9 BEAN SOUP
- Cooking Time: 2 hours
- Servings: 8
- Preparation Time: 30 minutes to 45 minutes
- 4 quarts water
- 4 cups dried mixed beans
- 4 quarts water
- 2 14.5 ounce cans of diced tomatoes
- 2 10oz cans of diced tomatoes with green chiles
- 2 large onions (or about 2 cups), chopped
- 2 cloves of garlic minced or crushed (or 1/2 a tsp of garlic powder)
- 1 tsp of salt (I used a little more salt than 1 tsp. Add salt at 1/4 tsp intervals until you reach the desired saltiness)
- 1 tsp dried chives (or 1 tablespoon freshly chopped chives)
- 1 tsp dried chopped jalapenos
- 1/2 teaspoon to 1 tsp of margaram
- 1/2 to 1 tsp of Thyme
- 1/2 to 1 tsp Savory (otherwise known as "summer savory")
- 1/4 tsp to 1 tsp Cilantro
- 1/4 tsp of Cayenne pepper,
- 1/8 to 1/4 tsp celery salt
- Step 1: Rinse beans and sort.
- Step 2: Soak beans in 4 quarts of water.
- (note) If you do not have time to let beans soak over night you can bring the beans to a boil and then simmer for about an hour to an hour and a half. If you chose to follow the quick soak step, skip Step 5, as you will not need to boil and let simmer for another 1.5 hours. The beans will already be tender and ready for Step 6.
- Step 3. Drain beans and rinse them and place in a large stew pan (Must be at least a 10 quart pan).
- Step 4: Add The four quarts (one quart equals 4 cups) of water to the pot of beans.
- Step 5: Bring beans to a boil, then let simmer for one to two hours or until beans are soft and tender. (Skip this step if you chose to follow the wuick soak option)
- Step 6: Add the 2 cans of diced tomatoes, the 2 cans of diced tomatoes and green chilies, and spices to the beans.
- Step 7: cover and let simmer for 30 minutes longer.
NotesThis is a recipe that my mother used to make for my sister and I when we were little. It was really bland but had potential so I added a few things and "spiced" it up a little more. I like my food to be spicy, so those of you who are not much into spicy foods, I would not add the cayenne pepper and the dried diced jalapenos.
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Austin Personal Training Recipes
Quick Breads, Muffins and Cakes...Oh My!
Food Travels Through ItalySee More
Smitten Million Dollar Peanut Butter CookiesSee More