- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
- For carne asada:
- 2 lbs flank steak or round steaks
- 1/3 cup freshly squeezed lime juice
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 2 tablespoons crushed red pepper flakes
- fresh ground black pepper, to taste
- 2 tablespoons finely ground Mexican oregano (optional)
- Quick Salsa:
- 4 plum tomatoes, chopped (Roma)
- 1 jalapeno pepper, chopped fine
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 2 green onions, white and green parts,chopped
- 6-8 sprigs cilantro, chopped
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- Garnishes for Tacos:
- 1/3 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- 1 cup lettuce, shredded
- 1 onion, sliced and grilled (optional)
- 4-6 green onions, chopped
- fresh lime wedges
- 12 corn tortillas or flour tortillas, warmed
- Marinate meat, then prepare garnish ingredients and salsa before grilling meat.
- Plan to have tortillas warmed as you are ready to serve meat.
- For Carne asada: Marinate the thin steaks in lime juice in a shallow glass dish.
- Let set for 1 minutes, then add garlic, crushed red chile, black pepper, and Mexican oregano (if desired).
- Marinate in refrigerator for at least 20 minutes, but longer is better.
- When grill is red hot, grill steaks on each side for 1-2 minutes.
- Meat is thin and cooks quickly.
- Sprinkle meat with coarse salt as it cooks.
- Let meat cool a couple of minutes, then cut into thin strips against the grain.
- Serve immediately with warmed tortillas, salsa and garnishes.
- Salsa: combine all ingredients and season to taste.
- You should have about 1 1/4 cups.
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Victory ala Mode: Recipes from the First Annual South Side Pie Challenge
Growers' Giveback PotluckSee More
Chinese Chicken Salad
Cheese Garlic Rolls
Mushroom GravySee More