- Cooking Time:
- Servings: 8
- Preparation Time:
- 1 Australian lamb leg, bone in
- 4 shallots, sliced
- 4 sprigs thyme
- 3/4 cup pure maple syrup
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- PEAR AND CRANBERRY CHUTNEY
- 2 spring onions, sliced
- 3 pears, peeled and diced
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup cranberries
- 1/2 cup cranberry juice
- 3 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 2 tablespoons coarsely grated orange zest
- SQUASH PUREE
- 2 pounds kabucha or butternut squash, peeled and diced
- 1/3 – 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg butter, optional
- freshly ground pepper, to taste
- Trim lamb of visible fat and cut 4 deep slashes down the flesh side.
- Divide shallots and thyme into the slashes.
- Combine maple syrup, lemon juice and balsamic vinegar.
- Brush half over the lamb and into the slashes.
- Reserve remaining mixture for basting.
- Allow flavors to infuse for 2-3 hours or overnight.
- To prepare the pear and cranberry chutney, combine all ingredients in large saucepan.
- Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer until mixture thickens, about 15-20 minutes.
- This can be prepared the day before and served warm or cold with the lamb.
- While bringing the lamb to room temperature, preheat oven to 350°F. Place lamb in a roasting pan and cook for 1 hour 45 minutes or until internal temperature reaches 130-135°F for medium rare.
- Baste with reserved marinade 3-4 times during cooking.
- Transfer to a warm dish, cover with foil and allow to stand 10-15 minutes before slicing.
- When lamb is nearly cooked, prepare the puree. Place diced squash in pan of cold, salted water.
- Bring to a boil and heat until tender.
- Drain and mash, season to taste with pepper, nutmeg, and (optional) butter.
- To serve, carve lamb and arrange on a warmed platter with chutney and puree.
- If desired, drizzle lamb with additional maple syrup and lemon juice.
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
The Best of Brock: Celebrating 85 Years of Cooking
KITCHEN CAUCUS Conservative Creations
I'm Making Cookies! with Douglas E. WelchSee More
Rich Chocolate Pecan Pie
Cheesy Stuffed Baked Ziti
GREEN BEAN CASSEROLESee More