- Cooking Time:
- Servings: 8
- Preparation Time:
- 1 Australian lamb leg, bone in
- 4 shallots, sliced
- 4 sprigs thyme
- 3/4 cup pure maple syrup
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- PEAR AND CRANBERRY CHUTNEY
- 2 spring onions, sliced
- 3 pears, peeled and diced
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup cranberries
- 1/2 cup cranberry juice
- 3 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 2 tablespoons coarsely grated orange zest
- SQUASH PUREE
- 2 pounds kabucha or butternut squash, peeled and diced
- 1/3 – 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg butter, optional
- freshly ground pepper, to taste
- Trim lamb of visible fat and cut 4 deep slashes down the flesh side.
- Divide shallots and thyme into the slashes.
- Combine maple syrup, lemon juice and balsamic vinegar.
- Brush half over the lamb and into the slashes.
- Reserve remaining mixture for basting.
- Allow flavors to infuse for 2-3 hours or overnight.
- To prepare the pear and cranberry chutney, combine all ingredients in large saucepan.
- Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer until mixture thickens, about 15-20 minutes.
- This can be prepared the day before and served warm or cold with the lamb.
- While bringing the lamb to room temperature, preheat oven to 350°F. Place lamb in a roasting pan and cook for 1 hour 45 minutes or until internal temperature reaches 130-135°F for medium rare.
- Baste with reserved marinade 3-4 times during cooking.
- Transfer to a warm dish, cover with foil and allow to stand 10-15 minutes before slicing.
- When lamb is nearly cooked, prepare the puree. Place diced squash in pan of cold, salted water.
- Bring to a boil and heat until tender.
- Drain and mash, season to taste with pepper, nutmeg, and (optional) butter.
- To serve, carve lamb and arrange on a warmed platter with chutney and puree.
- If desired, drizzle lamb with additional maple syrup and lemon juice.
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
'CHEF' the Film Cookbook: Recipes from El Jefe
St.George YMCA-YWCA Before and After School Cookbook
Mr. Ham's Sweet Brown and Red Barbecue Sauce and Other Awesome RecipesSee More
Super Easy Chicken and Pepper Mexican Spiced Rice Stir Fry
How To Make Caramelized Onions
Salted Nut SquaresSee More