- Cooking Time: 20 minutes
- Servings: 4
- Preparation Time: 60 minutes
- 1 package active-dry yeast
- ¼ cup warm water
- ½ cup milk
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 egg
- 2 tablespoons shortening
- 2 ½- 3 cups flour
- Put warm water and yeast in a large bowl and proof for 5 minutes.
- Heat milk to lukewarm.
- Remove from heat and stir in salt and sugar.
- Put milk mixture into the bowl of yeast.
- Stir in the egg and shortening.
- Mix in the flour until it is easy to handle.
- Mix dough with hand until moderately stiff.
- Shape, let rise.
- Bake in pre-heated oven 400˚ for 20-25 minutes.
- Serve immediately.
NotesI like baking this recipe for pizza dough or quick cinnamon rolls. This comes from an old cookbook of my mother's from the early 1950's.
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Victory ala Mode: Recipes from the First Annual South Side Pie Challenge
Growers' Giveback PotluckSee More
Chinese Chicken Salad
Cheese Garlic Rolls
Mushroom GravySee More