A REAL KENTUCKY DERBY DAY PIE
A Real Kentucky Derby Day Pie
- Cooking Time: 55 minutes
- Servings: 8
- Preparation Time: 10 minutes
- 1/2 (15-ounce) package refrigerated piecrusts
- 1 1/2 cups chopped pecans
- 1 cup (6 ounces) semisweet chocolate morsels
- 1 cup dark corn syrup
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup firmly packed brown sugar
- 1/4 cup bourbon or water (add more bourbon!!)
- 4 large eggs
- 1/4 cup butter or margarine, melted
- 2 teaspoons cornmeal
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
Remove prepared pie crust from freezer
Sprinkle pecans and chocolate evenly onto bottom of pie crust; set aside.
Combine corn syrup and next 3 ingredients in a large saucepan, and bring to a boil over medium heat. Cook, stirring constantly, 3 minutes. Remove from heat.
Whisk together eggs and next 4 ingredients. Gradually whisk about one-fourth hot mixture into egg mixture; add to remaining hot mixture, whisking constantly. Pour filling into prepared pie crust.
Bake at 325° for 55 minutes or until set; cool on wire rack.