- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
- 1 1/2 cups flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt -- heaping
- 2 1/2 teaspoons sugar
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter -- cold, cut into 1/2" pieces
- 3 tablespoons solid vegetable shortening -- chilled
- ice water -- 1/3 - 1/2 cup
- 2 eggs
- 1 can pumpkin -- 15 oz
- 3/4 cup whole milk
- 3/4 cup whipping cream
- 1 cup dark brown sugar -- packed
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 3/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 cup whipping cream -- whipped
- To prepare crust, in a large bowl use fork to mix together flour, salt, and sugar.
- Toss in butter chunks and chill 10 minutes in the freezer.
- Blend butter into flour mixture until some chunks of butter are flattened but remain whole.
- Add shortening, blending the same way, until dough is the texture of coarse meal.
- Using form, stir water into flour mixture 1-2 tablespoons at a time, just until dough holds together.
- Gather dough into a ball, wrap in plastic, press into a disk and chill 15-30 minutes.
- On lightly floured surface, roll dough into 1/8" to a scant 1/4" thickness and ease into a deep dish 9" pie pan.
- Fold under edges, trim and crimp edges.
- Chill or freeze crust until ready to fill, at least 1 hour.
- Preheat oven to 425.
- To prepare filling, whisk eggs until well blended.
- Add pumpkin, milk, cream, brown sugar, cinnamon, ginger, and nutmeg whisking until well blended.
- Pour filling into prepared crust.
- Bake on lowest oven rack for 15 minutes.
- Reduce heat to 350 and bake until filling is still slightly jiggly in the center, 40-45 minutes longer.
- Remove pie to cooling rack and cool completely before serving.
- Serve with whipped cream.
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
From Granny's Kitchen...With Love!
Eco-Chefs Kids Culinary Cookbook
Austin Personal Training RecipesSee More
Cinnamon-Apple Chex® Mix
Very Berry Crumble Pie
Salmon Hobo PacksSee More