8-Layer Chili Casserole
Why I Love This Recipe
Ingredients You'll Need
1 medium onion, chopped (You can also use frozen onion)
* 1 (16 oz) can fat-free refried beans (I think El Paso has them)
* 1 (15 oz) mild vegetarian fat-free chili with black beans (I think Hormel makes some)
* 1 (8 oz) jar mild taco sauce (I recommend doing medium to give it a kick)
* 1 (11 oz) package of flour tortillas, approx. 10Ã¢â‚¬Â size
* My add-ins: Kraft 2% Milk Mexican shredded cheese and fat free sour cream
Spray 2.5 quart, round, microwavable casserole dish with a lid with cooking spray (I didnÃ¢â‚¬â„¢t have that, so I just used a mixing bowl with a lid on top).
In medium-size bowl, microwave onions, covered for 2 minutes.
Stir the refried beans, chili and taco sauce into the onions until well mixed.
Tear two tortillas into small pieces. These will be used to fill in the outer space between the tortilla layer and the casserole dish (I didnÃ¢â‚¬â„¢t do this). Lay one tortilla flat on the bottom of the casserole dish. If needed, use the torn tortilla to fill in the space between the dish and the edge.
Top with Ã‚Â¾ cup of chili mixture. Top the chili with the tortilla.
Continue layering the chili mixture, Ã‚Â¾ cup at a time and then the tortillas, until all ingredients are used.
(Note: I alternated every other layer with a bit of cheese and a bit of sour cream.)
Cover and microwave on high for 10 minutes. Let sit 5 minutes before serving.
Cut with a sharp knife, cutting through all layers as you would a pie.
Questions, Comments & Reviews
More Great Recipes: Main Dish