- Cooking Time:
- Servings: 8- 10
- Preparation Time:
BackstoryTo ensure impeccably fresh meat, we recommend grinding it yourself with an electric meat grinder. Try using boneless chuck with some of the outer fat still attached.
- 5 lb. ground beef
- 5 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 yellow onion, chopped
- 1 can (28 oz.) chopped tomatoes with
- 6 to 8 Tbs. chili powder
- 2 tsp. dried oregano
- 1 tsp. ground cumin
- Salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 1/3 cup cornmeal
- 2 cups unsalted beef stock
- Sour cream, chopped red onion, grated,
- cheddar cheese and/or chopped fresh cilantro
- for garnish
- In a large sauté pan over medium-high heat, brown half the beef, about 10 minutes.
- Using a slotted spoon, transfer the beef to a slow cooker.
- Repeat with the remaining beef.
- Add the garlic, yellow onion, tomatoes with juices, chili powder, oregano, cumin, salt, pepper, cornmeal and stock to the slow cooker and stir to blend.
- Cover and cook for 6 hours according to the manufacturers instructions.
- Skim the fat off the surface of the chili.
- Ladle the chili into warmed bowls and garnish with sour cream, red onion, cheese and/or cilantro.
Cooking for a family in Korea: notes of an ex-pat wife
MetroCooking Texas 2013
Mr. Ham's Sweet Brown and Red Barbecue Sauce and Other Awesome RecipesSee More
Tortellini with Pumpkin Alfredo Sauce
GRILLED MISO-CITRUS SCALLOP LOLLIPOPS
Chocolate Panna CottaSee More