AJ MCEVOY'S BOURBON STICKY-BUNS
AJ McEvoy's Bourbon Sticky-Buns
- Cooking Time: 25-30
- Servings: 8
- Preparation Time: 45-120,
- • 1 lb. frozen bread dough, thawed,
- OR, better yet, use:
- • Brioche dough (bread machine brioche recipe below)
- Sticky Sauce:
- • 1 1/4 cups packed brown sugar
- • 1/2 cup butter
- • 1 oz. (2 Tablespoons) real maple syrup
- • 2 Tbsp. honey
- • 1/4 cup Kentucky bourbon
- • 1/2 cup chopped pecans
- • 1 tablespoon melted butter
- • 1 tsp. finely-grated orange or lemon zest
- • 1/3 cup packed brown sugar
- • 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- • 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- Brioche Dough:
- Dry ingredients:
- • 3 Cups All-Purpose Flour
- • 1 tsp. salt
- • 1 ½ tsp active dry yeast.
- Wet ingredients:
- • ¾ Cup warm water
- • 2 ¼ Tablespoons oil or melted butter.
- • 2 beaten eggs
- • 2 1/12 Tablespoons sugar
Butter a 13 by 9-inch baking pan. Combine sugar, maple syrup, butter, and honey in small saucepan. Bring to boil over medium heat, stirring to melt sugar well. Add whiskey slowly, off the heat source a tablespoon at a time, being careful to avoid the rapid foam and sputtering that will occur. Boil for 1 minute stirring continuously. Sprinkle pecans into bottom of buttered baking pan. Pour syrup mixture (cooled to only warm, first) over nuts.
Roll dough into a rectangle, about 12X16 inches. Brush with melted butter. Combine sugar, spices, and citrus zest in small bowl. Sprinkle over dough. Roll dough from long side, pressing to seal edges. Cut into 8 slices and place cut side down in baking dish. Cover with plastic wrap. Place in unheated oven with pan/bowl of hot water and allow to rise until doubled, about 1 hour. Remove plastic wrap.
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Bake for 25 to 30 minutes until buns are golden and syrup is bubbly. Cool in pan for 5 minutes. Invert onto foil covered baking sheet. Serve warm.
Put wet ingredients into machine’s pan; dump in flour and salt. Make an indentation in the pile of flour. Pour yeast into this little well. Close machine; set it for “dough” setting (1 ½ hours).