- Cooking Time: 55
- Servings: 10-12
- Preparation Time: 20
- 1 cup butter
- 2 cups sugar
- 3 cups flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 cup milk
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp almond extract
- 1 cup chopped blanched almonds
- 6 egg whites
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1.Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- 2.Cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
- 3.Sift together flour and baking powder; remove 2 tbs and set aside.
- 4.Add sifted ingredients, alternating with milk, to creamed mixture.
- 5.Stir in vanilla and almond extract.
- 6.Combine almonds with reserved flour and add to batter.
- 7.Beat egg whites until stiff; add salt. Fold into batter.
- 8.Pour into greased and floured tube pan.
- Bake until a cake tester comes out clean - about 55 minutes.
- 9.Cool 5-10 minutes; remove from pan and finish cooling on rack.
NotesMy son isn't a big fan of cake, but when he was reading a book about Abraham Lincoln and found this recipe for a cake that Mary Todd Lincoln would fix for Abraham, he just had to try it (Abraham is his favorite President)...and it's been his favorite cake ever since! The rest of the family agrees that it's one of the best!
A Scrapbook Look at Abraham and Mary * Candace Flemming
Submitted by: "Christina Peterson"
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Koken met Oma
Science 8 is Cooking with Chemistry!
WorkingBug's Open House CookbookSee More
pistachio cranberry icebox cookies
Teeny Tiny Italian Meat-loaves
Mom's Holiday Stove Top StuffingSee More