- Cooking Time:
- Servings: 20
- Preparation Time:
- APRICOT SHORTBREAD
- 1/3 cup soft butter
- 1/2 cup light brown sugar, firmly packed
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup dried apricots
- 1 tsp. grated lemon peel
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 2 tsp. cornstarch
- 1/3 cup chopped walnuts
- Preheat oven to 350º.
- Make shortbread: Beat butter and sugar until light and fluffy, then add flour.
- Pat mixture evenly in an 8x8x 2" baking pan. Bake 12 min. or until light golden color. Cool completely
- meanwhile make filling. Place apricots in a sm. saucepan and add enough water just to cover. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, cover and simmer 15 min.Drain apricots, reserving 3 tbsp liquid.
- Chop apricots fine. Combine in sm saucepan with reserved liquid. lemon peel, sugar and cornstarch. Bring to a boil, stirring for 1 min.
- Let filling cool 10 min. Spread evenly over shortbread. Sprinkle with walnuts.
- Bake for 20 min. Cool completely and sprinkled with powdered sugar.
- Cut into 20 squares
NotesThis is really a great recipe. I have been making it for, I'm guessing, over 30 years.
There is only one problem. It doesn't cut nicely so if you are looking for something pretty for fussy company this might not be the recipe you want. It doesn't bother me a bit because it's so good.
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Austin Personal Training Recipes
Quick Breads, Muffins and Cakes...Oh My!
Food Travels Through ItalySee More
Smitten Million Dollar Peanut Butter CookiesSee More