3-LAYER SPICED BUTTER RUM CAKE
3-Layer Spiced Butter Rum Cake
- Cooking Time: 45min
- Servings: depends how you slice it
- Preparation Time: 2 days
- 3 ROUND cake pans
- 1 box Butter Pecan cake mix
- 4 Eggs
- 1/2c unsalted Butter, softened
- Chai Tea
- a FIFTH of Sailor Jerry Spiced Rum (or Capt Morgan, or Myers- you pick)
- 1/2tsp ea: Cinnamon, Nutmeg, Cloves, Ginger
- 1c chopped dried, pitted Dates
- 1/2c chopped Pecans, plus:
- 1/2c crushed Pecans for decorating
- 1 pkg Cream Cheese
- 3/4c Confectioner's Sugar
- splash of Milk plus:
- MORE RUM
CAKE- 2 DAYS IN ADVANCE:
* Preheat oven per box instructions.
* Make tea; pour 1c into bowl; add 1c RUM; add DATES and allow to sit and plump til tea cools; strain, reserving liquid, and set dates aside.
* Blend together CAKE MIX and EGGS, using BUTTER and 2c of reserved TEA/RUM, adding MORE RUM if necessary, IN PLACE OF water/margerine per box instructions.
* Add SPICES; using electric mixer, beat 2-3min til softly whipped.
* Fold in DATES and CHOPPED PECANS.
* Pour into THREE (3) round pans sprayed w/cooking spray over sides & bottom; bake per box instructions, inserting toothpick in center to check for doneness (approx 30 min).
* Remove from oven and LEAVE IN PANS; when no longer hot, poke holes in cakes with a fork; sprinkle RUM over cakes (hold your thumb over bottle opening like it's a garden hose, pour & shake) then go do something else for a while.
* SPRINKLE RUM over cakes every 6-8hrs over course of 2 days before assembling cake.
FROSTING & SERVING:
* With electric mixer, cream sugar and cream cheese, alternately adding milk AND RUM as needed to make smooth and fluffy.
* Frost cake between each layer and up the sides, then sprinkle by tipping cake at a slight angle (careful it doesn't slide!) CRUSHED PECANS over sides til covered. Decorate the top however you please!!
* You should have gone thru at least 1/2 that Fifth of Rum making this cake. And your guests aren't going to mind this a bit- but do warn them it's 92 PROOF, so they can opt out of they wish!!