- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
- 1 large coffee mug * (see below)
- 4 tbsp flour (some recipes recommend cake flour)
- 4 tbsp sugar
- 2 tbsp unsweetened cocoa
- 1 egg
- 3 tbsp milk
- 3 tbsp vegetable oil
- small splash of vanilla
- 3 tbsp chocolate chips (optional)
- Spray mug with cooking spray, then mix together all the ingredients in the mug, in the order given: first mix all dry ingredients, add egg and mix, then milk, oil and vanilla and mix well. Stir in chocolate chips. ** (see below)
- Place mug in microwave, and cook on high for 3 minutes (more or less depending on your microwave). The cake will rise over the top of the mug, but don't be alarmed. It will not overflow. Allow to cool a little then eat it with a spoon directly from the mug, or tip out onto a plate.
- MY CHANGES:
- * Use a two-cup Pyrex measuring cup instead of mug
- ** Mix the egg, milk, oil, and vanilla separately before adding to the dry ingredients (prevents tough cake due to overmixing).
- NOTE: If using a 1250 watt microwave, change the baking time to 1 minute 43 seconds OR until a toothpick comes out with moist crumbs.
NotesI wanted to make a treat for my husband, but a whole cake sits around too long. So, I decided to make the Microwave Cake in a Mug recipe that has been flying around online lately.
Some people said they problems with the cake overflowing, and cautioned to use a large mug. Others had problems locating large, microwave safe mugs. The two cup Pyrex measuring cup worked perfectly. This recipe makes one very generous serving (OR easily serves two).