- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
- * 3 to 4 lbs. brust (boneless brisket)
- * 2 Tbsp. schmaltz (oil)
- * 3 large carrots
- * 1/2 lb. prunes
- * 1/2 lb. dried apricots
- * 1 lemon, thinly sliced
- * 3 large sweet potatoes
- * Juice of one orange
- * 5 cups boiling water
- * 1 1/2 Tbsp. brown sugar
- * 2 Tbsp. flour
- Sear meat in hot fat (oil) in a Dutch oven or heavy skillet on top of the stove. Transfer to a roasting pan. Peel carrots and cut into 1-inch round slices. Place them around the meat. Add prunes, apricots and lemon slices.
- Peel sweet potatoes, cut in 1-inch slices . Place over meat and fruit in the roaster. Add orange juice to boiling water. Combine brown sugar and flour and add enough water to make a thin paste. Add this paste to the orange-juice mixture. Pour over the tzimmes. If necessary add more boiling water to bring water to the top of the tzimmes.
- Cover; Bake at 400* F for 1 hour. Reduce heat to 325*F and continue baking 4 1/2 hours. Uncover and bake 30 minutes longer.
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
MetroCooking DC 2013
Julie Tries ... Her Friends' Recipes
Babette's Test KitchenSee More
Calzone de Gen aux épinards (ou bette à carde/chou frisé)
Chocolate Drizzled Lemon and Almond BiscottiSee More