- Servings: 8- 10
- 5 lb. ground beef
- 5 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 yellow onion, chopped
- 1 can (28 oz.) chopped tomatoes with
- 6 to 8 Tbs. chili powder
- 2 tsp. dried oregano
- 1 tsp. ground cumin
- Salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 1/3 cup cornmeal
- 2 cups unsalted beef stock
- Sour cream, chopped red onion, grated,
- cheddar cheese and/or chopped fresh cilantro
- for garnish
In a large sauté pan over medium-high heat, brown half the beef, about 10 minutes.
Using a slotted spoon, transfer the beef to a slow cooker.
Repeat with the remaining beef.
Add the garlic, yellow onion, tomatoes with juices, chili powder, oregano, cumin, salt, pepper, cornmeal and stock to the slow cooker and stir to blend.
Cover and cook for 6 hours according to the manufacturers instructions.
Skim the fat off the surface of the chili.
Ladle the chili into warmed bowls and garnish with sour cream, red onion, cheese and/or cilantro.