- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
- 1 egg
- 1 cup white sugar
- 1 cup sour milk
- 1/3 cup lard
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 pinch salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease and flour a 9 inch square cake pan.Beat egg until light.
- Gradually add sugar, lard, milk and baking soda. Sift together flour, cocoa, salt and baking powder.
- Add to batter and mix in.
- Add vanilla.
- Bake at 350 degrees F (175 degrees C) for 30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into cake comes out clean.
NotesMy great-grandmother Biggs, used to make this cake a very long time ago.
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Gluten-Free and Delicious
Classic Chocolate Recipes Elevated
My Family CookbookSee More
ICE CREAM IN A MARTINI GLASS RIMMED WITH OREO CRUMBS
Cupcake Wars Winning Peaches 'n Cream Cupcakes
Monkfish Stew in White Wine SauceSee More