- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
- 1 pound (480 g) top sirloin, coarsely ground
- 1 medium white onion, 6 ounces (180 g), chopped
- 1 large clove garlic, minced
- 1 medium red bell pepper, 6 ounces (180 g),
- seeded and chopped
- 3 tablespoons (45 ml) good-quality chili powder
- 1/2 tablespoon (7.5 ml) ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon (5 ml) crushed dried oregano
- 1 14 1/2-ounce (435 g) no salt added crushed tomatoes
- 1/2 cup (120 ml) low-sodium canned beef broth
- 1/2 cup (115 g) plain nonfat yogurt
- 2 tablespoons (30 ml) minced fresh cilantro
- 1 teaspoon (5 ml) good-quality chili powder
- 1/8 teaspoon (0.6 ml) cayenne pepper
- Put the ground sirloin in a Dutch oven or large saucepan over medium heat. Cook, stirring, until beef is no longer pink. Drain off any fat or juices.
- Measure 2 tablespoons of the onion; set aside. Put remaining onion, garlic, and bell pepper into the pot and cook, stirring, for 5 minutes. Stir in chili powder, cumin, oregano, tomatoes with their liquid, and beef broth.
- Lower heat to simmer and cook, covered, until meat and vegetables are tender, about 35 to 45 minutes.
- Meanwhile, finely mince the reserved onion. Place in a small bowl and stir in remaining topping ingredients. Set aside.
- When chili is done, ladle into bowl and offer topping to spoon onto each serving.
The Help Cookbook: Food and Friendship
Gluten Free Baking With KitchenAid: 33 Bloggers Share GF Treats!
ES Diversity - Creating Connections through Food Volume 1 Mains and AppetisersSee More
Mushroom & Nut Pate
Chuck's Pumpkin Cup Pie: Pushing DaisiesSee More