- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
- 6 eggs
- 1 1/4 cups sugar
- 3 1/2 cups flour
- 2 tsps. lemon juice
- 1 -2 tsps. vanilla
- 2 tsps. to 1 tablespoon of anise extract (depends on how much you like the flavor of anise)
- 4 tsps. baking powder
- 1 cup margarine, melted and cooled
- Beat eggs and sugar w/ an electric mixer until fluffy (this takes a few minutes and is an important step - don't rush this part).
- Stir in the melted margarine, lemon juice and extracts.
- Combine the flour and baking powder, stir in gradually.
- Dough will be VERY sticky.
- Preheat your pizzelle iron according to mfg. instructions.
- Drop batter by rounded spoonfuls onto the iron (it will take a couple of times before you figure out the right amount to put on the iron - just like a waffle iron, too much and it will seep out the sides, not enough and your pattern won't be filled in completely).
- Close the iron and cook for 60 to 90 seconds, again, you'll figure it out after the first couple cookies.
- You want them to be lightly golden brown - not brown enough, they won't be crisp enough, too brown, too crisp.
- Carefully remove and cool (I use my bamboo toaster tongs to remove them) on a flat surface.*
- When they are completely cool, dust them with confectionary sugar and keep in an airtight container at room temperature.
NotesThese are my favorite Holiday cookie to make. These are a traditional anise flavored 'cookie' made on a pizzelle iron and when they're done and sprinkled with conf. sugar, they look like a beautiful snowflake. If you're not a huge fan of anise (smells and tastes like black licorice) than do what I do and add less anise extract and more vanilla. While a true pizzelle is all anise, you can mix it up - I've even added a tsp. of orange juice and it's delicious.
*For a fun idea, you can drape them over a small cup while they're still hot and they'll cool in the shape of a bowl. You can then fill them with whatever.
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Short & Sweet
Happy Father's Day Day... Your Favorite Recipes
20+ Pumpkin Recipes!See More
STUFFAT TAL-QARNIT (Octopus Stew)
Frosted Apple Cinnamon Bars
BANANA WELLINGTONSSee More