- Cooking Time:
- Servings: 8
- Preparation Time:
- 1 pound frozen puff pastry dough (look for one with all butter), thawed according to directions
- 7 Granny Smith apples (or other tart, crisp baking apple:apples)
- 3/4 cup lemon juice
- 1 egg yolk
- 4 ounces pure almond paste (not marzipan), such as Odense
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- Caramel Sauce
- Apple Ice
- Heat oven to 400°F.
- Roll the puff pastry to a thickness of 1/4 inch (the store-bought variety will most likely already be this thickness).
- With a 5-inch cookie cutter, or using a dish and a knife, cut the dough into 8 circles, 5 inches in diameter, and place on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
- Poke a few holes in each pastry round with a fork, and place the baking sheets in the refrigerator so that the dough can rest.
- Peel and core the apples.
- Cut each apple in half and slice very thinly with a knife.
- Brush each slice with lemon juice and set aside. Make an egg wash by whisking together the egg yolk and 2 teaspoons of water in a small bowl.
- Remove the pastry rounds from the fridge and brush the surface of each with egg wash.
- Roll a teaspoon of almond paste into a ball, flatten it like a coin, and place it in the center of a pastry round; repeat with the other rounds.
- Using about three-quarters of an apple per tart, layer apple slices around the almond paste, creating a circular fan of apples around the tart and leaving most of the almond paste center exposed.
- Place tarts in the fridge to rest for 20 minutes.
- Remove the tarts from the refrigerator and sprinkle each with 1 tablespoon granulated sugar.
- Bake 15 minutes or until golden brown.
- Dust each tart with powdered sugar and drizzle with Caramel Sauce.
- Serve some Apple Ice with each tart.
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Second Grade Holiday Cookbook
Recipes in Rotation with Douglas E. WelchSee More
Super Easy Chicken and Pepper Mexican Spiced Rice Stir Fry
How To Make Caramelized Onions
Salted Nut SquaresSee More