- Cooking Time:
- Servings: 6 scones
- Preparation Time:
- For the Scones:
- 1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 1/2 teaspoons grated orange peel
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup cold unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup finely chopped dried apricots* (See Note Below)
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 1 egg
- 3 tablespoons milk
- For the Topping:
- 2 teaspoons orange juice
- 1 tablespoon coarse sugar
- Apricot-Butter Spread: (optional)
- 2/3 cup butter, softened
- 4 tablespoons apricot preserves
- To Make the Scones :
- Preheat oven to 375°F (190°C).
- Combine 1 1/2 cups flour, 1/4 cup sugar, baking powder, baking soda, orange peel and salt in large bowl; cut in 1/4 cup cold butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
- Coat apricots with remaining flour in small bowl; stir into flour mixture.
- Combine sour cream, egg and milk in same small bowl. Stir into flour mixture just until moistened (1 minute). Turn dough onto lightly floured surface; knead 5 to times until smooth.
- Pat dough to 7-inch circle on greased baking sheet. Score into 6 wedges; do not separate.
- Brush dough with orange juice; sprinkle with 1 tablespoon sugar.
- Bake for 18 to 23 minutes or until lightly browned. Serve with Apricot-Butter Spread, jam or preserves, jelly, double or clotted cream, or creme fraiche.
- To Make Apricot-Butter Spread:
- Combine 2/3 cup softened butter and apricot preserves in small bowl. Cover, and refrigerate until ready to serve scones. Put two tablespoons of Apricot-Butter Spread into six (6) small butter ramekins, and serve with each scone.
- *Note on Substitutions*
- If desired, substitute 1/2 cup of your favorite dried fruit for the dried apricots in this recipe. If you are substituting another dried fruit for the apricots, you can also substitute another flavor preserves to make the "Butter Spread" in this recipe. For example; for Peach-Butter Spread; use peach preserves instead of apricot preserves.
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Science 8 is Cooking with Chemistry 2013
Favourites from Ana's Romanian KitchenSee More
Calzone de Gen aux épinards (ou bette à carde/chou frisé)
Chocolate Drizzled Lemon and Almond BiscottiSee More