- Cooking Time: 20 minutes
- Servings: 4
- Preparation Time: 60 minutes
- 1 package active-dry yeast
- ¼ cup warm water
- ½ cup milk
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 egg
- 2 tablespoons shortening
- 2 ½- 3 cups flour
- Put warm water and yeast in a large bowl and proof for 5 minutes.
- Heat milk to lukewarm.
- Remove from heat and stir in salt and sugar.
- Put milk mixture into the bowl of yeast.
- Stir in the egg and shortening.
- Mix in the flour until it is easy to handle.
- Mix dough with hand until moderately stiff.
- Shape, let rise.
- Bake in pre-heated oven 400˚ for 20-25 minutes.
- Serve immediately.
NotesI like baking this recipe for pizza dough or quick cinnamon rolls. This comes from an old cookbook of my mother's from the early 1950's.