- Cooking Time:
- Servings: 4
- Preparation Time: 20
- 2 cups instant minced onion, divided
- 6 cups dried small red beans, divided
- 2-2/3 cups dried lentils, divided
- 1-1/3 cups dried white navy beans, divided
- 1-1/3 cups dried yellow split peas, divided
- 4 cups uncooked brown rice, divided
- 1/4 cup dried crushed basil leaves, divided
- 1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon ground black pepper, divided
- 2 teaspoons cumin powder, divided
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper, divided
- 4 bay leaves
- In each of 4 one-quart jars, layer the following: 1/2 cup red beans, 1/3 cup lentils, 1/3 cup navy beans, 1/2 cup red beans, 1/3 cup lentils, 1/2 cup split peas, and 1/2 cup red beans.
- In each of 4 zip-top plastic bags, place the following: 1/2 cup toasted onion, 1 tablespoon basil, 1 teaspoon black pepper, 1/2 teaspoon cumin powder, 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder, 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper and 1 bay leaf.
- Place 1 spice-filled plastic bag in each jar, on top of red beans.
- Place 1 cup rice in each of 4 zip-top plastic bags and place in jars, on top of spices.
- Cover with jar lids.
- Makes 4 soup mixes.
- Soup Preparation Instructions
- Preparation instructions: Remove rice and spices from jar. Wash beans and combine with 9 cups water in Dutch oven. Bring to a boil; cook 5 minutes. Remove from heat; let stand 30 minutes. Drain. Return beans to saucepan and add rice, 12 cups chicken broth, and spices. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer 1 hour or until beans and rice are tender. Garnish each serving with sliced green onions, if desired. Makes 6 servings.
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Happy Father's Day Day... Your Favorite Recipes
Three Sweet Spring Treats from Saddlebred Rescue, Inc.
Easy Homemade Salad DressingsSee More
Hot Artichoke Dip
Lemon Streusel MuffinsSee More