- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
- 2 cups mixed dried beans (including black-eyed peas)
- 2 tablespoons salt
- 1-1/2 cups bite-size pieces lean baked ham (about 1/2 pound) or 1-pound meaty ham bone or ham hock
- 2 large onions, sliced
- 2 cups chopped celery
- 1 can (28 ounces) tomatoes, chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- salt and pepper to taste
- Wash the beans. Cover with water; add 2 tablespoons salt. Soak overnight.
- The next day, drain the beans and combine with 2 quarts water in a large saucepan or stockpot. Add the ham and boil for 1-1/2 to 3 hours, or until the beans are fully cooked and tender. Add the onions, celery, tomatoes, red pepper, and salt and pepper to taste. Simmer for at least 30 minutes, until the vegetables are cooked. Serve hot.
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Get Fit With Good Food!
Gluten-Free - Making do with what you got!
I'm Making Cookies! with Douglas E. WelchSee More
Easy Chocolate Tart
Black Bean And Corn QuesadillasSee More