- Cooking Time:
- Servings: 10 scones
- Preparation Time:
- 1 2/3 c. flour
- 1/2 c. firmly packed brown sugar
- 1/3 c. whole wheat flour
- 3/4 tsp. cream of tartar
- 1/2 tsp. baking soda
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/2 tsp. ground cinnamon
- 1/8 tsp. ground ginger
- generous dash ground nutmeg
- generous dash ground mace
- 1/2 c. unsalted butter, chilled
- 1/3 c. buttermilk
- 1 large egg
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 3/4 c. chopped dried apples
- 1/3 c. chopped pecans or walnuts
- 1/3 c. currants or raisins
- APPLE BUTTER SPREAD
- 4 oz. cream cheese, softened
- 1/4 c. apple butter
- 1/4 tsp. vanilla extract
- dash ground cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 375º. Lightly butter a baking sheet.
- In large bowl stir together flour, brown sugar, whole wheat flour, cream of tartar, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg and mace. Cut butter into 1/2" cubes and distribute over flour mixture. With pastry blender or two knives used scissors fashion, cut in butter 'til mixture resembles coarse crumbs. In small bowl stir together buttermilk, egg and vanilla. Add milk mixture to flour mixture and stir to combine. The dough will be sticky. Stir in the apples, nuts and currants 'til evenly distributed.
- Using 1/3 c. measure, drop dough onto prepared baking sheet, leaving about 3" between scones. Bake 20-25 min. or 'til cake tester or toothpick inserted in center of scone comes out clean.
- Remove baking sheet to wire rack to cool for 5 min. Using spatula, transfer scones to wire rack to cool. Serve warm or cool completely and store in airtight container.
- APPLE BUTTER SPREAD
- Place cream cheese, apple butter, vanilla and cinnamon in food processor fitted with steel blade. Process for 20 sec. 'til almost smooth, stopping to scrape down sides of container if necessary.
- Scrape spread into small bowl. Cover and refrigerate 'til slightly firm.
- Makes approx. 2/3 cup.
Notes"Delicious served warm w/Apple Butter Spread (rec. follows) and a cup of tea."
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Adventures in Cooking
BakeSpace's Community Cookbook Live Demonstration at SXSW
Christmas CookiesSee More
Honey Cake (mézeskalács) As My Mother Makes
Delicious, flaky, lard-free pie crustSee More