- Cooking Time:
- Servings: 4
- Preparation Time: 20
- 2 cups instant minced onion, divided
- 6 cups dried small red beans, divided
- 2-2/3 cups dried lentils, divided
- 1-1/3 cups dried white navy beans, divided
- 1-1/3 cups dried yellow split peas, divided
- 4 cups uncooked brown rice, divided
- 1/4 cup dried crushed basil leaves, divided
- 1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon ground black pepper, divided
- 2 teaspoons cumin powder, divided
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper, divided
- 4 bay leaves
- In each of 4 one-quart jars, layer the following: 1/2 cup red beans, 1/3 cup lentils, 1/3 cup navy beans, 1/2 cup red beans, 1/3 cup lentils, 1/2 cup split peas, and 1/2 cup red beans.
- In each of 4 zip-top plastic bags, place the following: 1/2 cup toasted onion, 1 tablespoon basil, 1 teaspoon black pepper, 1/2 teaspoon cumin powder, 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder, 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper and 1 bay leaf.
- Place 1 spice-filled plastic bag in each jar, on top of red beans.
- Place 1 cup rice in each of 4 zip-top plastic bags and place in jars, on top of spices.
- Cover with jar lids.
- Makes 4 soup mixes.
- Soup Preparation Instructions
- Preparation instructions: Remove rice and spices from jar. Wash beans and combine with 9 cups water in Dutch oven. Bring to a boil; cook 5 minutes. Remove from heat; let stand 30 minutes. Drain. Return beans to saucepan and add rice, 12 cups chicken broth, and spices. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer 1 hour or until beans and rice are tender. Garnish each serving with sliced green onions, if desired. Makes 6 servings.
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
HalFire: A Passion for HotWings!
Angel Acres Soup & Chili CookbookSee More
Almond or Oat Milk
Roasted Rack Of Lamb Persillade
Nathan M’s German Apple Pancakes, modified from Emeril's “There’s a Chef in My World” Cook bookSee More