- Cooking Time: 360+ mins
- Servings: at least 20
- Preparation Time: 30-45 mins
BackstoryThe inspiration of this recipe comes from a combination of cooking channel shows and experimentation. It's a great conversation piece (prior to going into the smoker) and it was show cased recently during my carpool's "1st Annual Carpool Camp Out" at the lake!
Submitted by: "Brad Dye"
- 10 lbs. Pork Loin
- 2 lbs. Spicy Italian Sausage
- 4 lbs. Bacon
- 1 Cup of Kirklands Sweet Mesquite Rub (Costco)
- 1 Cup of Dark Brown Sugar
- 3 Tbsp Yellow Mustard
- 1/2 gallon of Apple Juice
- 1. Mix equal portions of Sweet Mesquite Rub with the Dark Brown Sugar to create your "rub".
- 2. Trim the majority of fat from the outside of the Pork Loin.
- 3. Butterfly the Pork Loin.
- 4. Apply a liberal coating of "rub" to the inside of the pork loin.
- 5. Stuff the inside of the pork loin with the spicy Italian sausage, being sure to apply equal portions throughout the loin.
- 6. Close the loin around the spicy Italian sausage.
- 7. Tuck full strips of bacon in a cross hatch pattern around and under the loin (the weight of the loin will keep the bacon secured).
- 8. Apply mustard to the outside of the loin (acts as a bonding agent).
- 9. Apply "rub" over the mustard.
- 10. Cut the remainder of your bacon strips in half.
- 11. Cover the top of the loin with overlapping half strips of bacon (blanketing the entire top).
- 12. You now have 3 Little Pigs in a Blanket!
- 13. Place a heat tolerant tray/container at the door of your smoker's firebox.
- 14. Pour 1/2 gallon of Apple Juice into the tray/container - the purpose of this step is to provide long-lasting moisture inside the smoker.
- 15. Take the previously trimmed pork fat and place it in the tray as well.
- 16. Place the 3 Little Pigs into your smoker rack.
- 17. Apply additional "rub" over the 'blanket' of bacon.
- 18. Pour the remainder of the "rub" into the tray.
- 19. Slow smoke at 225 degrees for approximately 6 1/2 hours - or until the pork loin reads 180 degrees.
- 20. Remove the 3 Little Pigs from the smoker.
- 21. Wrap in foil for 10-15 minutes (allows it to rest)
- 22. Open the foil, cut, and serve with your favorite sides!