
Black Bean And Corn QuesadillasSee More