- Cooking Time:
- Servings: 8
- Preparation Time:
- 1 pound frozen puff pastry dough (look for one with all butter), thawed according to directions
- 7 Granny Smith apples (or other tart, crisp baking apple:apples)
- 3/4 cup lemon juice
- 1 egg yolk
- 4 ounces pure almond paste (not marzipan), such as Odense
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- Caramel Sauce
- Apple Ice
- Heat oven to 400°F.
- Roll the puff pastry to a thickness of 1/4 inch (the store-bought variety will most likely already be this thickness).
- With a 5-inch cookie cutter, or using a dish and a knife, cut the dough into 8 circles, 5 inches in diameter, and place on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
- Poke a few holes in each pastry round with a fork, and place the baking sheets in the refrigerator so that the dough can rest.
- Peel and core the apples.
- Cut each apple in half and slice very thinly with a knife.
- Brush each slice with lemon juice and set aside. Make an egg wash by whisking together the egg yolk and 2 teaspoons of water in a small bowl.
- Remove the pastry rounds from the fridge and brush the surface of each with egg wash.
- Roll a teaspoon of almond paste into a ball, flatten it like a coin, and place it in the center of a pastry round; repeat with the other rounds.
- Using about three-quarters of an apple per tart, layer apple slices around the almond paste, creating a circular fan of apples around the tart and leaving most of the almond paste center exposed.
- Place tarts in the fridge to rest for 20 minutes.
- Remove the tarts from the refrigerator and sprinkle each with 1 tablespoon granulated sugar.
- Bake 15 minutes or until golden brown.
- Dust each tart with powdered sugar and drizzle with Caramel Sauce.
- Serve some Apple Ice with each tart.