- Cooking Time:
- Servings: 8 scones
- Preparation Time:
- 2 c. flour
- 1/3 c. sugar
- 2 tsp. baking powder
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/4 c. unsalted butter, chilled
- 1/2 c. heavy whipping cream
- 1 large egg
- 1 1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
- 6 oz. white chocolate, cut into 1/2" chunks
- 1 c. toasted coarsely broken walnuts (see note)
- 1 c. finely chopped dried apricots
- Preheat oven to 375ºF.
- In large bowl stir together the flours, sugar, baking powder and salt. Cut butter into 1/2" cubes and distribute over flour mixture. With pastry blender or two knives used scissors fashion, cut in butter 'til mixture resembles coarse crumbs. In small bowl stir together cream, egg and vanilla. Add cream mixture to flour mixture and knead 'til combined. Knead in the white chocolate, walnuts and apricots.
- With lightly floured hands, pat dough into an 9" circle in center of ungreased baking sheet. With serrated knife, cut into 8 wedges. Bake for 15-20 min. 'til top is lightly browned.
- Remove baking sheet to wire rack and cool for 5 min. Using a spatula transfer scones to wire rack to cool. Re-cut wedges, if necessary. Serve warm or cool completely and store in airtight container.
- Note: To toast walnuts, place in single layer on baking sheet and bake at 375ºF for 5-7 min. shaking the sheet a couple times 'til nuts are fragrant.
- Variation: To make scone hearts, on lightly floured work surface pat out dough to thickness of about 5/8". Using 3 1/4" heart-shaped cookie cutter, cut dough into hearts. Gather scraps of dough together and repeat 'til all dough has been used to make the hearts. Transfer hearts to baking sheet and bake as above. Makes about 9 hearts.
Notes"Apricots, white chocolate and toasted walnuts make a wonderful flavor combination. The heart-shaped variation is perfect for a romantic addition to breakfast in bed. You can shape the scones into heart shapes ahead of time. Wrap the unbaked scones tightly in plastic wrap and aluminum foil and freeze. Bake the still-frozen scone hearts about 20-25 min."
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Babette's Test Kitchen
The Best of Brock: Celebrating 85 Years of Cooking
Short & SweetSee More
Delicious Fudgy Black Bean Brownies
Steamed vegetables saladSee More