CARNE ASADA TACOS
- For carne asada:
- 2 lbs flank steak or round steaks
- 1/3 cup freshly squeezed lime juice
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 2 tablespoons crushed red pepper flakes
- fresh ground black pepper, to taste
- 2 tablespoons finely ground Mexican oregano (optional)
- Quick Salsa:
- 4 plum tomatoes, chopped (Roma)
- 1 jalapeno pepper, chopped fine
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 2 green onions, white and green parts,chopped
- 6-8 sprigs cilantro, chopped
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- Garnishes for Tacos:
- 1/3 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- 1 cup lettuce, shredded
- 1 onion, sliced and grilled (optional)
- 4-6 green onions, chopped
- fresh lime wedges
- 12 corn tortillas or flour tortillas, warmed
Marinate meat, then prepare garnish ingredients and salsa before grilling meat.
Plan to have tortillas warmed as you are ready to serve meat.
For Carne asada: Marinate the thin steaks in lime juice in a shallow glass dish.
Let set for 1 minutes, then add garlic, crushed red chile, black pepper, and Mexican oregano (if desired).
Marinate in refrigerator for at least 20 minutes, but longer is better.
When grill is red hot, grill steaks on each side for 1-2 minutes.
Meat is thin and cooks quickly.
Sprinkle meat with coarse salt as it cooks.
Let meat cool a couple of minutes, then cut into thin strips against the grain.
Serve immediately with warmed tortillas, salsa and garnishes.
Salsa: combine all ingredients and season to taste.
You should have about 1 1/4 cups.